Anybody have burned lips?

cowman
cowman Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I guess the chemo burned my lips and I have something like a bad sunburn that has turned into a white scab across my lips. I got four of five kinds of lip treatment at the store but I figure you guys might know what would work best. My oncologist said to use "water based" formula. Anybody have a good product? Thanks.

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    chapstick
    Hello! My nurses told me to stay away from any kind of 'stick' lip balm. Apparently there are drying agents in them, and do not really help. I recommend Burt's Beeswax products in the little flat tins. They make your lips feel cool like peppermint, and really soothe.

I hope this helps!
    Hugs,
    Krista
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Magic Mouthwash
    Your oncologist can give you a prescription for it. It really works, not only on mouth sores, but the lips as well. Also, my nurses recommended getting cantaloupe very, very cold and sucking it like a Popsicle. It has a healing agent that helped the lip pain...and it combats nausea as well.

Vicki
  • ittapp
    ittapp Member Posts: 383 Member
    carmax works good at
    carmax works good at stopping the pain! I have burned lips also and hoping they clear up soon. Thanks, Patti
  • Mary5777
    Mary5777 Member Posts: 18
    I thought i was going crazy
    I thought i was going crazy with these burnt lips. I had sores before with my chemo, but now on Erbitux and Folfiri, i have really sore lips and sores on my tongue. I have tried my magic mouthwash, cetaphil,etc. Brought some carmex yesterday,and am trying that. They just don't seem to be going away. It is really painful to eat and talk. And for me that is alot. Do they ever go away? You would think with all we have been through that this would not frustrate me so much.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    ittapp said:

carmax works good at
    carmax works good at stopping the pain! I have burned lips also and hoping they clear up soon. Thanks, Patti

Carmex?
    My doc and nurses said not to use it, or any petroleum based lip products, as it coated the sores and didn't allow them to heal. I know everyone reacts differently, but it made sense to me.

Hugs, Vicki