High Intensity Focused Ultrasound

user1
user1 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Have any of you heard of HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound)? From the research online it looks very promising...look forward to comments.

Comments

• lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    I have heard about it and
    I have heard about it and talked to a Dr. from I believe South Carolina on the phone about it. You have to go out of the USA for treatments since it is not approved. He does his in either the bahamas or mexico. Insurance usually will not pay for it since its not approved so out of pocket, I think he quoted me around $38,000. He also sent me several email articles to read. I'm sticking with my Robotic surgery on August 12th. Larry
  • mt3
    mt3 Member Posts: 1
    Hifu
    HIFU is very promising, but there is no scientific research evidence on
    the efficacy. I asked the centre for study results and they don't have any yet.
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    mt3 said:

Hifu
    HIFU is very promising, but there is no scientific research evidence on
    the efficacy. I asked the centre for study results and they don't have any yet.

As far as being involved
    As far as being involved with a study you have to be over age 60 for HIFU and a Gleason 6 or under. I strike out on both criteria.
  • channelsurferdude
    channelsurferdude Member Posts: 12
    lewvino said:

I have heard about it and
    I have heard about it and talked to a Dr. from I believe South Carolina on the phone about it. You have to go out of the USA for treatments since it is not approved. He does his in either the bahamas or mexico. Insurance usually will not pay for it since its not approved so out of pocket, I think he quoted me around $38,000. He also sent me several email articles to read. I'm sticking with my Robotic surgery on August 12th. Larry

HIFU
    Cost in Mexico is $25,000. I'm considering...