Totally non BC question

Options
1surfermom
1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After a decade of abuse ( trust me used the thing everyday). My 10 year old washer has finally met its demise. Does anyone own a High Efficiency washer and dryer?( I they are the tall type that come in really cool colors).Do you like them would you purchase then again? This is a really significant investment for me and I'm wondering if I should just purchase a normal washer. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you Surf

Comments

• mrsziggy
    mrsziggy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm in the same boat
    I'm sorry I do not have an answer for you but I'm very glad you asked the question. The only difference in my case is that my washer and dryer are 23 yrs old. I purchased them when I got married and used them daily. I think I got my money's worth, watcha think? But they have finally seen their better days. I'm also open for suggestions on a new purchase.
    Tracy
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hi Surf....
    My daughter has that type of washer and dryer and she just loves them because she can do much bigger loads than in her old ones. That was one reason that they were attracted to them.

The other reason is that my son-in-law is an Energy Star consultant and he always insists on buying the most energy efficient EVERYTHING! So I would guess that they are also quite energy efficient.

I would love having them myself, but there is no way that they will fit where they would have to go here.

Hope this helps a bit.

CR
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Hi Surf....
    My daughter has that type of washer and dryer and she just loves them because she can do much bigger loads than in her old ones. That was one reason that they were attracted to them.

The other reason is that my son-in-law is an Energy Star consultant and he always insists on buying the most energy efficient EVERYTHING! So I would guess that they are also quite energy efficient.

I would love having them myself, but there is no way that they will fit where they would have to go here.

Hope this helps a bit.

CR

I have them and I love them.
    I have them and I love them. They are efficient and hold more clothes. I didn't get the really fancy, schmancy steam one. I got LGs at Home Depot for about 850 each. I couldn't see spending 1200 each for them. I didn't get the pedestals but I think I will. It will bring up the height and I won't have to bend over to grab the clothes from the washer. When they are wet, the small stuff clings and you have to reach in. But then my other washer was deep and I had to use BBQ Tongs to get out socks and little stuff. I have short little arms. I had our other washer and dryer for over 25 years. It seems that the new ones get the clothes cleaner (whites are not dinghy) but that could be because the other washer was so old. They were a good choice for me. My best friend has the top of the line ones and she adores them. One thing to consider, what is the placement of your current washer, dryer. If your washer is on the right then the doors will open into each other and moving clothes from the washer to dryer is a little more of a hassle. Washer on the left and dryer works best.
    Hope this helps. Next I want to get a french door, freezer at the bottom frig. I have a side by side and I have hated it for 15 years. I wish it would die. I can't justify buying a new one when it works well. But I hate the narrow freezer so much. And I want a flat top stove with a convection oven (even though I rarely cook) and a new dishwasher (my is so old the racks are rotting). Hell, maybe it's time for a new house. 33 years is too long in one home. Time to move. No, that would mean sorting, selling and packing.
    Thanks for opening this can of worms. LOL
    Stef
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I had a front loader but not
    I had a front loader but not the brand you are talking about and the problem we had with it was the rubber seal around the opening would hold dirty water and start to smell with bacteria. It was putting the smell on the towels. Yuk. You had to clean out between the rubber and it was gross. When the washer quit working we got a regular top loader again.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

I have them and I love them.
    I have them and I love them. They are efficient and hold more clothes. I didn't get the really fancy, schmancy steam one. I got LGs at Home Depot for about 850 each. I couldn't see spending 1200 each for them. I didn't get the pedestals but I think I will. It will bring up the height and I won't have to bend over to grab the clothes from the washer. When they are wet, the small stuff clings and you have to reach in. But then my other washer was deep and I had to use BBQ Tongs to get out socks and little stuff. I have short little arms. I had our other washer and dryer for over 25 years. It seems that the new ones get the clothes cleaner (whites are not dinghy) but that could be because the other washer was so old. They were a good choice for me. My best friend has the top of the line ones and she adores them. One thing to consider, what is the placement of your current washer, dryer. If your washer is on the right then the doors will open into each other and moving clothes from the washer to dryer is a little more of a hassle. Washer on the left and dryer works best.
    Hope this helps. Next I want to get a french door, freezer at the bottom frig. I have a side by side and I have hated it for 15 years. I wish it would die. I can't justify buying a new one when it works well. But I hate the narrow freezer so much. And I want a flat top stove with a convection oven (even though I rarely cook) and a new dishwasher (my is so old the racks are rotting). Hell, maybe it's time for a new house. 33 years is too long in one home. Time to move. No, that would mean sorting, selling and packing.
    Thanks for opening this can of worms. LOL
    Stef

Haha, Stef!
    Whenever one of our older, large appliances dies, Joe accuses me of sabotage. (I'm not talking.) However, I can tell you that dishwashers really don't like it when you forget to scrape the dishes....

Sorry can't help you with the fridge and house. The fridge I hated for 18 years finally gave up a month or so ago, and I'm still working on the new house myself. Good luck.

Surf, I vote for the HE, too. By the way, hope the pump infusion is going well and no pain.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I had a front loader but not
    I had a front loader but not the brand you are talking about and the problem we had with it was the rubber seal around the opening would hold dirty water and start to smell with bacteria. It was putting the smell on the towels. Yuk. You had to clean out between the rubber and it was gross. When the washer quit working we got a regular top loader again.

Sears
    Automatic, front loader HE......Wonderful......BUT It ain't working at the moment, we need a repairman.

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Sears
    Automatic, front loader HE......Wonderful......BUT It ain't working at the moment, we need a repairman.

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My dead washer
    Thank you for all of your help. I've decided to go with the front loader HE. I like the fact that it can do large loads so I can wash less. I'm going to check for Fourth of July sales and see where I can get the best deal. Marcia, I hope I don't end up with the yucky mold problem, I'm on chemo until Sept. and that would put me over the edge ( I'm an easy vomiter ). Love Surf
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

My dead washer
    Thank you for all of your help. I've decided to go with the front loader HE. I like the fact that it can do large loads so I can wash less. I'm going to check for Fourth of July sales and see where I can get the best deal. Marcia, I hope I don't end up with the yucky mold problem, I'm on chemo until Sept. and that would put me over the edge ( I'm an easy vomiter ). Love Surf

I keep a towel in the
    I keep a towel in the laundry room and wipe around the seal and the glass on the front after each load. Then I wash the towel with the other towels. It doesn't get yucky that way. And there is a little door that you clean out every few weeks. I let my hubby do that.
    Stef
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Hey Surf!
    I got a Whirlpool HE top loader with no agitator. you can put larger loads in that way, even those big comforters. Love it! Had to yell at my old ones for a long time before they finally gave up and I could buy new ones. Just kept with white because the colors are $100.00 more. Got it at Best Buy and have had no problems at all!
    Good luck! and it was great meeting you!!!
    =^..^=
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Hey Surf!
    I got a Whirlpool HE top loader with no agitator. you can put larger loads in that way, even those big comforters. Love it! Had to yell at my old ones for a long time before they finally gave up and I could buy new ones. Just kept with white because the colors are $100.00 more. Got it at Best Buy and have had no problems at all!
    Good luck! and it was great meeting you!!!
    =^..^=

I have what Cat has and I
    I have what Cat has and I love it too! I always like the top loader, no problems with it.