Latissimus Dorsi Flap Reconstruction

mmsmax
mmsmax Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had Lat Dorsi Flap Reconstruction Surgery on May 29th, 2009. Last week, I had the third drain removed, even though I was still producing too much fluid. I see my doctor tomorrow, and I am so swollen, I know he will have to do needle aspirations. I have an ace bandage around my chest currently, and I'm sore! My big question is, can the fluid build up and aspiration process go on for awhile? I had a left breast mastectomy last January 2, 2009. Doctor says I am doing well from surgery, except the fluid. I just want to feel well again, and I'm feeling anxious about all this. Any comments that could help? I have been super positive about ALL of this and want to remain so. Some days are hard.

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Welcome mmsmax to the site!
    Welcome mmsmax to the site! I am sorry, but, I can't answer your question, but, others here will. I wish you all the best and hope that you feel more relaxed soon.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Noel said:

Welcome mmsmax to the site! I am sorry, but, I can't answer your question, but, others here will. I wish you all the best and hope that you feel more relaxed soon.

Hello~Welcome
    I had my latissimus flap done last October. I did not have any trouble with swelling. May I pass on a suggestion my doctor gave me? It was to prop myself up and lay on my back when resting or sleeping. He said the pressure would help the drainage, and the angle would help with gravity bringing the fluid downward where our lymph system helps our body absorb it and we just "pee" it out. I do remember having to wear a compression type of "corset" for about a week. There is light at the end of the tunnel. 6 weeks after surgery I was out Christmas shopping with a girlfriend. I paced myself for energy. By the first of the year I felt more like my old self. Hang in there.
  • mmsmax

Hello~Welcome
    I had my latissimus flap done last October. I did not have any trouble with swelling. May I pass on a suggestion my doctor gave me? It was to prop myself up and lay on my back when resting or sleeping. He said the pressure would help the drainage, and the angle would help with gravity bringing the fluid downward where our lymph system helps our body absorb it and we just "pee" it out. I do remember having to wear a compression type of "corset" for about a week. There is light at the end of the tunnel. 6 weeks after surgery I was out Christmas shopping with a girlfriend. I paced myself for energy. By the first of the year I felt more like my old self. Hang in there.

Thanks! You're absolutely
    Thanks! You're absolutely right; things will be much better soon. I am going to try sleeping with two pillows tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have pretty good news from my doctor! I appreciate your advice and response!
  • mmsmax
    Noel said:

Thanks for responding! I
    Thanks for responding! I did get advice about propping myself up to sleep to help drain the fluid! Hopefully things will be much better really soon!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    mmsmax said:

Thanks for responding! I
    Thanks for responding! I did get advice about propping myself up to sleep to help drain the fluid! Hopefully things will be much better really soon!

Silly me~
    I slept with 4 pillows~what a pillow hog i am. It sure made a difference. I hope you get rest and a good report from the doc. Keep us all posted.
    Melanie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    mmsmax said:

Thanks for responding! I

I hope you feel better soon!
    I hope you feel better soon!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    welcome mmsmax
    sounds like you are right in the middle of your recovery. I have not been through this part yet, but I know there is a lot of fluid buildup. So take care and keep us up to date.

=^..^=
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Welcome, mmsmax
    My surgery was lumpectomy, but I see that others have stepped forward with useful suggestions. I hope you'll be feeling better very soon.

Again, welcome. We're all here to support and encourage each other.

Kind regards, Susan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    I can't offer any advice
    I can't offer any advice mmsmax, but, I do want to wish you good health. I am sure others will post and help you with their experience!
  • mmsmax
    thanks to you all!!!
    I did have a lot of fluid taken from the back surgical area last Thursday, but the doctor was pretty positive about everything else. I actually go back in the morning (Monday), to have another needle aspiration. He told me he "might" have to put in a drain if it doesn't slow down, but hopefully it is slowing down. I have a bandage wrapped tightly around my chest right now. I feel like I have really made it to the other side of all this, the mastectomy, the lat dorsi recon surgery, and all of the recovery in between. I feel blessed; this is just a minor inconvenience. The breast reconstruction is looking grea, and it feels wonderful to actually have a breast with my own skin and muscle to hold the implant. The last small surgery will be in three months for the final implants. I would recommend this lat dorsi reconstruction to anyone who might be considering the surgery. I want to thank all of you for responding to my comments from last week, and I'm glad to be a part of this awesome group of women!
    Mari
  • GreeneyedGirl
    mmsmax said:

thanks to you all!!!
    I did have a lot of fluid taken from the back surgical area last Thursday, but the doctor was pretty positive about everything else. I actually go back in the morning (Monday), to have another needle aspiration. He told me he "might" have to put in a drain if it doesn't slow down, but hopefully it is slowing down. I have a bandage wrapped tightly around my chest right now. I feel like I have really made it to the other side of all this, the mastectomy, the lat dorsi recon surgery, and all of the recovery in between. I feel blessed; this is just a minor inconvenience. The breast reconstruction is looking grea, and it feels wonderful to actually have a breast with my own skin and muscle to hold the implant. The last small surgery will be in three months for the final implants. I would recommend this lat dorsi reconstruction to anyone who might be considering the surgery. I want to thank all of you for responding to my comments from last week, and I'm glad to be a part of this awesome group of women!
    Mari

You sound good!
    Mari, you sound great. I am glad things are turning a corner for you and you feel so good.
    Melanie
  • Hello~Welcome

Lat surgery question
    Hi,
    I just had Lat surgery following a simple mastectomy and placement of an expander. Did you have an expander? followed by an implant? I am questioning my surgeons expanding and implant placement surgery timeline; which seems very fast.
    Any info would be helpful.