Paying for followup tests

Sunriver
Sunriver Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed stage 2 in 2006, had surgery, chemo and have been NED since. I thought my problems were over but I was wrong. I have insurance but I have a $7500 deductable. My most recent CT scan cost $4700 and I am supposed to have a colonoscopy this year also. I can't afford these followup tests. I work at a grocery store for $10/hour. What do people in my position do? What do people without insurance do? Do I have to skip followup tests and hope for the best? Any input would be helpful...Mark

Comments

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Paying for Tests
    Mark I am sorry your insurance isn't so good, but you might try negotiating with your docs. Health insurance is obviously one of our biggest national issues.

However, I am sort of shocked by the $4700 bill for your CT scans. My last CT scan (chest abdomen pelvis) in March '09 was billed at $1917, but the negotiated insurance price was $705, plus my $45 copay. Last November the billed rate from the same radiologist was $1707 with the insurance price of $905 plus my copay. So, it is obvious that CT's don't really cost $4700. Trust me, my radiology facility is high class - nice facility, radiologist has a great reputation in the DC area. You should really investigate this charge. Our current insurance situation is strange - the billed amounts are often huge and have nothing to do with what insurance companies are contracted to pay. Does that mean that only the un/under - insured pay those crazy prices? It makes me sick, but I think you should investigate your bill.
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Out of Pocket Expenses
    Here are some resources. I really hope you find help.

The Patient Access Network Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to supporting the needs of underinsured patients who cannot access the treatments they need due to out-of-pocket health care costs. Phone 866-316-PANF (866-316-7263).

Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF)
    A nonprofit organization that seeks to safeguard patients by serving as liaisons with insurers, employers, and/or providing advice on debt crisis matters relative to their diagnoses. Phone 866-657-8634.

National Coalition for Cancer Research (NCCR)
    A coalition committed to improving the quality of life of cancer patients throughout the world through financial relief, research, and education. NCCR works to reduce the suffering of cancer patients and their families by meeting unfulfilled needs with medical and financial relief. Phone 919-821-2182.
  • Sunriver
    Sunriver Member Posts: 50
    kimby said:

Out of Pocket Expenses
    Here are some resources. I really hope you find help.

The Patient Access Network Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to supporting the needs of underinsured patients who cannot access the treatments they need due to out-of-pocket health care costs. Phone 866-316-PANF (866-316-7263).

Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF)
    A nonprofit organization that seeks to safeguard patients by serving as liaisons with insurers, employers, and/or providing advice on debt crisis matters relative to their diagnoses. Phone 866-657-8634.

National Coalition for Cancer Research (NCCR)
    A coalition committed to improving the quality of life of cancer patients throughout the world through financial relief, research, and education. NCCR works to reduce the suffering of cancer patients and their families by meeting unfulfilled needs with medical and financial relief. Phone 919-821-2182.

Thanks for the info
    Thanks kimby. This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    expensive CT's
    An EOB I saw recently from what my insurance paid out showed my insurance (Aetna HMO) actually paid out well over $3,000 for a CT and over $4,000 for a PET. I would ask your doctors, hospitals, and Amer. Cancer Society if there are places you can go for a less expensive scan and colonoscopy. Find out by asking in the business offices and/or pleading w/ your doctors what can be worked out. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"- I hope this will be a truism in your case.

Best wishes for you-
    Lisa