question liver enzymes

Kathleen808
Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
**** went in for his blood work prior to chemo (which is tomorrow). Most numbers look good. However, on 5/22/09 his AST was 83 (normal 0 - 37) and his ALT was 105 (normal 0-40). Then today AST 48 and ALT 54. These are down from 2 weeks ago but still not in the normal range. **** had a PET scan 2 weeks ago and got an all clear. We have not paid any attention to the liver numbers so we don't know if numbers get really high and his are only a bit high??? The oncologist said the the meds, especially the Oxi can do this. Have any of you had experience with high liver enzymes and it turned out not to be a sign of cancer spreading?
Thank you.
Aloha,
Kathleen

Comments

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Aloha!
    Hi Kathleen,

It looks like ****'s liver values are approaching the norm. As long as they are moving in the right direction I wouldn't worry too much. Like his onc said, the chemo can do a number (pun intended) on various values, so as long as his are tending downward it sounds decent. Also, a lot of these numbers are indicators only--not definitive diagnostics. Try to see what happens next time after chemo. If his numbers are still a little high, but still trending down, it sounds like the chemo is doing its job, but leaving its own artifact behind.

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    high liver enzymes
    Hi Kathleen,

It's apparently common for liver numbers to be elevated during chemo treatments and for a while following surgery. Mine have been in the normal range again since I've lowered my chemo intake and am just on a lower maintenance level dose. My onc and the nurses didn't seem terribly concerned when mine were elevated, though- they said it's common while receiving chemo. I know they look at the numbers because certainly too high is bad, but I've had many lab readings where they've been high and they weren't concerned.

Hang in there!
    Lisa
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    liver enzymes
    Mine also went up and down while on the chemo (5FU, leukovorin, oxaliplatin). My oncologist was not alarmed. One thing which I did which was a comfort (a suggestion from my naturopath) was yarrow compresses. Don't know if it supported my liver, but it did cut down on my anxiety and I would often nap for an hour.

Leslie
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    thank you
    Thank you for your replies. It is so good to hear from others' experiences. When the doc says it could be from the chemo, it is good to hear that for some people that has been true. **** is off to his 7th folfox right now (he left the house at 5:00am and went surfing 1st since a big swell was in town. :) )
    Thanks again.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen