Exercise while on chemo

1surfermom
1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,
Just a quick question. I am now on Taxol, Herceptin and Lapatinib(sp?). I feel much better than when I was on AC. I have not really exercised (even walking the dog) since March. I would like to build up my stamina again by walking on a treadmill. How does exercise affect blood counts? Does it help fight the fatigue? Any imput would be appreciated Love Surf.

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    exercising
    Surf,

I was never told to stop doing things on chemo, just to be careful hurting or cutting yourself because of infection. I actually built retaining walls in my yard (my brother laughed at them), dug holes, planted trees, fell down hills (my husband laughed), cut bushes (not mine, I was bald, he he), etc.

In other words, do what you can as much as you can, it is good for you as long as you don't overdo!

Have fun!

Cat
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Exercise...
    Surf - I'll simply chime in with Cat. Do what you feel up to doing. And be sure to rest when you feel you need to. Movement, of any kind, is good for circulation. So, go ahead - get on your treadmill. Just start slow - a few minutes first day, and work your way up as tolerable. And take that much-in-need-of-a-walk-with-you dog for a little stroll, too! :-)

In fact, my onc instructed me that it was absolutely "mandatory" to walk - outdoors - for 30 minutes each day, no matter what, no matter the weather, all throughout chemo. There were many days when it was truly difficult, to put it mildly.

Kind regards, Susan
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I agree
    I agree with the other ladies...do whatever you feel up to. The excersize will only help, if you are careful not to overdo, or to expose yourself to sources of infection. It will help you emotionally, it will help your circulation, and will help maintain your strength. Just be sure to get enough rest too.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can. seof.
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Hi Surfer Mom
    Just dream of getting back on your surf board and slowly work your way up to that dream.
    I always wished that I could surf but our waves here arn't the surfing kind- too small.
    Our beaches are good for sunbathing, getting wet and girl watching.
    Bill S.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Dancing The Night Away
    I, like the others, did what I wanted to~ in the summertime the wineries here oftentimes have concerts/picnics in the evenings, and I went to a number of them during chemo. I would even get up and dance if the spirit moved me~ Pancho Sanchez was great for that, as was Los Lobos~ who can stay sitting for a live version of La Bamba????

Just listen to your body, it turly is the best indicator of what you should or shouldn't be doing!

Hugs,
    Claudia

PS my theory was, if I was going to be exhausted from being ill and chemo anyway~ as long as I wasn't in danger of getting an infectiion, why not let my exhaustion be caused by laughter, dancing, and being with friends????
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    chenheart said:

Dancing The Night Away
    I, like the others, did what I wanted to~ in the summertime the wineries here oftentimes have concerts/picnics in the evenings, and I went to a number of them during chemo. I would even get up and dance if the spirit moved me~ Pancho Sanchez was great for that, as was Los Lobos~ who can stay sitting for a live version of La Bamba????

Just listen to your body, it turly is the best indicator of what you should or shouldn't be doing!

Hugs,
    Claudia

PS my theory was, if I was going to be exhausted from being ill and chemo anyway~ as long as I wasn't in danger of getting an infectiion, why not let my exhaustion be caused by laughter, dancing, and being with friends????

listen to your body
    Today, I went to a class at my hospital about exercise and fatigue. Research says that excercise does reduce fatigue. They did say that during treatment you need to listen to your body and not overdo it. they say it is important to excercise as often as possible. One of the best exercises is walking even if it is only around the house.

Best wishes
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

listen to your body
    Today, I went to a class at my hospital about exercise and fatigue. Research says that excercise does reduce fatigue. They did say that during treatment you need to listen to your body and not overdo it. they say it is important to excercise as often as possible. One of the best exercises is walking even if it is only around the house.

Best wishes

The walking around the house
    The walking around the house is a very good idea. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I wanted to increase my exercise but was worried if I walked in the neighborhood maybe I would not realize how tired I was and would be too far from the house or maybe my sugars might drop. We didn't have a treadmill and I didn't really want to spend the money buying something I might use for a little while and then the monolith would sit in a room unused. So what I did was to set the timer on the stove (at first for 15 minutes) and I walked all over the house, into and out of rooms, around and around. I turned on the radio and talked to music. I started slowed then walked faster then slowed back down. It wasn't long before I was setting the timer for 20, 30, 45 minutes and then 1 hour. When I knew my stamina was better I joined our Y and added bicycle, used the treadmill and did the step aerobics and swim aerobics. I felt better, lost weight, lowered my sugars. Unfortunately I feel off the wagon a few years later and the weight is back and I am on oral meds. With this cancer, I am starting back at square one with the walking. We do have a monolith in the family room but I actually prefer the house walk. It is going to take me longer to be successful this time. I am older, have other health issues, but I will do it. I am eating healthier but that was the one thing that I have stayed pretty consistent with all these years. I don't do sugars and I eat grains, fish and chicken mostly, lots of veggies and some fresh fruit. My weight gain is more from being sedentary. I know this was off target except that good exercise and nutrition is important for us cancer survivors as well.
    Stef
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Definitely exercise
    It's good for you and helps fight fatigue. During chemo, I got on my elliptical machine as much as possible. Some days I could do a rigerous 20 minute routine, other days it was all I could do to keep up a snail's pace for 10 minutes. Do whatever you can. I found that the exercise not only helped my fatigue, but also helped emotionally. When I was feeling particularly down, even a short stint on the machine would make me feel better. Anything that made me feel vibrant and alive was good.

Now that I am in radiation, I have stepped up the exercise and take classes at my gym and also have a personal trainer. I've experienced very little radiation fatigue. I credit the exercise. Good luck.

Mimi
  • Supastarfish
    Supastarfish Member Posts: 2
    Surfing on Chemo
    Hi Surfmom,

You posted this in 2009. I hope you have fully recovered and are back in the water.

I am a breast cancer survivor and just finished an article titled: Surfing on Chemo. I did surf during my entire Chemo treatment. And you?

From your picture I can see that you guys also surf with wetsuits. I personally think the cold water is the biggest problem, cause it weakens your immune system. The water here in Cape Town is 9 - 12 degrees.

Check out my article and feel free to become a surfsister. We need people like you.
    http://surfsisters.co.za/976/surfing-on-chemo/

Have a happy day.
    Lotsofluv,

Supastarfish
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Exercise is Good
    Exercise is good. I let fatigue get the best of me and developed a blood clot due to inactivity (I am predisposed). I really wish I had forced myself to keep walking. It was hard to build up my stamina again, although getting off A/C and starting Taxol definitely helped!