My 1st Chemo is scheduled for June3rd

124»

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Thanks all. I went yesterday
    Thanks all. I went yesterday to meet the chemo nurse and she took me in to see the chemo room and it freaked me out . I had to turn around and leave before I started crying in front of all the ladies. Ihope I get a grip before next Wednesday.

So sorry, dyaneb123...
    Yeah, we joke, we make light of it - but, honestly, it's quite scary. Nevertheless, you'll be fine - even if you're scared. Please take along a good and trusted companion - family, friend, co-worker. Doesn't matter, as long as that person can help to make you feel calmer and secure. And, to help pass the time.

Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    cats_toy said:

so many different reactions to chemo
    Dee, after reading all these posts, it is amazing how different (and how similar) all the reactions are. I had the adriamycin/cytoxin every 3 weeks for 4 sessions, the taxol 3weeks/4sessions. Not puking sick, but always felt queasy with the first group. The only problem I had with the Taxol was the bone pain, thought it was still continuing until I finally read the side effects of Arimidex! hah! No matter how you react, you will do great, as they say: this too shall pass. (just differently for all). I am not as eloquent as others on this board, but....Good luck and take care!
    =^..^=

Yes you are
    just as eloquent as anyone and we love everything you have to say. :)
  • phoenixrising

Word of caution
    Dee, please check with your treatment center and oncologist just to make sure they will not be using a drug called Reglan (generic name Metoclopramide) either in your IV prior to infusion, or orally for breakthrough nausea. Unfortunately, I was given this anti-nausea orally for about two months, and have developed a neurological disorder called Tardive Dyskinesia. Wanted you to be warned so you have plenty of time to look into this. Nasty disease, and something that can be avoided. There are lots of anti-nausea meds out there that work very well. Most treatment centers have received the Black Label Warning from the FDA on this drug, so don't use it, but it is always wise to be your own advocate. I will have you in my thoughts on June 3rd, and hope all goes well for you during treatment. I would hate myself if I didn't send this warning out to anyone starting treatment. Hugs,

Judy

Judy, how are you making out
    Judy, how are you making out with that? I was talking to one of our nurses about it and she thought it would wear off while I was under the impression it could be permanent. I will never forget your warning and mention it to anyone who might be taking metoclopramide. I myself took it for a couple of days and really did not like my reaction to it. I went immediately to our pharmacy and told him to put "adverse rx" in my profile. Hope you aren't suffering from it anymore. Thanks
    jan
  • phoenixrising
    dyaneb123 said:

Pot seeds! I like that! Pot
    Pot seeds! I like that! Pot seed chicken, Pot seed muffins, Pot seed tea...

Hmmmmm!! Let me see,
    a drug that takes away your nausea, increases your appetite and gives you the giggles. Sounds like a perfect drug to me. Although I did not indulge during chemo, I did get my mother-in-law on it when she was having a hard time with morphine during her bc experience. She wouldn't smoke it so I made a strong tea. Worked wonders for her and she didn't get stoned.
  • phoenixrising
    Mine was a little different.
    Mine was a little different. Fluoracil, cyclophosphamide and epirubicin (relative to adriamycin) for 3 tx and Taxotere alone for 3 tx. I did have some nausea but never threw up. The meds they gave were enough to take the edge off and I particularly like zofran. For mild nausea I took Gravol. Side effects are fairly immediate and then sort of diminish while it takes the Taxotere 72 hrs to kick in. At exactly that time my mouth and bones felt like they were on fire. I was surprised I didn't have any mouth sores with the first 3. The chemo kills off all your good bacteria in your mouth which allows fungus to grow. There are mouth washes for it and relief is pretty immediate. Even though I took steroids the day before, day of and the day after taxotere (to prevent an allergic rx), I still woke up looking like I had a sunburn. The gals have given great suggestions to help you with the various se you may encounter and I can't think of anything else to add except chewing ice chips may help prevent mouth sores. This is an excellent article on how to use ice chips.

IceChipsDuringChemoReduceOralMucositisSeverity

I wish you a light and easy experience, I know you will do well.
    Warm Hugs
    jan
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member

Judy, how are you making out
    Judy, how are you making out with that? I was talking to one of our nurses about it and she thought it would wear off while I was under the impression it could be permanent. I will never forget your warning and mention it to anyone who might be taking metoclopramide. I myself took it for a couple of days and really did not like my reaction to it. I went immediately to our pharmacy and told him to put "adverse rx" in my profile. Hope you aren't suffering from it anymore. Thanks
    jan

Judy
    I also have been wondering how you are and hoping that the symptoms you were having are being treated successfully, It is awful that this happened to you, and I am so wishing that you have improved since your last report on your symptoms.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member

Yes you are
    just as eloquent as anyone and we love everything you have to say. :)

thanks Jan!
    that was very sweet!

Photobucket
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    dyaneb123 said:

Thanks all. I went yesterday
    Thanks all. I went yesterday to meet the chemo nurse and she took me in to see the chemo room and it freaked me out . I had to turn around and leave before I started crying in front of all the ladies. Ihope I get a grip before next Wednesday.

For me it was
    fear of the unknown. I told the chemo nurse that I was afraid of the chemo room(or infusion room,as they call it),so she walked me in and gave me the little "tour". She had told my onc that I was nervous,so he said he would prescribe a mild sedative for me if I needed it.I did have to let him know ahead of time though-not the day I was coming in! I ended up feeling more relaxed that day then I thought,so I didn't need it! I have to say,my husband came with me and he was more nervous than I was!
    I was the only patient doing chemo that day when I came in,so it was nice to have the extra attention. And my nurse was very good and kept me going with conversation,so that helped too!
    I don't know about the others here,but I didn't eat very much before I came in-just because I didn't want to barf it all up if I felt sick after! They do give you great anti-nausea drugs though and usually send you home with some good drugs too(just keep up on them at home!!).
    After your first time,you will know what to expect and it won't be such a scary mystery!
    Oh,don't know if anyone told you or not,but some of the chemo drugs can leave your mouth with a "metallic" taste-it would be a good idea to buy some plastic ware(forks,spoons) to eat with instead of regular silverware(that will only add to the metallic taste more!
    I pray that your first treatment goes smooth and well!
    Love,Patty PS... drink plenty of water-during your treatment and after!!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    cats_toy said:

christmas/outdoor girls
    You both are nite owls! yes, I notice the time, because when its getting on 11pm my time (west coast), you both are still on and posting.
    That's good, because when I say we should all go to Vegas for the ReBoobing ceremony, I know you can both handle the time change!
    =^..^=

That's funny Cat!
    Never read that until now!
    So it's Vegas for the renewal of the boobie vows with pink tassles(pink straight jackets?),and all!!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Mine was a little different.
    Mine was a little different. Fluoracil, cyclophosphamide and epirubicin (relative to adriamycin) for 3 tx and Taxotere alone for 3 tx. I did have some nausea but never threw up. The meds they gave were enough to take the edge off and I particularly like zofran. For mild nausea I took Gravol. Side effects are fairly immediate and then sort of diminish while it takes the Taxotere 72 hrs to kick in. At exactly that time my mouth and bones felt like they were on fire. I was surprised I didn't have any mouth sores with the first 3. The chemo kills off all your good bacteria in your mouth which allows fungus to grow. There are mouth washes for it and relief is pretty immediate. Even though I took steroids the day before, day of and the day after taxotere (to prevent an allergic rx), I still woke up looking like I had a sunburn. The gals have given great suggestions to help you with the various se you may encounter and I can't think of anything else to add except chewing ice chips may help prevent mouth sores. This is an excellent article on how to use ice chips.

IceChipsDuringChemoReduceOralMucositisSeverity

I wish you a light and easy experience, I know you will do well.
    Warm Hugs
    jan

Dee
    I am so sorry you got sick. I hope this goes away soon for you. I will be thinking of you, and thanks for the well wishes.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    dyaneb123 said:

Thanks Judy
    It's not on my

Thanks Judy
    It's not on my drug list, but I'll bet it's on somebody's....Thanks for the warnong!

Dee
    I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your chemo. Everyone has given you such good advice and tips here that there isn't much for me to say except this..good luck!

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    tasha_111 said:

BEER! and MORE BEER!
    Worked for me! I couldn't stand the taste (or lack of) or texture (sand) of any food........So I Drank beer and loads of it.....Mmmmmmmmmmm And about a gallon of milk a day......

I'm not traditional, I hate chocolate but milk is sooooooooooo good for you......Beer?...Well I don't know, they just told me to drink a lot of liquid.......Beer is liquid, is it not?....

Was just followin' orders...LOL

Jxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOL at beer and more and
    LOL at beer and more and more beer. My kind of friend! Cheers!

• CYNWELLS
    CYNWELLS Member Posts: 1
    My first Chemo was last Wednesday!
    Don't be afraid! Anxiety is our worst enemy! I was excellent the next day but by Saturday every bone in my body ached! Just like the flu.........but thank God no nausea! Everyone is different and we are all the same...... I was diagnosed as cancer of unknown primary but being treated as a breast cancer because of the two lymph nodes on shoulder and armpit location......now that's frightening.........what kind of diagnosis is that?
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    CYNWELLS said:

Don't be afraid! Anxiety is our worst enemy! I was excellent the next day but by Saturday every bone in my body ached! Just like the flu.........but thank God no nausea! Everyone is different and we are all the same...... I was diagnosed as cancer of unknown primary but being treated as a breast cancer because of the two lymph nodes on shoulder and armpit location......now that's frightening.........what kind of diagnosis is that?

No kidding Cyn
    That's the

No kidding Cyn
    That's the 1st time I've heard that dx on here.Thanks for the encouraging words.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    CYNWELLS said:

Warm welcome, CYNWELLS!
    Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason you're here. Chemo can be rough; but, a lot depends on many variables. Best wishes to you, as you continue your treatment.

You could start your own thread/topic of discussion, and introduce yourself to everyone at once. You'll be welcomed by many, I can assure you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    CYNWELLS said:

Hi Cynwells!
    I have never heard of that before. Welcome, although I am sorry that you are here because of cancer. I do wish you all the best. I will keep you in my prayers Cynwells!
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    It did not hurt me
    It did not hurt me physically to loose my hair, but I heard that for some people it does. I would pet my cat and stroke my hair pulling out clumps. Both my cat and I shedding on the couch.

During chemo I had anti-nausea pills but never took them. I felt a little nausea but I ate a little every few hours, never let my stomach get empty. I liked egg drop soup with rice, apple sauce and juice, drank alot of water and ginger ale. Also scrambled eggs.