Zappa photo ?

JR
JR Member Posts: 139 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey Phil. Whats up with the Zappa photo. Are you an old rocker or what ? Been to any good concerts lately ? The day my dr told me I had a "serious problem", my son and I were headed to a Metallica concert. I had a good time anyway. Just curious.

John

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Yes I am
    I'm a Frank Fan for sure from way back.
    I recently saw B.B. King and Buddy Guy.
    They were both great but Buddy Guy is one incredible blues player.
    I change my avatar a lot but I actually did this silk screen about 25 years ago from the Chunga's Revenge album...
    LP's...those were the days.
    Sorry to hear you are here for cancer.
    We'll talk more.
    -phil
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    PhillieG said:

Yes I am
    I'm a Frank Fan for sure from way back.
    I recently saw B.B. King and Buddy Guy.
    They were both great but Buddy Guy is one incredible blues player.
    I change my avatar a lot but I actually did this silk screen about 25 years ago from the Chunga's Revenge album...
    LP's...those were the days.
    Sorry to hear you are here for cancer.
    We'll talk more.
    -phil

Blues Line up
    Phil,

how's this for a line up:

B.B. King
    Muddy Waters
    Taj Mahal
    Sugar Blue

All of them one night in some Roman ruins in Lyon, France. I was 17. Danced until 4 am. Never saw Zappa but you can be sure I don't eat the yellow snow.

peace, emily
  • PhillieG
    2bhealed said:

Blues Line up
    Phil,

how's this for a line up:

B.B. King
    Muddy Waters
    Taj Mahal
    Sugar Blue

All of them one night in some Roman ruins in Lyon, France. I was 17. Danced until 4 am. Never saw Zappa but you can be sure I don't eat the yellow snow.

peace, emily

Fantastic!
    I'm not familiar with Sugar Blue but the rest I am. I've seen the King* and Taj Mahal but not where you did. What a lucky duck you are.
    I'm not longer being Frank with you, I'm in an avatar identity crisis
    :-)
    Peace
    -phil
    BTW: tomorrow I am going to our local organic CSA to pick up some fresh veggies.
    I also planted my tomatoes and a few other things today.

*I had/still have a ticket to see Elvis, he died 10 days before the concert.
  • 2bhealed
    PhillieG said:

Fantastic!
    I'm not familiar with Sugar Blue but the rest I am. I've seen the King* and Taj Mahal but not where you did. What a lucky duck you are.
    I'm not longer being Frank with you, I'm in an avatar identity crisis
    :-)
    Peace
    -phil
    BTW: tomorrow I am going to our local organic CSA to pick up some fresh veggies.
    I also planted my tomatoes and a few other things today.

*I had/still have a ticket to see Elvis, he died 10 days before the concert.

Elvis Isn't Dead
    He was spotted in Ohio at a drive-in.

Your Mona Lisa is Monty Python-ish. Personally, It think she's way overrated. The actual painting hanging in the Louvre is very small and there's always a huge crowd around her. I don't get it. Now Rembrandt's Night Watch--that's a different story. That's a must see in Amsterdam.

peace, emily

BTW good for you on supporting your local CSA!
  • PhillieG
    2bhealed said:

Elvis Isn't Dead
    He was spotted in Ohio at a drive-in.

Your Mona Lisa is Monty Python-ish. Personally, It think she's way overrated. The actual painting hanging in the Louvre is very small and there's always a huge crowd around her. I don't get it. Now Rembrandt's Night Watch--that's a different story. That's a must see in Amsterdam.

peace, emily

BTW good for you on supporting your local CSA!

Wow, you are right
    Elvis was last seen in Ohio according to the Elvis Sighting Bulletin Board.

The Mona Lisa seems to be yet another mysterious painting by DaVinci. I was surprised when I found out that it was so small. That is a nice Rembrandt painting. There are so many great paintings and styles of painting. I'm fortunate to live in the NYC area and all the museums they have to offer. If I am ever in Amsterdam, that will be the 2nd place to visit on my list.
    Some of these paintings are so HUGE that they would take up an entire wall in my house.

I agree, one should support locally grown vegetables. They just taste so darn good!
    This is one of my Red Peppers from last year!

red bell pepper
  • 2bhealed
    PhillieG said:

Wow, you are right
    Elvis was last seen in Ohio according to the Elvis Sighting Bulletin Board.

The Mona Lisa seems to be yet another mysterious painting by DaVinci. I was surprised when I found out that it was so small. That is a nice Rembrandt painting. There are so many great paintings and styles of painting. I'm fortunate to live in the NYC area and all the museums they have to offer. If I am ever in Amsterdam, that will be the 2nd place to visit on my list.
    Some of these paintings are so HUGE that they would take up an entire wall in my house.

I agree, one should support locally grown vegetables. They just taste so darn good!
    This is one of my Red Peppers from last year!

red bell pepper

Amsterdam
    I can imagine where your first place to visit will be....HA!

Nice pepper Doctor.

peace, emily who prefers carrots to peppers
  • PhillieG
    2bhealed said:

Amsterdam
    I can imagine where your first place to visit will be....HA!

Nice pepper Doctor.

peace, emily who prefers carrots to peppers

Yes
    I have a friend from Flickr that I would meet first. Third would be the "other place".
    -Dr Pepper
    I don't think pepper juice would be good but a fresh picked raw or grilled pepper is like...the best.
    OK - let's let this post sink slowly into the sunset and PM or something.
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    PhillieG said:

Yes
    I have a friend from Flickr that I would meet first. Third would be the "other place".
    -Dr Pepper
    I don't think pepper juice would be good but a fresh picked raw or grilled pepper is like...the best.
    OK - let's let this post sink slowly into the sunset and PM or something.

Zappa in 68
    Hey Phil,

I saw Zappa back in 1968 at a small concert venue in Toronto called the Rock Pile. A great lineup in that version of the band. Many, many great acts also played there including Muddy Waters, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Arthur Brown, BS&T, Fleetwood Mac (before the girls), Paul Butterfield and many more I can't think of right now. Top ticket price was $5.00 to see Zep! Rock on!

Lance
  • PhillieG
    ldot123 said:

Zappa in 68
    Hey Phil,

I saw Zappa back in 1968 at a small concert venue in Toronto called the Rock Pile. A great lineup in that version of the band. Many, many great acts also played there including Muddy Waters, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Arthur Brown, BS&T, Fleetwood Mac (before the girls), Paul Butterfield and many more I can't think of right now. Top ticket price was $5.00 to see Zep! Rock on!

Lance

Rock On
    Wow, what great acts. Yes, Fleetwood Mac used to be a blues band when Peter Green was in it. Now, I will say that I do not care for them at all. Do you remember if Mike Bloomfield was with Paul Butterfield? He was such a great guitarist. One of my all time favs. His Dad invented those sugar dispensers that you see in diners that are all glass, kind of big and had the swinging little lid on them. He didn't have to play music, the family was wealthy but he did what he loved...
    Thanks for sharing Lance
    -p
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Chungas revenge
    My husband is a Zappa fan and after 35 years with him I am one too. Catholic girls ..and watch out where the huskies go.. and St Alfonso's pancake breakfast... just went through my brain as I tuned into the Zappa channel here.

Leslie
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    PhillieG said:

Rock On
    Wow, what great acts. Yes, Fleetwood Mac used to be a blues band when Peter Green was in it. Now, I will say that I do not care for them at all. Do you remember if Mike Bloomfield was with Paul Butterfield? He was such a great guitarist. One of my all time favs. His Dad invented those sugar dispensers that you see in diners that are all glass, kind of big and had the swinging little lid on them. He didn't have to play music, the family was wealthy but he did what he loved...
    Thanks for sharing Lance
    -p

Michael Bloomfield
    Yes Michael was in that line-up. He was an amazing guitarist. He was also in a little known band called The Electric Flag. If you find it, it is a great listen. Oh yeah - and Sugar Blue - I saw him in Chicago quite a few years ago in a little club called Kingston Mines. An amazing harp player that blew my mind. I think he did some recording with the Stones on one of their albums.

Interesting tid-bit on the sugar dispensers - who knew (I guess you did) Wish I could invent something like that.

Cheers, Lance
  • lizbiz
    lizbiz Member Posts: 120
    Master of Puppets....
    One of my top 5 albums of ALL-TIME!!!!

Rock on,
    Elizabeth

edited to add - sorry for the Metallica reference in a Zappa post. He is quite deserving of his own thread.
  • PhillieG
    ldot123 said:

Michael Bloomfield
    Yes Michael was in that line-up. He was an amazing guitarist. He was also in a little known band called The Electric Flag. If you find it, it is a great listen. Oh yeah - and Sugar Blue - I saw him in Chicago quite a few years ago in a little club called Kingston Mines. An amazing harp player that blew my mind. I think he did some recording with the Stones on one of their albums.

Interesting tid-bit on the sugar dispensers - who knew (I guess you did) Wish I could invent something like that.

Cheers, Lance

The Electric Flag
    Yes, I have the album plus I have a live concert they did that a friend downloaded and sent to me.
    I've heard of the Kingston Mines, I have some shows from Lurrie Bell, Larry McCray, and Mem Shannon all from the Kingston Mines. All great blues guitarists.

http://www.mikebloomfieldamericanmusic.com/
    interesting site