My 1st Chemo is scheduled for June3rd

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    dyaneb123 said:

Hair loss hurts? !!!!!
    This is a new and disturbing revelation.......OMG!

It just feels like when
    It just feels like when you've had a ponytail in too long.
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    stox4bux said:

Young Chicas???
    Sorry Dee to burst your bubble - I am 62. One thing is for sure, we never know how we react ourselves so I am keeping my hopes up that you are one of the lucky ones.

Gitta

1st chemo
    Dee,

I just finished 4 cycles of AC and all of them were tough. I had nausea and vomitting for about 3 days afterward. I took zofran and ativan and still did not get any relief. I didn't eat for two days after AC but I found that I could keep down ice chips and popsicles. Water tasted pretty nasty so I drank flat 7up. Of course everyone is different and you may not have any side effects. I hope that you sail through it with out any harm. I will be thinkihg of you. Love Surf
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Dee
    I just wanted to add to what these fine ladies and Tash (LOL) have said. Eat very light meals before and after your treatments. Especially until you see how it will effect you. I am speaking from experience. I felt great after my first treatment so I ate a heavy lunch and was sick by the time I was home. Take the anti nausia meds just to be sure.

You will do fine. Maby thats why they call us survivors - because we survive chemo!

Hugs
    Jadie
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    so many different reactions to chemo
    Dee, after reading all these posts, it is amazing how different (and how similar) all the reactions are. I had the adriamycin/cytoxin every 3 weeks for 4 sessions, the taxol 3weeks/4sessions. Not puking sick, but always felt queasy with the first group. The only problem I had with the Taxol was the bone pain, thought it was still continuing until I finally read the side effects of Arimidex! hah! No matter how you react, you will do great, as they say: this too shall pass. (just differently for all). I am not as eloquent as others on this board, but....Good luck and take care!
    =^..^=
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    cats_toy said:

so many different reactions to chemo
    Dee, after reading all these posts, it is amazing how different (and how similar) all the reactions are. I had the adriamycin/cytoxin every 3 weeks for 4 sessions, the taxol 3weeks/4sessions. Not puking sick, but always felt queasy with the first group. The only problem I had with the Taxol was the bone pain, thought it was still continuing until I finally read the side effects of Arimidex! hah! No matter how you react, you will do great, as they say: this too shall pass. (just differently for all). I am not as eloquent as others on this board, but....Good luck and take care!
    =^..^=

Thanks guys
    So anybody into the Melissa Ethridge antinausea school of thought? Just asking....my girlfriends keep threatening to bring me some herbal remedies....lol
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    dyaneb123 said:

Thanks guys
    So anybody into the Melissa Ethridge antinausea school of thought? Just asking....my girlfriends keep threatening to bring me some herbal remedies....lol

Go Ask Alice
    Of all of the "remedies" ~ legal and not-so, I am actually allergic to the Melissa Ethridge school of treatment! I am not at all opposed to the treatment legally, morally or ethically ( I am a child of the 1960's,afterall)it just didn't work for me. I physically can't be around it AT ALL~ even now. But,if you feel you can, should, or want to, the choice is your own.

Hugs, (or it is Peace and Love? )
    Claudia
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Thanks guys

other remedies
    So I see our smart Claudia picked up on my reference of "Go ask Alice". I actually did go that route, my only problem being how to find it???? A friend who has teenagers was the logical choice, I was hooked up, then found out buying papers was a shock to the system in itself!! Boy oh boy did the prices go up!!. Anyway, did it in high school, did it through chemo, and yes, it helped, sat out on my front porch and dared anyone to come by and complain (boo hoo, no one did).

Dee, do whatever helps, no questions no recriminations, we go through enough already, if you can find relief, use it.

best of luck to you

=^..^=
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    cats_toy said:

other remedies
    So I see our smart Claudia picked up on my reference of "Go ask Alice". I actually did go that route, my only problem being how to find it???? A friend who has teenagers was the logical choice, I was hooked up, then found out buying papers was a shock to the system in itself!! Boy oh boy did the prices go up!!. Anyway, did it in high school, did it through chemo, and yes, it helped, sat out on my front porch and dared anyone to come by and complain (boo hoo, no one did).

Dee, do whatever helps, no questions no recriminations, we go through enough already, if you can find relief, use it.

best of luck to you

=^..^=

Ahhhhhhhh so.Veeery
    Ahhhhhhhh so.Veeery interesting...
    Peace Out home girls.......
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Jadie said:

Hi Dee
    I just wanted to add to what these fine ladies and Tash (LOL) have said. Eat very light meals before and after your treatments. Especially until you see how it will effect you. I am speaking from experience. I felt great after my first treatment so I ate a heavy lunch and was sick by the time I was home. Take the anti nausia meds just to be sure.

You will do fine. Maby thats why they call us survivors - because we survive chemo!

Hugs
    Jadie

Jadie!!!!!!!!!
    "These Fine Ladies... and Tash"???????? Am I not a fine lady?.. OK you got it right, I'm NOT a lady, I work for a living. LOL..

I had Fish and Chips on the way home from Chemo........Loved it!

Just don't feed me lobster.. ROFLMAO!

Hugs J xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    cats_toy said:

other remedies

best of luck to you

=^..^=

Cat is so right...
    And I'll just add: NO JUDGMENT! NO CRITICISMS! Not within THIS group, not around here. Not allowed! This is our "safe zone" (I admit, I'm borrowing that from another member because I think it's a perfect description).

Yeah, exactly, whatever works for ya...

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: I did not indulge in the herb. However, was amazed by how many folks offered it...
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    dyaneb123 said:

Thanks guys

pot seeds
    One of my chemo nurses actually told me that many years ago my cancer center actually prescibed pot seeds for nausea! I couldn't believe that!
  • Christmas Girl

pot seeds
    One of my chemo nurses actually told me that many years ago my cancer center actually prescibed pot seeds for nausea! I couldn't believe that!

Yeah, seeds...
    Someone offered me seeds. When I asked: "What the HECK am I supposed to do with SEEDS? Plant 'em and wait for them to grow?" The response was: grind 'em up in a coffee been grinder and add to beverages/food. An option if the user doesn't want to smoke.

Kind regards, Susan
  • outdoorgirl
    dyaneb123 said:

Hair loss hurts? !!!!!
    This is a new and disturbing revelation.......OMG!

My hair falling out
    didn't hurt. They told me about what time it would come out so I would just test it until one day it just came out effortlessly. I still had a little around,so my husband just shaved it when he got home from work.
  • Christmas Girl
    Dee... Oral Care...
    My onc told me to use the Biotene line of oral care products - toothpaste, mouthwash, even chewing gum to carry in your purse while out & about - all throughout chemo, beginning day one. Someone else within the thread mentioned chemo-induced mouth sores. These happen because of "dry mouth" - which is why many suggested ice chips, popsicles, etc.

Biotene is also for prevention/treatment of "dry mouth" (which is caused by many drugs, not just chemo). Easy to use, just replace your "everyday" products with these. When I did chemo, 5+ years ago, Biotene could only be found at drug stores. Now, you can find the line in the "big box" discounts like Wal-Mart and Target - where it's a couple dollars cheaper.

My onc's instructions were "seconded" by my dentist. When I went for my first cleaning AFTER chemo, my dentist was amazed that my mouth was in really good shape. He credited my faithful use of Biotene.

So, I highly recommend. In fact, I still use just the mouthwash - because it's alcohol-free and not too strongly flavored.

Kind regards, Susan
  • outdoorgirl
    Get your teeth cleaned
    Dee,
    I know this might sound funny,but it's true. Chemo is going to give you dry mouth(and I know Susan(aka Christmas Girl)below mentioned Biotene-great products! They definately won't let you get your teeth cleaned while you're going through treatment(chemo will make you anemic),so try to set up a teeth cleaning with your dentist before you start. I did,and I think it helped after the fact.
  • Christmas Girl

Get your teeth cleaned
    Dee,
    I know this might sound funny,but it's true. Chemo is going to give you dry mouth(and I know Susan(aka Christmas Girl)below mentioned Biotene-great products! They definately won't let you get your teeth cleaned while you're going through treatment(chemo will make you anemic),so try to set up a teeth cleaning with your dentist before you start. I did,and I think it helped after the fact.

Dee - Yeah, outdoorgirl's advice is a solid...
    Thanks for chiming in, outdoorgirl! It's been so long ago for me now, sometimes I forget stuff...

So, Dee - get your teeth cleaned. No dental work during chemo!

Kind regards, Susan
  • outdoorgirl

Dee - Yeah, outdoorgirl's advice is a solid...
    Thanks for chiming in, outdoorgirl! It's been so long ago for me now, sometimes I forget stuff...

So, Dee - get your teeth cleaned. No dental work during chemo!

Kind regards, Susan

Are you a night owl too?
    Susan,
    Are you a night owl too? Isn't this discussion board addicting? Kind of like Ebay,only better!
  • Christmas Girl

Are you a night owl too?
    Susan,
    Are you a night owl too? Isn't this discussion board addicting? Kind of like Ebay,only better!

Cat, too...
    ... recently called me a night owl. WHAT'S UP WITH YOU TWO?

:-)

Kind regards, Susan
  • outdoorgirl

Cat, too...
    ... recently called me a night owl. WHAT'S UP WITH YOU TWO?

:-)

Kind regards, Susan

Come on
    It's 1:25 in the morning! But obviously I'm a night owl too(at least while my husband is gone),so I have no room to talk I guess!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    CHEMO TIMES
    Dee, I will have you in my thoughts and prayer on that day. I recall my first time as if it was yesterday, the unknown is always scary but you will get through this and we will be here for you!

My first chemo I slept a lot for the first three days, after that I started to come around and feel more like my self. For me it seemed the more sessions of chemo I had the more symptoms and the more tired I became. It's important that you get the rest your body tells you that you need. We always did all the house cleaning a few days before chemo day. I also would prepare a few meals and freeze them so that all we needed to do was thaw them and reheat. It gave me peace of mind and made things a bit easier.

Please be sure to drink a lot of fluids after you chemo, it will help to flush your system. It is great that you will have someone to attend you first chemo and be able to stay with you for a few days afterward's as it will surely be comforting for you.

Be kind to yourself during this battle and know that this is just a moment in time to work towards a lifetime of living. Sending many hugs your way and wishing you well!

RE