God and Cancer

pink05
pink05 Member Posts: 550
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I realize that what I am about to say will not be a popular view on this site, but I feel that it is my job as a Christian to say it.

Seems as though religion has been a huge topic on this board lately. I am always amazed at how two words could stir up so much controversy… GOD & JESUS. Anytime those words are mentioned, you can be sure to get strong reactions from both believers and non-believers. Makes you think, maybe there’s some truth to those powerful names.

Some of you feel that religion has nothing to do with cancer. Well I tend to disagree. Some background about me: My father was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer with liver mets almost 3 ½ years ago. After six months of chemo, the cancer was completely gone. Was it the chemo or supplements that my dad took? Possibly, but keep this in mind: My father's doctor has been shocked at how well my father has done and has called my father his "Miracle Patient". I believe that ultimately, it was a combination of medicine and endless prayers by me, my family, people on this board, and countless others around the world who offered their prayers when we needed them. It was JESUS that healed my father, whether anyone wants to believe this or not. He not only healed my father physically, He healed me spiritually.

This strong resistance to Jesus and lack of respect for Christians has really offended me personally. Why the rejection? Why is it such a taboo topic on this site? Some of you want to know what works for others in their cancer battles. Well, kids, spouses, pets, etc... those things do help a person get through a diagnosis of cancer, but what about God? When I go through a difficult time in my life, He is the first one I turn to. When my father was first diagnosed, I turned to God, and He blessed me with incredible strength. You can't convince me that God doesn't exist or that He doesn't heal. He does exist and He does heal. I bear witness to that.

As for Christians who think that religion should not be part of a cancer board and feel that it doesn't matter who or what you believe in well, the 1st commandment clearly states: "You shall have no other gods before Me." Exodus 20:3

There are numerous healings in the bible, for example, Matthew 8:1, Matthew 9:1, and Luke 4:38.

If you don’t like what is being written, why not just ignore it??? Why be so offended? Why does it bother you so much? Is it because deep down inside, you know the truth? And to all you Christians...please don't be intimidated by others on this site who are attempting to keep you away.

I couldn’t find the original threads that started this whole religion controversy. Obviously, they have struck some sensitive cords. Yes, it is very important to respect everyone and treat everyone like human beings-both Christians and non-Christians alike. I simply ask that non-believers respect Christians and our beliefs just as they want us to respect them.

God bless,

-Lee-

Comments

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Jeremiah 30:17
    This verse is what I wrote on my wall (literally in permanent Sharpie) and meditated on it daily.

When I did my yoga I visualized Jesus going through my system scooping up all my cancer cells and getting rid of them. (he was riding a dogsled--don't laugh).

So whatever gets you through more power to ya!

Glad to hear your father is doing so well and healed. All the prayers in the world (she literally was on international prayer chains) didn't keep my sister from dying, but that doesn't mean that miracles didn't happen along the way.....like her giving birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl 5 months before she died.

I think the issue was telling people they were going to hell, not that they were Christians. I could be wrong.

peace, emily whose Jesus wears a Superman T-shirt, rainbow suspenders, clown shoes and an awesome 70's 'fro.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Please
    I agree that there needs to be respect on both sides of this issue. I think some harsh words have been slung around at times.

However, I do think we should NOT start this debate again. I'm a Christian, and I'm not hiding it, but my mission here is to support and be supported by fellow cancer survivors.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • 4law
    4law Member Posts: 110
    A New Discussion Group?
    Lee,

Why do you feel it is your job to bring this up again? I am glad that that your dad was healed and I am glad that your religion has helped you. I do not believe anyone here is trying to convince you that God doesn’t exist – the subject is simply is not appropriate for this discussion group. I do not see a lack of respect for Christians, or anyone else, in our group. Don’t you get it? Some of us are not Christians. Some of us do not believe in God. Some of us do not approve of organized religion. Some of us favor chemo. Some favor alternative medicine. Some favor surgery, others radiation. There are close to 80,000 members in our discussion group! We learn from each other. There is no one truth.

I am offended when you suggest knowing that deep down inside I am afraid of “the truth” – we don’t need preaching here – we need mutual respect, sharing and compassion.

Perhaps you may explore the possibility of creating a new discussion group along the lines of healing through prayer, God and Cancer, or something like that.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    2bhealed said:

Jeremiah 30:17
    This verse is what I wrote on my wall (literally in permanent Sharpie) and meditated on it daily.

When I did my yoga I visualized Jesus going through my system scooping up all my cancer cells and getting rid of them. (he was riding a dogsled--don't laugh).

So whatever gets you through more power to ya!

Glad to hear your father is doing so well and healed. All the prayers in the world (she literally was on international prayer chains) didn't keep my sister from dying, but that doesn't mean that miracles didn't happen along the way.....like her giving birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl 5 months before she died.

I think the issue was telling people they were going to hell, not that they were Christians. I could be wrong.

peace, emily whose Jesus wears a Superman T-shirt, rainbow suspenders, clown shoes and an awesome 70's 'fro.

Right on Emily
    You are right, as usual...
    The issue was being told that we were going to hell for not believe what one Southern Baptist believed.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Seek and Ye Shall Find...
    search for "go to hell". You should find the post there and that will tell the TRUE story.

La ilaha il-Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasulullah

English translation of this Arabic phrase is:

There is no God except Allah;
    Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Phil's lie
    I bumped the thread to save you the time searching.

Here's the thread. Please DO read my response to Mary and allow Phil's own repeated misquoting of me to speak for him.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/165765#comment-649910

Wow, Phil! You even searched to find out what kind of church I attend. That's spooky!
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    4law said:

A New Discussion Group?
    Lee,

Why do you feel it is your job to bring this up again? I am glad that that your dad was healed and I am glad that your religion has helped you. I do not believe anyone here is trying to convince you that God doesn’t exist – the subject is simply is not appropriate for this discussion group. I do not see a lack of respect for Christians, or anyone else, in our group. Don’t you get it? Some of us are not Christians. Some of us do not believe in God. Some of us do not approve of organized religion. Some of us favor chemo. Some favor alternative medicine. Some favor surgery, others radiation. There are close to 80,000 members in our discussion group! We learn from each other. There is no one truth.

I am offended when you suggest knowing that deep down inside I am afraid of “the truth” – we don’t need preaching here – we need mutual respect, sharing and compassion.

Perhaps you may explore the possibility of creating a new discussion group along the lines of healing through prayer, God and Cancer, or something like that.

God???
    I agree that everyone is enttitled to their beliefs but this board isn't really the place for certain things that are said. I think it's ok to say that you believe in the power of prayer, but when it comes to quoting passages, I think that's overstepping.

Years ago I worked for someone that was a born again Christian, and when it was slow at work he would start reading the bible. He once told me that I would never go to heaven because I didn't believe in Jesus. I am Jewish and was raised not believing in him, but this boss kept at it with me and wanted to know how can I believe in God, but not in his son? To this day that really bothers me for many reasons. One of the main ones are that he had been a married man, with two young girls, but he left his wife and starteed an affair with one of his workers, who was young enough to be his daughter!! I thought that was wrong, not because of any religius reasons, it was just wrong but I never pushed my beliefs on him.

I am married to a Christian and we both have different beliefs although we both believe in God. We just believe different things about him/her. We might discuss these things but we never try to push our bliefs on each other,nor do we preach about our beliefs. Yes I believe in the higher power, and I talk to him/her., but I also believe that God helps those that help themselves. It's not that we can sit back and expect everything to get better just by prayers.But that doesn't mean that if you don't believe in a higher power that you are going to hell or that you won't get better.I'm not a believer in heaven and hell,I think we all go to the same place when we pass on. We all came into this world the same way, no matter what we believe and we all leave the same way.

So by writing on this board about religion and quoting the bible feels like we being pushed into certain beliefs that we don't have.Do whatever you have to do to get thru, more power to you, but don't make others feel that they are less of a person for not believing the same as you.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    CAN WE STOP THIS????
    I am a Christian, I have my beliefs, as does everyone on this board. This is NOT a Christian Only board. Nor is it a Christian Bashing Board. THIS IS A CANCER SUPPORT BOARD.

Can we just stop this vein and not rehash everything for the umpteenth time? I am headed to chemo, round 3. I need everyone pulling for me, not preaching at me, not disavowing my beliefs, not FIGHTING.

STOP.

Vicki
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    VickiCO said:

CAN WE STOP THIS????
    I am a Christian, I have my beliefs, as does everyone on this board. This is NOT a Christian Only board. Nor is it a Christian Bashing Board. THIS IS A CANCER SUPPORT BOARD.

Can we just stop this vein and not rehash everything for the umpteenth time? I am headed to chemo, round 3. I need everyone pulling for me, not preaching at me, not disavowing my beliefs, not FIGHTING.

STOP.

Vicki

Stirring the pot
    Man this dish just keeps getting served. Just so everyone knows, I really needed prayers and thoughts last week. Maybe they worked, maybe they didn't. I just wish believers would pray to jesus to stop giving folks cancer. That way we wouldn't have to pray for such selfish things like our health and we could focus our prayers and energy on helping others. I have never asked for or want a miracle.
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209
    Thank you for posting this.
    Thank you for posting this. It was a great inspiration to me. I was recently diagnosed with colon cancer that spread to the liver and lymph nodes. I am 41 and have a 13 year old daughter. Prayer and my faith have gotten me throught the last 2 months. The support from my church family has been unbelievable. Thank you for posting this story. It gives me hope.

Brenda
  • pink05

Thank you for posting this.
    Thank you for posting this. It was a great inspiration to me. I was recently diagnosed with colon cancer that spread to the liver and lymph nodes. I am 41 and have a 13 year old daughter. Prayer and my faith have gotten me throught the last 2 months. The support from my church family has been unbelievable. Thank you for posting this story. It gives me hope.

Brenda

Thank you
    Brenda

Thank you for posting. I am so happy that my story has given you hope. I went back and forth on whether or not I should have started a thread that I knew would be controversial, but something kept nagging me to do it and I am glad I did. I kept saying to myself that if just one person was helped by my story, it was well worth it. You have encouraged me to continue to spread God's word no matter how unpopular it might be. Keep the faith and don't give up!!! I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless you.
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Okay, I have to ask...
    I don't post much here, and I'm really surprised this was brought up yet again. But since it has, I just have to ask. For those "Christians" who die from cancer - is it because they didn't pray enough? Or their friends, family and fellow church members didn't pray enough? Or was it because they sinned? If you credit God for saving you from cancer then logically - don't you also have to blame him for killing others with cancer? What about the people who have lived terrible lives and hurt other people - but live long healthy lives - cancer free? I'm sure this subject could be hotly debated for years, decades even, never to be agreed on.

I'm sorry - but none of it makes sense to me. BUT - if it makes sense to you and it helps get you through the day, get you through chemo, surgery - whatever, then that's great.

Personally (not that my opinion matters), I think there are some things we will never understand in this lifetime and one of them is why bad things happen to good people, despite what religion you are (or aren't).
  • pink05
    4law said:

A New Discussion Group?
    Lee,

Thanks, 4law...
    I do plan on

Thanks, 4law...

I do plan on creating a discussion group that discusses these issues, but that is not the point. I just feel that if a Christian wants to discuss his/her views on God/Jesus and cancer, they should be allowed to do that. If people don't want to read about it or talk about it, they can just ignore it. There are some threads that contain content I prefer to skip over, and I do just that.

Again, I understand that some of you are not Christians and do not have any belief in God. I am in no way forcing you to believe. I prefer to live by example.

You say we need mutual respect, sharing and compassion. Well those are huge parts of Christian principles. Don't you think I feel those things for all of you on this site? I think about all of you and pray for all of you all the time whether you want me to or not. I have great compassion for each and every person on this site mainly because I know what you are all going through.

I think that if I or anyone else wants to post bible verses, we should feel free to do so. It's okay for individuals of other faiths to post their beliefs, why isn't it okay for a Christian to post his or hers?
  • pink05
    VickiCO said:

CAN WE STOP THIS????

STOP.

Vicki

Vicki,
    My intention was not

Vicki,

My intention was not to rehash the past or to initiate fighting. I'm not trying to stop people from writing what their beliefs are even if they are opposite from my own beliefs. What I do want is to offer hope to all of you on this board. Looks like so far I have inspired at least one person. That in itself just proves to me that I did do the right thing by beginning this thread.

And by the way, you bet I'm pulling for you. As I mentioned above... all of you are always in my prayers and I have great compassion and respect for each and every one of you.

God bless
  • pink05
    NWGirl said:

Okay, I have to ask...
    I don't post much here, and I'm really surprised this was brought up yet again. But since it has, I just have to ask. For those "Christians" who die from cancer - is it because they didn't pray enough? Or their friends, family and fellow church members didn't pray enough? Or was it because they sinned? If you credit God for saving you from cancer then logically - don't you also have to blame him for killing others with cancer? What about the people who have lived terrible lives and hurt other people - but live long healthy lives - cancer free? I'm sure this subject could be hotly debated for years, decades even, never to be agreed on.

I'm sorry - but none of it makes sense to me. BUT - if it makes sense to you and it helps get you through the day, get you through chemo, surgery - whatever, then that's great.

Personally (not that my opinion matters), I think there are some things we will never understand in this lifetime and one of them is why bad things happen to good people, despite what religion you are (or aren't).

I ask myself that very same
    I ask myself that very same question all the time. I don't know why God chose to heal my father, but not other Christians who are fervent in their faith and pray for healing only to die of their diseases. God has his reasons and many times these reasons don't make sense to us. The important thing is to have faith in him.

Interestingly enough, I just found some passages in scripture that may not necessarily answer all your questions, but may help in some ways:

My friends, do not be surprised at the terrible trouble which now comes to test you. Do not think that something strange is happening to you. But be happy that you are sharing in Christ's sufferings so that you will be happy and full of joy when Christ comes again in glory. 1 Peter 4:12-13

The Lord says, "My thoughts are not like your thoughts. Your ways are not like my ways. Just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Come, let's go back to the Lord. He has hurt us, but he will heal us. He has wounded us, but he will badage our wounds. In two days he will put new life in us; on the third day he will raise us up so that we may live in his presence and know him. Let's try to learn about the Lord; He will come to us as surely as the dawn comes. he will come to us like rain, like the spring rain that waters the ground. Hosea 6:1-3
  • pink05

God???
    I agree that everyone is enttitled to their beliefs but this board isn't really the place for certain things that are said. I think it's ok to say that you believe in the power of prayer, but when it comes to quoting passages, I think that's overstepping.

Years ago I worked for someone that was a born again Christian, and when it was slow at work he would start reading the bible. He once told me that I would never go to heaven because I didn't believe in Jesus. I am Jewish and was raised not believing in him, but this boss kept at it with me and wanted to know how can I believe in God, but not in his son? To this day that really bothers me for many reasons. One of the main ones are that he had been a married man, with two young girls, but he left his wife and starteed an affair with one of his workers, who was young enough to be his daughter!! I thought that was wrong, not because of any religius reasons, it was just wrong but I never pushed my beliefs on him.

I am married to a Christian and we both have different beliefs although we both believe in God. We just believe different things about him/her. We might discuss these things but we never try to push our bliefs on each other,nor do we preach about our beliefs. Yes I believe in the higher power, and I talk to him/her., but I also believe that God helps those that help themselves. It's not that we can sit back and expect everything to get better just by prayers.But that doesn't mean that if you don't believe in a higher power that you are going to hell or that you won't get better.I'm not a believer in heaven and hell,I think we all go to the same place when we pass on. We all came into this world the same way, no matter what we believe and we all leave the same way.

So by writing on this board about religion and quoting the bible feels like we being pushed into certain beliefs that we don't have.Do whatever you have to do to get thru, more power to you, but don't make others feel that they are less of a person for not believing the same as you.

Why would quoting scripture
    Why would quoting scripture be considered overstepping boundaries? Besides, you can always ignore it and move on to the next thread.

This man you describe who tried to push his beliefs on you was a hypocrite. He should not have been forcing his views onto you. Instead, he should have lived by example. He should have taken his marriage vows seriously and led a true Christian life. I feel that people like this man turn people off, but please don't assume that all Christians are like this him.

Look, you say you are Jewish. If you want to talk about your beliefs, your faith, and what gets you through difficult times, I would not try to prevent you from doing it even if I did not share in your beliefs. I would not be accusing you of overstepping boundaries.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    NWGirl said:

Okay, I have to ask...

Unbelievable
    Hi NWGirl,

Can you believe that when my sister was dying of cancer a "friend" wrote me a letter and told me that my sister wasn't being healed because she had unconfessed sin in her life. (the girl was AOG, Phil, FYI). It was years before I could communicate with this "friend." Then when I got diagnosed this "friend" contacted me a lot to sell me some essential oils to heal my cancer. I didn't buy any. And I surely didn't want to receive a letter from her telling me I had cancer because of unrepented sin in my life.

When we decide to be the Holy Spirit for others' lives, we get into an arrogant power struggle.

As a Believer, it's pretty dangerous to put that kind of judgment on other human beings--thinking that they died because they didn't pray enough or that they had sinned (or that they didn't say the correct sinner's prayer in the proper order or at the right time of day in the right place while wearing the acceptable attire). Holy Cow, if that were the case I would be rigor mortis years ago! HA!

All We Need Is Love.

peace, emily
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    2bhealed said:

Unbelievable
    Hi NWGirl,

Can you believe that when my sister was dying of cancer a "friend" wrote me a letter and told me that my sister wasn't being healed because she had unconfessed sin in her life. (the girl was AOG, Phil, FYI). It was years before I could communicate with this "friend." Then when I got diagnosed this "friend" contacted me a lot to sell me some essential oils to heal my cancer. I didn't buy any. And I surely didn't want to receive a letter from her telling me I had cancer because of unrepented sin in my life.

When we decide to be the Holy Spirit for others' lives, we get into an arrogant power struggle.

As a Believer, it's pretty dangerous to put that kind of judgment on other human beings--thinking that they died because they didn't pray enough or that they had sinned (or that they didn't say the correct sinner's prayer in the proper order or at the right time of day in the right place while wearing the acceptable attire). Holy Cow, if that were the case I would be rigor mortis years ago! HA!

All We Need Is Love.

peace, emily

Not again
    That is why they say you should never discuss politics and religion! Isn't it time to let this go, and let everyone believe what they want about religion and God? Let's get back to the real issue here which is being supportive of each other in their quest for NED.
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Something to think about...
    “Love thy neighbor, and if it requires that you bend your understanding of the truth, the Truth will understand.” -- Robert Brault

Kindness, compassion, empathy, and tolerance goes a long way...and remember, it's not always what you say, it's how you say it...