Ginger for Nausea

PhillieG
PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Interesting story on how ginger is good for combating nausea.
Google it or it can be found here.

Comments

• ADKer
    ADKer Member Posts: 147
    Ginger
    I believe though that ginger also causes one of the major CRC chemo drugs to be less effective. I just cannot remember whether it was oxaliplatin or irinotecan. Does anyone know whether or not this is correct and which drug is affected by the ginger?
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    ADKer said:

Ginger
    I believe though that ginger also causes one of the major CRC chemo drugs to be less effective. I just cannot remember whether it was oxaliplatin or irinotecan. Does anyone know whether or not this is correct and which drug is affected by the ginger?

Ginger, good for what Ailes you
    I goggled a bit and could find nothing saying it was bad for colon cancer or the meds that you mentioned. That doesn't mean it's not true, it just means I didn't find anything. I imagine there's more to come on this story.
  • neon356
    neon356 Member Posts: 137 Member
    I googled "ginger and
    I googled "ginger and chemotherapy". Came up with a slew of articles, one was even funded by ACS. Didn't see anything on its affecting chemo.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    ginger
    new

Hi All,
    There was an article this morning in our paper the Honolulu Advertiser about ginger and chemotherapy. **** has been chewing ginger gum and eating ginger chews and it helps some. I have also been making ginger "tea" for **** and he says that helps. I grate fresh ginger and put it in the hot water.
    Hawaii has a big Eastern Medicine influence and ginger is used widely here. Acupuncture is also widely used and I have heard it can be quite effective against the nausea.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    ADKer said:

Ginger

articles
    Hi All,
    There was an article this morning in our paper the Honolulu Advertiser about ginger and chemotherapy. **** has been chewing ginger gum and eating ginger chews and it helps some. I have also been making ginger "tea" for **** and he says that helps. I grate fresh ginger and put it in the hot water.
    Hawaii has a big Eastern Medicine influence and ginger is used widely here. Acupuncture is also widely used and I have heard it can be quite effective against the nausea.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917

ginger
    new

Hi All,
    Aloha,
    Kathleen

It was on the news last night...
    NBC had a brief story on it last night. They acted like this was a 'new' discovery. I have been using it all along, under the recommendation of the chemo nurses. My good friend who has been battling for over 3 years has used it for a long time. Suddenly, it's news...oh well. I am just hopeful it will help someone who didn't know.

Vicki
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Ginger ale, candied ginger root, ginger tea...
    I did them all. None of the anti-nausea drugs worked for me, so this was a lifesaver!

Also, the dutch eat licorice when their tummys are upset...

Hugs, Kathi
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    KathiM said:

Ginger ale, candied ginger root, ginger tea...
    I did them all. None of the anti-nausea drugs worked for me, so this was a lifesaver!

Also, the dutch eat licorice when their tummys are upset...

Hugs, Kathi

I agree! Ginger root is...
    great. My pharmacist is from India. He tells me about all kinds of natural things that help. Of course, being a pharmacist and working for a company, it's all off the record. But, this guy knows what he is talking about, doesn't B.S. you! on top of all that it's cheap compared to the meds we have to buy. Oh, I almost forgot...Ginger Ale is great. I love the drink. When we were kids grandma always gave us ginger ale, just to enjoy. I wish they still made 50/50. I don't see it anywhere.