Astrocytoma Grade III-Survivor

Comments

• kishi
    kishi Member Posts: 3
    momfor2 said:

jose,
    how are you doing now.

jose,

how are you doing now. Do you have yearly mri's. Did you have radiation or chemo

Hello My friend
    I had

Hello My friend

I had radiation, chemo and regular MRI's on agenda. I am scared but trying to act or look tough for familly. Hope you are ok and cool.

Regards.
  • ChristyM
    ChristyM Member Posts: 38
    kishi said:

Hello My friend
    I had

Hello My friend

I had radiation, chemo and regular MRI's on agenda. I am scared but trying to act or look tough for familly. Hope you are ok and cool.

Regards.

Hello
    I had my surgery one year ago, May 11 2008--on Mothers day. I have since completed radiation and 6 months of chemo (beyond the daily I was taking during the radiation) I am going to be starting another 6 months here soon-My husband and I were working with a fertility doctor before we started again.
    I have had some short term memory loss, but I find reading and relaxing (I think this is the most important thing) have helped me a lot. I also lost some hair from the radiation but none from the chemo.
    My one year MRI is scheduled for next Monday, the 11th. I am looking forward to celebrating one year clear soon. (In other words, keep the positive attitude and statistics dont matter!)
  • momfor2
    momfor2 Member Posts: 8
    ronefx said:

I posted in another thread,
    I posted in another thread, but I had a grade 3 astrocytoma tumor on the right frontal lobe. It was completely removed and have been cancer free as far as I know for 15 + years. I am looking to find other's stories of long term problems and issues they have had.

HELLO
    How are you doing today ronefx. Did you had any chemo or radiation. Glad to know you have remained cancer free for so many years.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    Heyrabbit and others
    Thank you for your stories. I rejoice every time I hear of a survivor of any cancer, especially AA. My sister has tumors in her left frontal lobe. One of her tumors was removed and the remaining 2 tumors are small. The tumor they removed was sent to a lab and AA was just diagnosed in March. At first we all imagined the worst but stories like yours do so much to lift my spirits.

She has just finished 6 weeks of radiation at MD Anderson. They will wait 3 weeks to do an MRI, then 2 years of chemo will begin. We had a big celebration for her radiation graduation. We are taking it all one day at a time and enjoying every day.

Thanks to all on this board, I love hearing from AA survivors.
  • PBJ Austin
    ChristyM said:

Hello
    I had my surgery one year ago, May 11 2008--on Mothers day. I have since completed radiation and 6 months of chemo (beyond the daily I was taking during the radiation) I am going to be starting another 6 months here soon-My husband and I were working with a fertility doctor before we started again.
    I have had some short term memory loss, but I find reading and relaxing (I think this is the most important thing) have helped me a lot. I also lost some hair from the radiation but none from the chemo.
    My one year MRI is scheduled for next Monday, the 11th. I am looking forward to celebrating one year clear soon. (In other words, keep the positive attitude and statistics dont matter!)

ChristyM
    I will be thinking of you on Monday and wishing you the best on your MRI.
  • Priash
    Priash Member Posts: 22
    How are you doing
    New member. Same illness as yours.

God Bless
    Priash
  • Priash
    Priash Member Posts: 22
    ChristyM said:

Hello

How are you doing
    Hello Christy:

How are you doing? Please keep us posted.

God Bless
    Priash
  • tmiles
    tmiles Member Posts: 1
    Astrocytoma survivor
    I had a Grade 1 Astrocytoma removed from my front right hemisphere in 01/2004. I have had no reoccurrance per the last 5 MRI's. Thank God!
    I am now 5 years clear, with guilt for having survived with nothing debilitating and I am starting to have emotional problems. Anger, depression, memory recall and I don't know how to cope with it much less how to correct the problem. I live in the Riverside, Ca. and I am looking for help with the psychological side of this. Does anyone out there have some information or contacts that can point me into the right direction?

Tony
    LNTMILES@earthlink.net
  • ronefx
    ronefx Member Posts: 11
    momfor2 said:

HELLO
    How are you doing today ronefx. Did you had any chemo or radiation. Glad to know you have remained cancer free for so many years.

sorry, it took me so long to
    sorry, it took me so long to respond, I don't check here that often. I had 6 weeks of Radiation & 6 courses of chemo. I am still doing good, just get tired here & there, so I take a nap(which I enjoy anyways) but, that could be from everyday stress, I normally don't think about the fact I had cancer, cause it has been so long.
  • ChristyM
    ChristyM Member Posts: 38
    Priash said:

How are you doing
    Hello Christy:

How are you doing? Please keep us posted.

God Bless
    Priash

MRI today
    I had my MRI and follow up with my surgeon today. There is no reoccurence! We will be moving my MRIs to every 6 months now.
  • PBJ Austin
    ChristyM said:

MRI today
    I had my MRI and follow up with my surgeon today. There is no reoccurence! We will be moving my MRIs to every 6 months now.

Great news!!
    I'm so happy for your MRI results, ChristyM!! You give me hope that my sister will have good results from her treatment also. Thank you for sharing your news.
  • Mannie
    Mannie Member Posts: 52
    tmiles said:

Astrocytoma survivor
    I had a Grade 1 Astrocytoma removed from my front right hemisphere in 01/2004. I have had no reoccurrance per the last 5 MRI's. Thank God!
    I am now 5 years clear, with guilt for having survived with nothing debilitating and I am starting to have emotional problems. Anger, depression, memory recall and I don't know how to cope with it much less how to correct the problem. I live in the Riverside, Ca. and I am looking for help with the psychological side of this. Does anyone out there have some information or contacts that can point me into the right direction?

Tony
    LNTMILES@earthlink.net

Astrocytoma Survivor...
    Tony,

I don't have any info or contacts but I wanted to at least reply to you. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling guilty for surviving but I disagree that you had nothing debilitating. In my opinion, having any grade tumor is debilitating to a person's brain to cope with, especially when it's located in the area of the brain responsible for emotions/reasoning. My tumor was in my right frontal lobe and I can whip through emotions when I'm run down. I notice that my memory and my decision making capabilities are pathetic when I'm tired.

I actually think you're completely normal in your reaction to having a tumor, it's part of the grieving process we all have to go through. Except, online here, I don't hear that mentioned too much whereas I do hear this mentioned a lot in the "live" brain tumor support group I go to twice a month.

Take Care of Yourself Tony,
    Mannie
  • sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279
    gvillek said:

Hello, first of all thank you for telling others about your story. My sister who is 26 years old and is fighting for her life. She also has Anoplastic Astroyctoma – Level 3. She has two small children and I live 90 miles away. I can't express the hope it give me that there are individuals that have survived this cancer! I have been searching for ways to encourage my sister not to give up.

brain cancer
    my husband was diagnosed with brain cancer oct 1, 2000. it was inoperable. went through radiation, stereo tactic radiation and chemo therapy. i believe he is alive today because first, we went to the best hospital in our area. get on line and research this for your area. too many families are so stunned that they stick with the place that diagnosed them. this is a big mistake! go to a research and teaching hospital. we drove often 5 days a week for 1 and half hours each way it was well worth it. the end result is that we still have him his children and grandchildren and i are greatful. yes, he has some problems, double vision and numbness on his right side as the tumor was on the left. he was later diagnosed with parkinson's(not a common occurence) actually it is believed that that started before the cancer. that has created further complications. had he only had the cancer to deal with he would still be working, playing golf, going to florida for the winter and pretty much living a fairly normal life.
  • sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279
    kishi said:

Grade 3 Astrocytoma
    Hi
    I have Grade 3 Astrocytoma and can take any help I can. Diagnosed in Dec.2005. Chemo and Radiation and now I am trembling. Hope all with cancer will someday be saved and be cancer free. I believe we cancer patients are suffering but never as much as those who love us and are looking at us everyday helpless wishing they could do anything to make us feel better.

trembling
    where are you going for treatment? the trembling may be short term. please go to a teaching hospital, it will have the latest treatments. yes as a caretaker we will do anything to save our loved ones, to save our loved one. go with it find the strength to do this. there is a place in your state or a near state that may extend you life. you have had a kick in the gut, get up or have and advocate get up and fight for you, it is not over.
  • joannterrell
    joannterrell Member Posts: 1
    brain tumor astrocytoma grade 3
    My husband just got his brain tumor operated on by Dr. Allen Friedman at Duke. We were originally told it was a grade 1 or 2. Once they took out the tumor they said it was a grade 3 tumor. He is 45 years old and is in great shape. They took out a tumor the size of the orange but there is a small bit left they was in healthy tissue. They are going to talk with us tomorrow about the radiation and chemo.
  • K.Rose
    K.Rose Member Posts: 1
    sue Siwek said:

brain cancer
    my husband was diagnosed with brain cancer oct 1, 2000. it was inoperable. went through radiation, stereo tactic radiation and chemo therapy. i believe he is alive today because first, we went to the best hospital in our area. get on line and research this for your area. too many families are so stunned that they stick with the place that diagnosed them. this is a big mistake! go to a research and teaching hospital. we drove often 5 days a week for 1 and half hours each way it was well worth it. the end result is that we still have him his children and grandchildren and i are greatful. yes, he has some problems, double vision and numbness on his right side as the tumor was on the left. he was later diagnosed with parkinson's(not a common occurence) actually it is believed that that started before the cancer. that has created further complications. had he only had the cancer to deal with he would still be working, playing golf, going to florida for the winter and pretty much living a fairly normal life.

Information? Please?
    Hello,
    I'm new to this message board so I'm not quite sure about it all. I was curious (maybe you've said and I missed it) where is your husband's tumor located in the brain? I am 23 years old just completed my first chemo/radiation/chemo treatments and I haven't found many places til this that talk about brain tumors. Mine is a grade III astrocytoma located in my Thalamus pretty much exactly in the middle of my brain making it inoperable. I myself have numbness on my right side. It was found when I was 20 and now I'm 23, any infomation you could suggest would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!
  • kempenl
    kempenl Member Posts: 13
    AAO3
    Hi -
    was your tumor recently upgraded to AAO3? Here's a pretty good forum for info - hope you find it helpful.
    http://www.cancercompass.com/message-board/cancers/brain-cancer/1,0,119,5.htm