Raloxifene instead of Tamoxifen? Anyone hear of that?

Jeanne D
Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just read an article where they considered Raloxifene better than Tamoxifen and with fewer side effects. Has anyone read or heard about that? Or, is anyone here on it? Thanks!

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Haven't heard of it. Where
    Haven't heard of it. Where did you read this? Would love to read it myself and speak to my oncologist about it. Hugs, Lili
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

Haven't heard of it. Where
    Haven't heard of it. Where did you read this? Would love to read it myself and speak to my oncologist about it. Hugs, Lili

The brand name is Evista,
    The brand name is Evista, which I have heard mentioned several times on this board. Try Google, and you can read that Raloxifene has been found to reduce breast cancer recurrence in postmenopausal women, and there are some clinical trials being conducted. Hope this helps.

Judy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867

The brand name is Evista,
    The brand name is Evista, which I have heard mentioned several times on this board. Try Google, and you can read that Raloxifene has been found to reduce breast cancer recurrence in postmenopausal women, and there are some clinical trials being conducted. Hope this helps.

Judy

Thanks Judy!
    Yes, the brand name is Evista. It was used for postmenopausal women's bones, but, was found to aid in the reduction of breast cancer recurrence. I need to read more about it. It seemed to have a lot less side effects and help the bones too. Thanks JUDY!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Jeanne D said:

Thanks Judy!
    Yes, the brand name is Evista. It was used for postmenopausal women's bones, but, was found to aid in the reduction of breast cancer recurrence. I need to read more about it. It seemed to have a lot less side effects and help the bones too. Thanks JUDY!

This sounds like something
    This sounds like something that would work for me after the nightmare I went through on Tamoxifen. I still haven't started the arimidex, since I have now strained my neck muscles doing house work and am afraid to start it since I'm taking so much medication for that. Also, if I do have side effects, I wouldn't know if it was from the arimidex or all the meds I'm taking for my neck. I will definitely be asking my oncologist next time I see him. Thank you all, Lili
  • wercancerfree
    wercancerfree Member Posts: 7
    Jeanne D said:

Thanks Judy!

Raloxifene (Evista) was
    Raloxifene (Evista) was given to me instead because I have fibroids in my uterus. They said tamoxifin would not be a good choice for me. I had DCIS in 2007 and have been on Evista now for 3 years. So far no problems.