mom's having leg "heaviness" as well as pelvic discomfort...what should i do?

marc24
marc24 Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello...i wanted to ask some of you guys if the heaviness feeling around behind the pelvis and leg heaviness just something u experienced? my mom was diagnosed with colorectal cancer wit liver mets about a month ago...just wondering what type of "treatments" there are, whether over-the-counter or anything your doctor/oncologist prescribed or advice. I want them to have topics to throw to the oncologist tomorrow and on thursday during her 1st chemo. I feel like now since she knows its cancer, she feels even more accountable with what she feels, i believe she must have had these symptoms for a while now since i remember her telling me some slight feel of heaviness like 6 months ago..but she and well as us thought nothing of it and believed it was her work...but now since she knows, she definitely identifies it and i want to help her at least make her feel comfortable...her discomfort is basically both her legs and the pelvic bone and the muscles around...i asked her to describe it and she said that it feels like she sat in one position for a long time or sat on a bad chair for a while and feels the weird sensation after..and the "pain" or "discomfort" is 3 out of 10....let me know if this is similar to what u experience...thanks again fellas!!!!

Comments

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Heaviness, numbness
    Hi Marc,

I had (and still have to some extent) leg issues, but they showed up after surgery. I believe the wierd positions they put you in in surgery can cause nerve problems. Then the oxaliplatin caused some neuropathy, as well. During chemo, I got leg pain and one leg got bigger and red--turns out it was a DVT (blood clot) in the leg. So there are several possibilities. Be sure the oncologist and whoever else knows about these symptoms so they can follow up.

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Leg troubles....
    My tumor was resting against my tailbone, and one of the symptoms was leg numbness. Not all the time, but it DID feel wierd.

I think you are bang on about mom's condition having been there awhile...just now there is attention to it. Be sure and ask the doctor on Thursday about it. And tell mom NOT to be a pain hero...pain leeches strength, and she needs it all to battle the beast!

Hugs, Kathi
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    KathiM said:

Leg troubles....
    My tumor was resting against my tailbone, and one of the symptoms was leg numbness. Not all the time, but it DID feel wierd.

I think you are bang on about mom's condition having been there awhile...just now there is attention to it. Be sure and ask the doctor on Thursday about it. And tell mom NOT to be a pain hero...pain leeches strength, and she needs it all to battle the beast!

Hugs, Kathi

not sure about before chemo
    but by the time I got to treatment 5 i had leg pain, and the way your mom describes it is about how it feels. I ended up with vicodin being prescribed, tried advil and tylenol but they didn't work. I only use the vicodin if I need to tho, as it doesn't really take the pain completely away, just makes you not care about it.