Question for sisters with mastectomies

Options
celinelvr
celinelvr Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I don't know if this is normal or not - I go to back to my surgeon in a couple days... I have a long lump below half my incision and it runs to the end of my incision and up toward my armpit. It is the biggest at the end of my incision. I had a R mast with 16 lymph nodes taken. I thought It would just be flat there, like above my incision I can feel my ribs....

Chemo was ok on the 7th, no multiple stabbings or side effects from starting it too fast....
I am waiting for it to hit me by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance your your input! HUGS!
~ Milly

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    I had the same thing after
    I had the same thing after my mastectomy. It was fluid build up which the doctor drained with a needle in the office. I didn't feel a thing because of the numbness. Scared the heck out of me but then everything scares us for awhile. Hugs.
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    Options
    "breast" exam
    I had DIEP reconstruction, and when I feel the new breasts now, I'd swear there were lumps or tumors that I need to get checked out. It's not breast tissue, so it can't be an issue.

I'm sure it's fluid build up or scar tissue, but it's wierd to feel and then to know I will have to ignore it. 'Course I'm not going to ignore it--I have a follow-up with my plastic surgeon on 4/13 and I'll ask. But it can't be anything troublesome.

Lisa
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    my input
    I recently went to my breast surgeon who checks me every 3 months. She felt something which she said was scar tissue. I also had the fluid build up which went away a few months after the mastectomy.

It's probably one of the above, but best to check with your doctor to be sure.

Best of luck,

Ohilly
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy and am
    I had a lumpectomy and am now going thru radiation treatments. Yesterday when my Radiation Oncologist checked me, he said I had a little swelling in my breast in a certain area. He said it was just fluid and that it is very common and that some women have it drained, but, it is best to just let your body absorb it. Cause if you drain it, you are just opening up another hole/place for an infection to take place and that your body will absorb it. I am not for sure if that might be what you are talking about or not.
  • celinelvr
    celinelvr Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Noel said:

I had a lumpectomy and am
    I had a lumpectomy and am now going thru radiation treatments. Yesterday when my Radiation Oncologist checked me, he said I had a little swelling in my breast in a certain area. He said it was just fluid and that it is very common and that some women have it drained, but, it is best to just let your body absorb it. Cause if you drain it, you are just opening up another hole/place for an infection to take place and that your body will absorb it. I am not for sure if that might be what you are talking about or not.

Update:
    Well, you girls were right. It was a pocket of fluid he said he could drain. I decided I had seen enough needles this week, so Im going to let it go for now. Thank you for your suport CSN sisters! This network is AWESOME!!
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Fluid build up
    After mastectomy I was sent home with 2 drains.One toward armpit the other in the center of incission. After drains were removed I swelled up from fluid and Dr had to asparate it 3 times. When I went for surgery to install port I had a slight temp.and fluid again so Dr cancelled port and reinstalled another drain. This was in for about 2 weeks and finally it stoped collecting fluid.
    Bill S.
  • bittner
    bittner Member Posts: 2
    Options
    lumps under underarm
    i had a masectemy on my right breast and about a month after the last radiation treatments i also got a big lump under the arm.the size of the lump chances on a daily basis.anyhow my oncologist ran a pet and a cat scan to double check and he assures me that there a no cancer cells present.so i guess i have to live with it