Dreaded armpit burn

Options
EveningStar2
EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK, I've got it. I'm using aquaphor and aloe vera with methol (for sunburns). And not wearing clothes much. Any other suggestions? as burns go, it's not that bad but it'd really annoying and hurts at times so I'm trying to get it healing. I have 5 more rad tx but they are concentrated on the incision so the armpit should be out of the field.

Maureen

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    I think you are doing the
    I think you are doing the best you can do. When you go for the next treatment talk to the oncologist because there is a prescription cream called silverdine that works great on burns. Try not to wear a bra so that the material doesn't rub against it. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Lili
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree, you are doing all
    I agree, you are doing all the right things. Ask your Dr. what else you can do. Some folks have gotten temporary relief by wrapping a bag of ice cubes or frozen veggies in a rag and laying that on it, if you can stand the contact with the rag. Ask the Dr. about silvadine, or other creams. Some have taken Benadryl, and I have heard of someone using a Benadryl cream, I think. Ask your Dr. The most important thing to do is to remember that this is temporary. you are over the hump and are headed toward the end. Did I mention... ask your Dr.?

Best wishes, seof.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree, you are doing all
    I agree, you are doing all the right things. Ask your Dr. what else you can do. Some folks have gotten temporary relief by wrapping a bag of ice cubes or frozen veggies in a rag and laying that on it, if you can stand the contact with the rag. Ask the Dr. about silvadine, or other creams. Some have taken Benadryl, and I have heard of someone using a Benadryl cream, I think. Ask your Dr. The most important thing to do is to remember that this is temporary. you are over the hump and are headed toward the end. Did I mention... ask your Dr.?

Best wishes, seof.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My radiation oncologist gave
    My radiation oncologist gave me Biafine, but, I am not burnt yet. I have only had 14 treatments...23 to go. You might ask your oncologist for it. Try it and see if it might help you. Good luck to you! I hope you feel better!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Kristin N said:

My radiation oncologist gave
    My radiation oncologist gave me Biafine, but, I am not burnt yet. I have only had 14 treatments...23 to go. You might ask your oncologist for it. Try it and see if it might help you. Good luck to you! I hope you feel better!

Armpit burn
    When I was 4 treatments out of the finishing line I had this wonderful technician come into the room, he was huge and very black with a lovely Jamaican accent..... He told me to "Get Attitude, Walk like a Sista, keep ya hand on ya hip and give it some air".......It worked..

Good Luck J xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    new cream

I saw the radiation oncologist today and she asked me if I wanted something else for the burn--which she said looked really good. Of course I said yes so I have a sample of "biafine" that feels good for the last 3.5 hours. We'll see how it goes. 2 more treatments.

Maureen
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

new cream

I saw the radiation oncologist today and she asked me if I wanted something else for the burn--which she said looked really good. Of course I said yes so I have a sample of "biafine" that feels good for the last 3.5 hours. We'll see how it goes. 2 more treatments.

Maureen

Maureen
    That is what I wrote you that my radiation oncologist gave me. He said it was the best that they had found. He also gave me hydrocortisone to put under the biafine because I have a little of what they call "radiation dermatitis". That is those little red bumps that ITCH! But, the biafine is doing great for me. I am in my fourth week, a little pink, but, no pain yet. Let me know how you do!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

new cream

Maureen

So
    Are you done now with radiation? How are you? I wish I were. :( I am on #19 today and have 18 more to go. :(((( Did the biafine help you? Did you burn bad? I am getting darker pink now and am afraid of getting the bad burn.
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    Noel said:

So
    Are you done now with radiation? How are you? I wish I were. :( I am on #19 today and have 18 more to go. :(((( Did the biafine help you? Did you burn bad? I am getting darker pink now and am afraid of getting the bad burn.

I am
    done!! The biafine is helping the burn--I got another sample today. Since I had the "boost" for this week the rest of the breast is doing pretty well. The burn is not bad according to the doc and the therapists. *I* am not happy with it but most of the problem is where it is. I am right handed and move that arm a lot. Use lots of aquaphor/aloe vera/biafine/whatever. I'm not sure it matters so much what you use, just use it. I did twice a day and I was generous with the stuff but I didn't get up in the armpit. My radiation doctor was amazed at how well my skin did because 1) I am fair and 2) I have big boobs D/DD. I think she expected much worse.

Maureen
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

I am
    done!! The biafine is helping the burn--I got another sample today. Since I had the "boost" for this week the rest of the breast is doing pretty well. The burn is not bad according to the doc and the therapists. *I* am not happy with it but most of the problem is where it is. I am right handed and move that arm a lot. Use lots of aquaphor/aloe vera/biafine/whatever. I'm not sure it matters so much what you use, just use it. I did twice a day and I was generous with the stuff but I didn't get up in the armpit. My radiation doctor was amazed at how well my skin did because 1) I am fair and 2) I have big boobs D/DD. I think she expected much worse.

Maureen

I also am well endowed and I
    I also am well endowed and I heard that makes the burn worse. Have you heard that? And, did you or anyone use the aloe vera straight from the plant? Did it just make the burn not hurt or do you think it helped it to heal? I am just using cortisone for the itches and biafine for the burn. And, congrats on being done. I have the boosters coming up..what is that like? Worse?
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

I also am well endowed and I
    I also am well endowed and I heard that makes the burn worse. Have you heard that? And, did you or anyone use the aloe vera straight from the plant? Did it just make the burn not hurt or do you think it helped it to heal? I am just using cortisone for the itches and biafine for the burn. And, congrats on being done. I have the boosters coming up..what is that like? Worse?

rads
    I did not use aloe except at the very end and not from the plant. I think almost anything would work just use it liberally and often. The redness continues because you keep getting cooked. The boost was actually easier, to the incision site and quicker,
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

rads
    I did not use aloe except at the very end and not from the plant. I think almost anything would work just use it liberally and often. The redness continues because you keep getting cooked. The boost was actually easier, to the incision site and quicker,

Thanks!
    The boost was easier? I thought it would be worse since it is supposed to be stronger. And, I think I have 10 or 12 to do, which seems like a lot to me.