Location, location, location

Comments

• jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    FAPMom47 said:

North Carolina
    I was born in Cleveland,Ohio, and now I live in Shelby N.C. in Cleveland County. Love the country better then the city, anyday.

Someone was born in...
    Cleveland. When we were kids it was a booming place to live. The Cleveland zoo, museums, it was safe to ride the Rapid transit downtown. I remember Ford motor Co. was open and running 24/7. The steel industry was booming...just about everything is gone down hill. I've got 2 brothers that still live outside Cleveland in Rocky River. They have their own businesses and are doing quite well considering the economic mess up North. I was born at Deaconess Hospital...I don't know if that place is still open.
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    kmygil said:

Buford, GA via the world!
    Hey Diane!

We're practically neighbors! I live in laid-back Buford, GA--at least it was country when we moved there, but now it is the 'burbs. I love Georgia.

Originally I am from Liberia, West Africa, born of an American mother and a Danish father. Grew up in Liberia, went to high school in Denmark, went to college in Liberia, came to the U.S. for my Masters spending time in Tennessee and Wisconsin, married a Canadian whom I later divorced and arrived in North Georgia & married a local guy. Had triple citizenship, but opted finally for American. My parents came here in '92 and enjoyed Georgia, as well. Unfortunately, my father passed in '95 and my mother in '04.

I travelled a lot while growing up, but I've only felt really at home in Liberia and Georgia. It must be the red clay!

Kirsten

Hey
    Well been in phx az for 13 yrs It is very hot here but its a dry heat they say. beautiful day todat high 78 many interestings things in az like the grand canyon and the best thing is everything is pretty close to phx.We are from ca originaly simi valley ca to be exact. we love the beach.

michelle
  • mkaz
    mkaz Member Posts: 12

Buellton, Calif. about 45
    Buellton, Calif. about 45 min. north of Santa Barbara. The town was named after a pea farmer Richrad Buell...therefore "Buells town"
    Chip

location, location, location
    Hey Chip,
    I've actually been to Buellton. I have a sister and other family that live in Solvang and surrounding towns.

I love California.

Mary
  • mkaz
    mkaz Member Posts: 12

Hey
    Well been in phx az for 13 yrs It is very hot here but its a dry heat they say. beautiful day todat high 78 many interestings things in az like the grand canyon and the best thing is everything is pretty close to phx.We are from ca originaly simi valley ca to be exact. we love the beach.

michelle

Great Idea
    Great idea Diane,

Being a newcomer its really nice to see where your all from.

I live in New Tripoli, PA. Never heard of it? Well its 15 minutes north of Allentown,Pa. Does anyone remember the Bill Joel song about Allentown? I am also located about 1 hour north of Philadelphia and 30 to 45 minutes south of the Pocono Mts. The appalachian trail is about 10 minutes from my house. I live in the country nestled amongst the beautiful farmland of Pennsylvania Dutch country. We are avid hikers.

Have a great day,
    Mary Kaz
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    mkaz said:

Great Idea
    Great idea Diane,

Being a newcomer its really nice to see where your all from.

I live in New Tripoli, PA. Never heard of it? Well its 15 minutes north of Allentown,Pa. Does anyone remember the Bill Joel song about Allentown? I am also located about 1 hour north of Philadelphia and 30 to 45 minutes south of the Pocono Mts. The appalachian trail is about 10 minutes from my house. I live in the country nestled amongst the beautiful farmland of Pennsylvania Dutch country. We are avid hikers.

Have a great day,
    Mary Kaz

another Canuck
    I am from a small city called Owen sound about 100 miles north of Toronto, Ontario. We are on Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron and one of the three snowiest cities in Canada.

Not all of our cancer care is delievered here and we often have to travel to larger cities like Toronto and London Ontario. This is ok in summer but during the winter it presents a whole new set of stresses. Fortunately my chemo is being given at my local hospital. Lots of hockey and fishing here.

~Mags~
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    ldot123 said:

Toronto
    Yes I am a Canuk. Toronto is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario. We are celebrating our 175th year, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, FC and Raptors. It is a very multicultural city with folks from all around the world who tend to retain their heritage which makes for a wonderful selection of interesting restaurants - Italian, Greek, Chinese, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, French, English, Korean, Persian, Moroccan, Russian and many others. Nice post.
    Cheers, Lance

Jamestown the Snow belt
    Lance I love Toronto I went there for my honeymoon and loved it. I'm from Jamestown NY the corner of New York State where we are known for lake effect snow. It is also the hometown of Lucille Ball and the 10,000 Maniacs. We are actully pretty close to Cleveland,Buffalo and Pittsburgh and you can't forget Niagara Falls.Michelle
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Hoops country
    I am a Virginia native and will always love my home state so much. However, we now live in Reidsville, North Carolina. Very close to Greensboro. ACC country, people! Hey all you hoops fans, stand up and clap your hands!

*hugs*
    Gail

Virginia
    Toosie1, I've been to Virginia and it is a wonderful place. The "Visitors" areas were always clean...I loved the beach and especially the history of Virginia.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Upper NY State
    That's interesting Diane, GOLD!!!
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    maglets said:

another Canuck
    I am from a small city called Owen sound about 100 miles north of Toronto, Ontario. We are on Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron and one of the three snowiest cities in Canada.

Not all of our cancer care is delievered here and we often have to travel to larger cities like Toronto and London Ontario. This is ok in summer but during the winter it presents a whole new set of stresses. Fortunately my chemo is being given at my local hospital. Lots of hockey and fishing here.

~Mags~

Bump
    Bumping this topic up for FAPMom.

As you can see, there's already a topic started on where everyone is from. There is also another topic with over 100 posts in it describing everyone's diagnosis, treatments, and where they are at now.

Cheryl
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member

Bump
    Bumping this topic up for FAPMom.

As you can see, there's already a topic started on where everyone is from. There is also another topic with over 100 posts in it describing everyone's diagnosis, treatments, and where they are at now.

Cheryl

cheryl
    You are right
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member

cheryl
    You are right

Up state New York
    I live in a small town called Westbrookville. We have about 1500 people here.. Its very country and I live in Orange county New York...Lower Catskill region about 90 min from New York City..I love it here..Was born and raised here too..We have alot of great fishing here..The Neversink and Delaware River plus the Basha Kill which is a natural made swamp..Great for bird watching..People come from everywhere for the bird watching...Very quiet and peaceful.....
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    I'm from Illinois. I live just a short distance from Peoria, Illinois.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    tiny one said:

I'm from Illinois. I live just a short distance from Peoria, Illinois.

Peoria
    Tiny One, My hubby is from Good Hope (Macomb) and I used to live in East Peoria, then Deer Creek. When we were married, we bought a farm halfway between the two - outside Maquon. My best friend (who flew out to take care of me post surgery) lives in Washington! We may have been neighbors!

Vicki
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Glv49 said:

Hi,
    What a good topic, its

Hi,

What a good topic, its nice to see where everyone is from. I am from Pittsburgh, PA. A steel town, with the Six Time Super Bowl Champs The Pittsburgh Steelers.

Gail

Steeler country too

I live in Pittsburgh,Pa also. Close to the Airport

Dawn
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    jenben59 said:

Someone was born in...
    Cleveland. When we were kids it was a booming place to live. The Cleveland zoo, museums, it was safe to ride the Rapid transit downtown. I remember Ford motor Co. was open and running 24/7. The steel industry was booming...just about everything is gone down hill. I've got 2 brothers that still live outside Cleveland in Rocky River. They have their own businesses and are doing quite well considering the economic mess up North. I was born at Deaconess Hospital...I don't know if that place is still open.

JUST LAY YOUR HANDS ON SOME PITTSBURGH STEELERS FAN
    I grew-up in Cleveland; west side; North Olmsted - about 10 minutes down Dover Center Road from Bay Village. I love my Cleveland Browns. Of course, since they're always in a "rebuilding year" (read as "losing season"), I always root for the Steelers in the playoffs (unless they're playing Indianapolis - my hometown.).

Lived all over the place since Cleveland: Johnston Atoll, Hawaii - about 700 miles west south west of Honolulu (looking for Mary Ann, of course); Orlando, Florida; St. Petersburg, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St Louis, Missouri (don't ask - call it temporary insanity); Yorktown, Virginia; Key West, Florida; Panama City, Florida; Washington, DC; Biloxi, Mississippi; Charleston, South Carolina; and soon to be back in Key West. I don't do spring cleaning, I just move!
  • dasspears
    dasspears Member Posts: 227
    Texas here....
    I live in Allen, about 20 miles north of Dallas. I am fortunate to live near an affiliate of the UT Southwest Cancer Center that utiltizes the Lance Armstrong Foundation Shaped Beam radiation. I am 14 months out of treatment and NED so far. I plan to stay that way too!

Happy Easter to all!
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    We live about 80 miles south of Chicago. Rensselaer and surrounding area is mostly a Dutch community. We live on the same property that my husband's grandparents brought Tulip bulbs over from Holland and grew them here. Believe it or not, we still have a few of the tulips..still coming up!

Claudia
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Waimanalo
    My town, Waimanalo Beach on Oahu, doesn't seem to have much of a recorded history, but here are some highlights:

Thomas Jefferson Cummins Jr., whose mother was a cousin of King Kamehameha I, developed the area as a horse and cattle ranch in the 1840s, and his son John Cummins turned to sugar cane later in the 19th century. In 1875, Queen Emma toured the island of Oahu, and John showed her around Waimanalo.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

Waimanalo Beach was the site where the first Japanese prisoner of war, Kazuo Sakamaki was captured during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in World War Two on December 7, 1941.

The "Robin's Nest" estate from the TV series Magnum, P.I. is located in Waimanalo.

Greg
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    PGLGreg said:

Waimanalo
    My town, Waimanalo Beach on Oahu, doesn't seem to have much of a recorded history, but here are some highlights:

Thomas Jefferson Cummins Jr., whose mother was a cousin of King Kamehameha I, developed the area as a horse and cattle ranch in the 1840s, and his son John Cummins turned to sugar cane later in the 19th century. In 1875, Queen Emma toured the island of Oahu, and John showed her around Waimanalo.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

Waimanalo Beach was the site where the first Japanese prisoner of war, Kazuo Sakamaki was captured during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in World War Two on December 7, 1941.

The "Robin's Nest" estate from the TV series Magnum, P.I. is located in Waimanalo.

Greg

SC
    Boiling Springs, SC. 2 hrs from ATL, 1.5 hrs from Charlotte, 3.5 hrs from pretty much any beach in SC. My house is about 7 minutes from two large lakes in either direction. I have a spring fed pond in my front yard and a creek that borders the western edge of my property. There are about 10 springs in the area that gives the village its name Boiling Springs, 4 of them are on my little 3 acre lot. We villagers of boiling springs like to consider ourselves country, but we have experienced a population boom in the last decade. Residents refuse to incorporate and form a city. If we incorporated and went just by our Boiling Springs Fire District we would be the 5th largest city in SC. There is an MD Anderson affiliated Cancer Center 10 minutes from my front door. We have the Steadman-Hawkings sports medicine complex, where athletes from all over the nation come to get fixed up. My family and I really like living here.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    snommintj said:

SC
    Boiling Springs, SC. 2 hrs from ATL, 1.5 hrs from Charlotte, 3.5 hrs from pretty much any beach in SC. My house is about 7 minutes from two large lakes in either direction. I have a spring fed pond in my front yard and a creek that borders the western edge of my property. There are about 10 springs in the area that gives the village its name Boiling Springs, 4 of them are on my little 3 acre lot. We villagers of boiling springs like to consider ourselves country, but we have experienced a population boom in the last decade. Residents refuse to incorporate and form a city. If we incorporated and went just by our Boiling Springs Fire District we would be the 5th largest city in SC. There is an MD Anderson affiliated Cancer Center 10 minutes from my front door. We have the Steadman-Hawkings sports medicine complex, where athletes from all over the nation come to get fixed up. My family and I really like living here.

Bumping for our new members
    Share if you'd like!