Name something that gives you great comfort

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    maglets said:

sorry Cheryl
    just a brief diversion here....you don't mind do you sweetie?

wow you saw The Man and your son is actually called Dylan.....that is so cool.
    I must have listened to Blonde on Blonde 90 gizillion times and where are you tonight sweet Marie?? rleased May 1966...oh dear where does the time go?

mags

Diversions are great comfort! :D
    Hahaha Mags... no problem on the diversions... diversions can be great comfort!!

I have never seen Dylan in concert... but on a totally different slant, do I get Brownie points for being able to count Long John Baldy (RIP) as a friend of mine? I had the honour on numerous occasions to be able to hear his stories. The man was such a legend and he had stories that the rest of us could only dream of... yet he took them and his fame in his stride. I miss him... but his music will live on forever!!

Reminiscing,

Cheryl
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Mike49 said:

several things
    Comfort comes from several sources for me. My wife Jenny has been as solid as a rock and if she can be, she's there for as many treatments as possible. As a caregiver, she is remarkable. She did my dressing changes for 5 or six weeks when I had a wound infection and i am not talking small infection, you could put your hand in this thing, that's how big it was, she nursed me ( and yes she is a RN) back to health and ready for chemo. The scar is so minimal you can hardly tell there was an infection.. It can't of been easy, sometimes it hurt like hell, I wonder if I could be that strong if the shoes were reversed.

My kids are a great source of normalcy, they know dad's got cancer, my 12 year old has stepped up in ways that I notice and admire. My ten year old is a source of great joy, he has a way with words that cracks me up. I have a seven year old stepdaughter who probably doesn't realize the cancer theme so much but she is another source of joy. I can't forget the two dogs, Mr.Bo Jangles and Penny. When I had my port put in, I slept or tried too most of the afternoon in discomfort. Once when I woke up, I found every dog toy was laid on top or beside me, Little Bo didn't know what was wrong but he thought his toys would help. They are both dog's from the shelter who found a home with us.

I also find that this cancer battle makes me appreciate things around me more. The other day I heard the sound of a bird's song and stopped to listen and watch, I don't think I would have done that last year.

Hi Mike
    Your words, "I also find that this cancer battle makes me appreciate things around me more. The other day I heard the sound of a bird's song and stopped to listen and watch, I don't think I would have done that last year." ring so true for me too. I will pull over to watch the sunrise or sunset. I almost always have my camera with me and I will stop, turn around or whatever it takes to absorb the moment. As much as cancer sucks, there are good things that can come out of it if you take the time like you do to notice them.

I pulled over the other morning to capture this foggy sunrise.
    Sun trying to peek through the morning fog

This is called a Circumhorizon Arc that I saw in July of 2007
    Circumhorizon arc

This is a Sun Dog, I see them a few time a week in the morning or late afternoon sky.
    It's amazing how many people never see these yet they are always there.
    You just have to take the time to look
    Sundogs

This is a great site for Atmospheric Optics and other cool stuff. Please check it out, you'll see amazing stuff.
    -phil

PS: I agree with the kid parts too, without mine I don't think I'd have made it this far. And my wife too...
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Mike49 said:

several things
    Comfort comes from several sources for me. My wife Jenny has been as solid as a rock and if she can be, she's there for as many treatments as possible. As a caregiver, she is remarkable. She did my dressing changes for 5 or six weeks when I had a wound infection and i am not talking small infection, you could put your hand in this thing, that's how big it was, she nursed me ( and yes she is a RN) back to health and ready for chemo. The scar is so minimal you can hardly tell there was an infection.. It can't of been easy, sometimes it hurt like hell, I wonder if I could be that strong if the shoes were reversed.

My kids are a great source of normalcy, they know dad's got cancer, my 12 year old has stepped up in ways that I notice and admire. My ten year old is a source of great joy, he has a way with words that cracks me up. I have a seven year old stepdaughter who probably doesn't realize the cancer theme so much but she is another source of joy. I can't forget the two dogs, Mr.Bo Jangles and Penny. When I had my port put in, I slept or tried too most of the afternoon in discomfort. Once when I woke up, I found every dog toy was laid on top or beside me, Little Bo didn't know what was wrong but he thought his toys would help. They are both dog's from the shelter who found a home with us.

I also find that this cancer battle makes me appreciate things around me more. The other day I heard the sound of a bird's song and stopped to listen and watch, I don't think I would have done that last year.

ahhh
    ahhh Mike that is such a beautiful post. I love the story of the dog toys...that is so wonderful ....bless Little Bo's heart.

I think you are right about stopping and listening too. I live in Canada and we are just starting to thaw. Every robin's song makes me stop and listen....she sings....cheer up cheer up. I could not have come this far without my husband either.....he is a rock

thanks Mike
    mags
  • maglets
    Mike49 said:

several things

ahhh
    ahhh Mike that is such a beautiful post. I love the story of the dog toys...that is so wonderful ....bless Little Bo's heart.

I think you are right about stopping and listening too. I live in Canada and we are just starting to thaw. Every robin's song makes me stop and listen....she sings....cheer up cheer up. I could not have come this far without my husband either.....he is a rock

thanks Mike
    mags
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Mike49 said:

several things

You're Right
    I see things I never saw before, hear birds, enjoy watching the birds and squirrels feed, laugh/smile at little kids throwing tantrums in the store....I can find humor or joy in many little things.

I just read a quote from Michael J. Fox that I really like: "For everything this disease has taken, something of greater value has been given--sometimes just a marker that points me in a new direction that I might not otherwise have traveled."

And, canzer still sucks!

Kimby
  • CherylHutch
    Mike49 said:

several things

Simple things
    Excellent post, Mike!! It's soooo true.... sometimes it's not earth shattering great things that give us comfort. It's the small, every day things in life that either we didn't really pay attention to them before, or we just took them for granted because they are always there and there was no reason to suspect they wouldn't be. For those of you who have children, I'm sure there are days when you ask yourselves "WHY did we have kids??" , but all it takes is a bout of cancer and even when they are testing you, you see the wonder and magic that comes with bringing these little beings into the world and watching them grow towards adulthood.

Like you, Phil and Mags... it's the small things that I've always taken for granted that now I see with new eyes. For instance, I live across the street from the beach (English Bay). It is a very protected bay, so is calm.. but is also a huge entrance way to Vancouver's ports, so lots of ship traffic comes through, or docks in the bay. I've always enjoyed living across from the beach, but because it's always there, I never "really" see it.

One day last week, we had one of those spring winds... where it's windy all day... a real chilly north wind. I noticed the bay was so different... almost violent because of the wind. So I took my camera outside and took a picture from across the street:

Ok... and since I'm in the mode of adding pictures, here's probably the passion that keeps me going no matter how I'm feeling! You've all heard me talk about my love for my theatre involvement and how I spend my days at the theatre office. This is a year-round operation although the shows we do are at an outdoor theatre so are only running in the summer months. Here is a rehearsal shot, at night, at our wonderful outdoor theatre:

And, as I mentioned in the first post of this topic... my little darling miniature schnauzer, Bridget. In this picture, I had not gotten her hair cut for the summer because she is with me day and night and the evenings can get a little chilly once the sun goes down. So she looks like an orphan dog (this year she will be groomed and sporting a summer hair-do). But in this picture, she is all for helping the guys set up the sound towers LOL!:

Life is good! Happiness is good! Life and Happiness = Comfort :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    maglets said:

wow it worked
    this is the little cabin for chemo;;;thanks to everyone for the help on adding an image . Mary did you make those hats? they are gorgeous imagewinter cabin>

I love it...
    These little places are perfect. I relax am at peace when I'm not around a busy, congested area with so many people, or dealing with everyday stuff. I happpy for you.
  • jenben59
    kimby said:

Sonia32
    Sonia,

I'm bumping this thread up to be sure you've seen it. We all have dark days no matter how upbeat or positive we are. Many of us have learned to cry in the shower to spare our families what we can. I have bad days and bad moments on good days. When this thread originated I was too sick to participate. I'm doing better now and maybe it will help us both.

Comfort is a strange thing that comes from strange places. It isn't the same as joy, but can facilitate moments of true joy. I have the best bathtub in the world. It is big, jetted (Jacuzzi)and I have bubbles, oils, smelly salts, candles, a stereo system, tv, stacks of books and magazines, catalogs at Christmas time, and sometimes a glass of wine. I have fibromyalsia and arthritis in my spine (I'm 45) so I developed my bath habit to help with pain management. Some days I take 2-3 hour baths! It cleanses my body and my soul.

You have to understand that I could never really take baths before - I couldn't sit still long enough. I have a pool and a hot tub that are full of family and friends all summer. I have the 'party' house because I love to have people around me all the time. I couldn't sit still and didnt spend time with ME. I am now a different person. I get comfort (and joy) from different sources now.

I hope you find your way. This thread is about tangible things and I'm only mentioning one of many. But truely, it's the intangibles that help the most and laughter is number ONE for me. Laughter gives me life and makes me want to live.

HTH,

Kimby

imgsrc=Photobucket

I agree
    You look comfortable even in the picture. It is very relaxing to me too.
  • jenben59

Simple things
    Excellent post, Mike!! It's soooo true.... sometimes it's not earth shattering great things that give us comfort. It's the small, every day things in life that either we didn't really pay attention to them before, or we just took them for granted because they are always there and there was no reason to suspect they wouldn't be. For those of you who have children, I'm sure there are days when you ask yourselves "WHY did we have kids??" , but all it takes is a bout of cancer and even when they are testing you, you see the wonder and magic that comes with bringing these little beings into the world and watching them grow towards adulthood.

Like you, Phil and Mags... it's the small things that I've always taken for granted that now I see with new eyes. For instance, I live across the street from the beach (English Bay). It is a very protected bay, so is calm.. but is also a huge entrance way to Vancouver's ports, so lots of ship traffic comes through, or docks in the bay. I've always enjoyed living across from the beach, but because it's always there, I never "really" see it.

One day last week, we had one of those spring winds... where it's windy all day... a real chilly north wind. I noticed the bay was so different... almost violent because of the wind. So I took my camera outside and took a picture from across the street:

Ok... and since I'm in the mode of adding pictures, here's probably the passion that keeps me going no matter how I'm feeling! You've all heard me talk about my love for my theatre involvement and how I spend my days at the theatre office. This is a year-round operation although the shows we do are at an outdoor theatre so are only running in the summer months. Here is a rehearsal shot, at night, at our wonderful outdoor theatre:

And, as I mentioned in the first post of this topic... my little darling miniature schnauzer, Bridget. In this picture, I had not gotten her hair cut for the summer because she is with me day and night and the evenings can get a little chilly once the sun goes down. So she looks like an orphan dog (this year she will be groomed and sporting a summer hair-do). But in this picture, she is all for helping the guys set up the sound towers LOL!:

Life is good! Happiness is good! Life and Happiness = Comfort :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Cheryl, Iove the pictures...
    especially the theatre. I love the theatre and have absolutely no talent in the arts. Post all the pictures you'd like...I look at all of them. Hope you are doing well and I do appreciate all the posts with important and "experienced" information. you're great.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917

Hey, don't forget me!! :)
    If we are having a hot tub party... ok, a bathtub party, then I wanna be counted in too :D Is this also a "Pets Optional" party?? I promise she will be good although, if she stays true to form and behaves like she has at any other party I've taken her to, the first thing she will do is case out your home and search for the master bedroom. It's one of the one oddities about my dog... she couldn't care less what was going on around her, she just insists that when it's bed time she knows where the biggest most comfortable bed is :)

Hahaha... so should we spread the word... "Party in Kimby's bathtub??" :)

And yes... Phil you MUST provide the music entertainment... and bring along the post-bath comforters!!

Ohhhh... and Shoppergal... little Chiquita sounds like a superdog!! If Kimby gives us the ok to bring pets, then you must bring Chiquita to the party too :)

Hahahaha... oh, I beez soooo bad!! This could have been a private party and I just jumped in and invited a whole bunch... oops, sorry, Kimby ;)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

We couldn't forget you, Cheryl!
    I don't think there is any such thing as a 'private' party on this list...nor should there be! We are all in this together.

Hey, I don't have a dog to bring! Our last few dogs were Great Pyrenees, and I don't think they would fit. But I can cuddle with your dogs! (Just don't tell Betty, my cat!)

See you at the tub....Vicki
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    VickiCO said:

We couldn't forget you, Cheryl!
    I don't think there is any such thing as a 'private' party on this list...nor should there be! We are all in this together.

Hey, I don't have a dog to bring! Our last few dogs were Great Pyrenees, and I don't think they would fit. But I can cuddle with your dogs! (Just don't tell Betty, my cat!)

See you at the tub....Vicki

Great Pyrenees
    Great Pyrenees? Is that all you got? lol My 'puppy' is an English Mastiff and she's working on 200lbs. (both her parents are over that) We have room for any dogs you can borrow: big, small or in between!

Kimby
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    PhillieG said:

Hi Mike
    Your words, "I also find that this cancer battle makes me appreciate things around me more. The other day I heard the sound of a bird's song and stopped to listen and watch, I don't think I would have done that last year." ring so true for me too. I will pull over to watch the sunrise or sunset. I almost always have my camera with me and I will stop, turn around or whatever it takes to absorb the moment. As much as cancer sucks, there are good things that can come out of it if you take the time like you do to notice them.

I pulled over the other morning to capture this foggy sunrise.
    Sun trying to peek through the morning fog

This is called a Circumhorizon Arc that I saw in July of 2007
    Circumhorizon arc

This is a Sun Dog, I see them a few time a week in the morning or late afternoon sky.
    It's amazing how many people never see these yet they are always there.
    You just have to take the time to look
    Sundogs

This is a great site for Atmospheric Optics and other cool stuff. Please check it out, you'll see amazing stuff.
    -phil

PS: I agree with the kid parts too, without mine I don't think I'd have made it this far. And my wife too...

oh the sun dog
    Phil, I lived in Alaska for many years but left about six years ago. I remember those sun dogs on clear cold early spring days. I enjoyed your pictures very much. I use to travel alot in the north and visited Canada, BC and Alberta mostly often. I admire the Canadian Health Care System and the commitment of your citizens to providing this benefit to all.

Your an inspiration to me, I am only about 8 months into my fight, but I admire the strength and outlook you have. I also love the blues.

MIke
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012

Inserting Images
    OK... here goes. The html tag for inserting images is very easy... it's getting the concept across that is a little harder to do ;)

< img src="URL of image" >

Above is the HTML tag that you must use, minus the spaces after and before the brackets < >. But if I didn't put the spaces there, it wouldn't show up in this post ;)

The next thing is you will have to have uploaded your photos to one of the online photo storage areas, like Flickr or if you have your own website, then you can upload your photos to your server, which would create an individual "URL". To put one of your own pictures, then it would have to be the URL to where your picture is on the internet ;)

< img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/495188067_1c5f57537a.jpg" >

The above is the coding for my picture of Bridget... you would replace the URL with the URL to your own picture, as well, take out the spaces between < and img and then at the end between .jpg" and >. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Great Thread!!
    Many things... There's my daughters... X3 Any time with them any of them is a delight. Time with ALL of them is AWESOME!

------------------ Morgan ----------------- Kelly ------------------ Robyn-------------

And the best thing... time with their Mom. Which is everyday in Vancouver's beautiful West End.

Thanks for starting this great thread Cheryl. And thanks for the tip on inserting pictures!! Too cool!

Rob; in Vancouver
  • CherylHutch
    robinvan said:

Great Thread!!
    Many things... There's my daughters... X3 Any time with them any of them is a delight. Time with ALL of them is AWESOME!

------------------ Morgan ----------------- Kelly ------------------ Robyn-------------

And the best thing... time with their Mom. Which is everyday in Vancouver's beautiful West End.

Thanks for starting this great thread Cheryl. And thanks for the tip on inserting pictures!! Too cool!

Rob; in Vancouver

Wonderful girls!
    No wonder your time with all three of them would be awesome, Robin!! Talk about 3 good-looking, fun-loving young ladies!! How could you not have fun with them???

And, what can I say? When Vancouver's beautiful West End has weather like we had today, I can see why we would have a hard time trying to convince visitors they can't stay here forever :) When friends of mine come to Vancouver for the very first time, I love showing them around. It always shocks me with their reaction. I mean, sure, I expect them to think Vancouver is beautiful, because it is. It's a clean city surrounded by mountains and water and smack dab in the middle of a rainforest, so of course trees and greenery are a given. But when they cry and say they don't want to leave, I'm always surprised that they could form that much of an attachment, having only been here for a vacation ;)

Anywho... glad you could put a picture up... and what a lovely picture it is!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • maglets
    look what happened
    ahhh look what happened to my happy shed yesterday....big storm. Guess I won't be doing my infusion recovery there this week :):)

where is spring

imagesnow>
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    maglets said:

look what happened
    ahhh look what happened to my happy shed yesterday....big storm. Guess I won't be doing my infusion recovery there this week :):)

where is spring

imagesnow>

Mother Nature
    yep, Mother Nature is doing us in here in Cincy.....tried to cover
    some daffodils with grocery sacks yesterday and that didn't work....
    crabapple trees and viburnums have buds that I am hoping don;t
    get nipped.....MN is moody this year!

Barbara
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    maglets said:

look what happened

where is spring

imagesnow>

My Happy Shed
    Sorry to here about your spring snowfall!!

Here's my "happy shed". It helps me get around Vancouver on those really bad chemo days!!

Rob; in Vancouver (*)

"Yesterday I decided to go to the office. I got as far as the bedroom door. Chemo strikes." Peter Jennings
  • CherylHutch
    robinvan said:

My Happy Shed
    Sorry to here about your spring snowfall!!

Here's my "happy shed". It helps me get around Vancouver on those really bad chemo days!!

Rob; in Vancouver (*)

"Yesterday I decided to go to the office. I got as far as the bedroom door. Chemo strikes." Peter Jennings

HAHAHAHAHA!
    So that is YOU I see on your little shed scooter, scooting about the West End!! Hahahahaha!! That is so darn funny, Rob!! Gee... it looks just the right width that you can ride it around the seawall and would never have to stop for those uh... er... chemo breaks :D

LOL!!!

Cheryl
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member

HAHAHAHAHA!
    So that is YOU I see on your little shed scooter, scooting about the West End!! Hahahahaha!! That is so darn funny, Rob!! Gee... it looks just the right width that you can ride it around the seawall and would never have to stop for those uh... er... chemo breaks :D

LOL!!!

Cheryl

Grand Daughter
    Haley is seven smart as a whip a couple of years ago she becames sick all her joints hurted 6 months of crap test from pedetrition I set the app for the rumatoide dr and sure enough she has jra in more then 30 joints has been on enbrel shot once a week and methotr something its a chemo drug once a week but my joy comes from her dancing and doing the hula hoop and just being able to move really. shes a trooper never really complains but i know she must be in pain. I love her so much She would like to be a balerina dancer i said you go for it.

michelle
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member

Grand Daughter
    Haley is seven smart as a whip a couple of years ago she becames sick all her joints hurted 6 months of crap test from pedetrition I set the app for the rumatoide dr and sure enough she has jra in more then 30 joints has been on enbrel shot once a week and methotr something its a chemo drug once a week but my joy comes from her dancing and doing the hula hoop and just being able to move really. shes a trooper never really complains but i know she must be in pain. I love her so much She would like to be a balerina dancer i said you go for it.

michelle

Michelle
    Children are a beautiful joy! I am a kindergarten teacher (and mom) and I agree that watching kids dance is fabulous. Our younger daughter has special needs and I know what you mean about watching a child who might appear to have something working against them. Kids just go for each and don't see the limitations.
    Also, I want to let you know that friends of ours have a son who had a tough time with jra from 5 years old to about 12 and now he has grown out of it. He is a great soccer player. Keep up the hope for little Haley. :)
    Thinking about you and Angel.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen