Semi-Colon Roll Call

1356712

Comments

  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118

    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller....
    Present and accounted for!!!!!!!!

    Living in Lowell, Indiana (about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL)
    Diagnosed @ age 33 with stage 4 with liver mets in Oct 2001.
    Chemo and raditaion prior to surgery, surgery Jan 22, 2002, more chemo til June 2002, reversed ileostomy Sept 13, 2002, been NED EVER SINCE, BABY!!!!!!!!!


    I love this post!
    I love that it's Friday!
    I love you, man!

    LMAO!

    Stacy

    P.S. And "No" I am not medicated, but maybe should be!!! I have been told that I have a touch of tourettes...no barking @ people, but tend to speak without much of a filter! lol

    Talking without a filter
    Stacy, I have to tell you I am on meds and I still talk without a filter at times! I did it before meds and I still do it. I've also passed that on to my son who is now 32! Some people might think it's a bad thing,I don't. Good for you being NED, congratulations!!!
  • colon2
    colon2 Member Posts: 183

    Diane from Georgia
    I'm Diane from Villa Rica, Georgia

    Dx'd on Jan. 2nd, 2009, just days after my 58th birthday. Had resection on Jan. 7th. Spent 42 hours in the hospital before discharge. Surgeon removed 18" of colon via lap surgery. I was put on a regular diet less than 18 hours after surgery! Port installed a few weeks later.

    Stage III
    5 out of 17 lymph nodes showed 'a few cancer cells' (surgeons words) No sign of cancer in liver biopsy.
    No mets

    Currently having chemo. 3 out of 12 completed as of April 2, 2009. . I'm getting the usual triple cocktail and am wearing the fanny pack home for 46 hours. Fluorouracil Levoleucovorin Oxaliplatin


    I am exercising, eating a Mediterranean Diet, taking vitamins and praying.

    Carletta from Georgia
    I live in Hampton, Ga, which is about 30-35 miles south of downtown Atlanta. It is the town where Atlanta Motor Speedway is located. I grew up in Chicago. I loved Chicago, but I like it better here, the weather is much nicer.
    I went in for routine colonoscopy in Sept 2007. Having no symptoms. Found polyp, did biopsy. It was cancer. They removed 8 inches of colon and tested 101 lymph nodes. They were all clear. Told me I was cancer free, didn't need chemo.
    Went back in Nov 2008 for routine follow up colonoscopy, and as Gomer Pyle used to say SURPRISE! SURPRISE! Cancer was on colon wall this time. In the DRS. language they say, Moderately differentiated colonic adenocarcinoma with following features:
    Tumor Size:1.6x 1.5x0.2 CM
    Tumor invades into the Submucosa, but not the muscular propria.
    All margins of resection are negative for carcinoma
    Lymphatic/Vascular invasion is present
    Metastatic Carcinoma is identified in one of sixty-one lymph nodes
    CEA levels after surgery were 0.5
    Had surgery on Jan. 7,2009. Removed 24 inches this time, the surgeon says the less colon you have, the less chance of colon cancer. I guess that's one way of looking at it. Tested 61 lymph nodes and 1 tested positive. So currently I am on 12 treatments of Folfox. I have completed 3 and go for #4 on Monday. I would like to think that I have no cancer at this time, Hopefully they got it all out, but with that 1 lymph node, who knows. Maybe it was just starting in that one and when they took it out, that was that. Either way, I am going to do my best to beat this cancer and get back to my life withot Drs. all the time. A person just doesn't realize what a blesing good health is until you don't have it anymore. I don't think I will ever take it for granted again.
    Carletta
  • mc1717
    mc1717 Member Posts: 21
    Diagnosed 8/26/08
    Stage 2, no lymph nodes involved.

    Had six weeks chemo / radiation in October 08.

    Surgery on 12/30/08. removed 12 inches of decending colon and rectum. Currently have a illeostomy.

    Currently in middle of another round of Chemo. 5FU and leakovorin. Will finish on 6/12/09

    45 yrs old

    Live in Beecher, IL (30 miles south of Chicago)
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165
    mc1717 said:

    Diagnosed 8/26/08
    Stage 2, no lymph nodes involved.

    Had six weeks chemo / radiation in October 08.

    Surgery on 12/30/08. removed 12 inches of decending colon and rectum. Currently have a illeostomy.

    Currently in middle of another round of Chemo. 5FU and leakovorin. Will finish on 6/12/09

    45 yrs old

    Live in Beecher, IL (30 miles south of Chicago)

    started in nov 07
    dx nov 07 colon cancer right side tumor perforated colon wallfull of poop had surgery removed the tumor alot of colon stage three 6 months of chemo oxy lec ect . two spots showed up in june of 08 biopsy of liver and kidney postive for cancer and had new tumor growing in the sigmode area so second round of chemo eribix in july . had pain in jan 09 admitted to hospital blockage in colon , Dr going in to remove blockage Opened him up so many big tumors everywhere in the pelvic area all over the colon and small intestents on his kidney was given an ileostomy it is a mess . husband had pain pump inserted in the stomach cavity to make him comfortable but he is dying now and i will miss him so.

    michelle
  • rmcgraw
    rmcgraw Member Posts: 15

    started in nov 07
    dx nov 07 colon cancer right side tumor perforated colon wallfull of poop had surgery removed the tumor alot of colon stage three 6 months of chemo oxy lec ect . two spots showed up in june of 08 biopsy of liver and kidney postive for cancer and had new tumor growing in the sigmode area so second round of chemo eribix in july . had pain in jan 09 admitted to hospital blockage in colon , Dr going in to remove blockage Opened him up so many big tumors everywhere in the pelvic area all over the colon and small intestents on his kidney was given an ileostomy it is a mess . husband had pain pump inserted in the stomach cavity to make him comfortable but he is dying now and i will miss him so.

    michelle

    Me
    Diagnosed October 2006 (Happy Trick or Treat)- Stage IIb, no surrounding tissue involement, no lymph node involvement. 1st resection immediately upon diagnosis. 28 chemo/radiation treatments followed by Folfox. Finished in August 2007. Blockage 1 yr later (October 2007) at resection site, 2nd resection October-2007. Stricture at resection site, 3rd section in December 2007 with temp ileostomy, laser removal of pre-cancerous lesions on vaginal wall and bladder repair. February 2008, ileostomy repair and March 2008, ileostomy reversal. Still not considered NED, last PET (March 2009) lite up at ostomy site which is believed to be a hernia so awaiting hernia surgery. Also lite up at Port site and underwent ultrasound and mammagram. Benign cyst found in left breast being monitored closely. Also, small lesions on lower right lobe of lung but too small to diagnose.

    Shreveport, Louisiana
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    mc1717 said:

    Diagnosed 8/26/08
    Stage 2, no lymph nodes involved.

    Had six weeks chemo / radiation in October 08.

    Surgery on 12/30/08. removed 12 inches of decending colon and rectum. Currently have a illeostomy.

    Currently in middle of another round of Chemo. 5FU and leakovorin. Will finish on 6/12/09

    45 yrs old

    Live in Beecher, IL (30 miles south of Chicago)

    March 5, 2008
    My name is John
    Boiling Springs SC
    diagnosed @ 34
    Stage 4 with multiple large mets

    Technically not diagnosed until the 10th of march 2008.
    Had colonoscopy 05mar08, Dr. had oncology surgeon there before I woke up. Sent for CT scan with contrast same day.
    CT scan results immediately showed a dozen large tumors in liver, lungs, colon, gall bladder. Dr.'s agreed without confirming with biopsy that I had end stage 4 colon cancer. Biopsy results came back on 10th and verified Dr.s diagnosis.

    Good news/Bad news-PET scan revealed no mets in lungs. Multiple mets in liver, 6 of which were bigger than 5 cm.
    Cancer was inoperable.

    Eventhough I had no symptoms, Dr.'s agreed to place me on best supportive care.

    March 17th new Dr.s!

    Had port put in.

    March 20th went for chemo, port didn't work. Interventional radiologist replaced port by 11:30 am, receiving chemo by 1:30 pm

    great response to folfox w avastin.

    Colectomy, liver resection, ileostomy, on 01Jul08. 13 hrs of surgery, left hospital in six days, easy recovery. Ileostomy reversal 08Aug08.

    Ileostomy site infection delayed chemo. Folfir w/avastin for three cycles, liver recurrence, switched backe to folfox w/avastin

    2nd liver resection 13Jan09. 2 hour surgery home in 4 days. Developed liver abcess. Septic shock 6 times. Drain and stint put in liver. Drain removed 02 April 09.

    26Mar09 Most recent PET and CT reveal no cancer in abdominal cavity.

    I still have thyroid cancer, which is a whole different story. I will begin dealing with that next week. It should be fairly easy to deal with considering the last year. Tumor has barely increased in size over the last year and is not related to the colon cancer. One of the reasons I was placed on best supportive care by the first Dr.'s is because I had two primary cancers at the same time. Though rare it does occasionally happen. My current Dr.s ignored the Thyroid cancer as did I until we beat down the colon cancer.

    So I'm claiming NED status, eventhough I still have this thyroid cancer. Soon I'll start posting on the Thyroid page and claim NED status there too.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    rmcgraw said:

    Me
    Diagnosed October 2006 (Happy Trick or Treat)- Stage IIb, no surrounding tissue involement, no lymph node involvement. 1st resection immediately upon diagnosis. 28 chemo/radiation treatments followed by Folfox. Finished in August 2007. Blockage 1 yr later (October 2007) at resection site, 2nd resection October-2007. Stricture at resection site, 3rd section in December 2007 with temp ileostomy, laser removal of pre-cancerous lesions on vaginal wall and bladder repair. February 2008, ileostomy repair and March 2008, ileostomy reversal. Still not considered NED, last PET (March 2009) lite up at ostomy site which is believed to be a hernia so awaiting hernia surgery. Also lite up at Port site and underwent ultrasound and mammagram. Benign cyst found in left breast being monitored closely. Also, small lesions on lower right lobe of lung but too small to diagnose.

    Shreveport, Louisiana

    my history
    diagnosed in Jan 05 stage 3 colon cancer
    surgery to remove transvers colon, 3 out 17 nodes were cancer
    8 months of 5FU and leucovorin

    May 06 -7 liver mets, inoperable, 6 months to live.
    fourth surgeon said yes and had all of right lobe 40% of left and gall bladder removed
    8 months of xeloda

    Sept 08 lesion on liver
    Nov 08 another liver re-section
    currently on oxalyplatin and xeloda for 6 months.

    Live in Ontario, Canada and fight on!
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    snommintj said:

    March 5, 2008
    My name is John
    Boiling Springs SC
    diagnosed @ 34
    Stage 4 with multiple large mets

    Technically not diagnosed until the 10th of march 2008.
    Had colonoscopy 05mar08, Dr. had oncology surgeon there before I woke up. Sent for CT scan with contrast same day.
    CT scan results immediately showed a dozen large tumors in liver, lungs, colon, gall bladder. Dr.'s agreed without confirming with biopsy that I had end stage 4 colon cancer. Biopsy results came back on 10th and verified Dr.s diagnosis.

    Good news/Bad news-PET scan revealed no mets in lungs. Multiple mets in liver, 6 of which were bigger than 5 cm.
    Cancer was inoperable.

    Eventhough I had no symptoms, Dr.'s agreed to place me on best supportive care.

    March 17th new Dr.s!

    Had port put in.

    March 20th went for chemo, port didn't work. Interventional radiologist replaced port by 11:30 am, receiving chemo by 1:30 pm

    great response to folfox w avastin.

    Colectomy, liver resection, ileostomy, on 01Jul08. 13 hrs of surgery, left hospital in six days, easy recovery. Ileostomy reversal 08Aug08.

    Ileostomy site infection delayed chemo. Folfir w/avastin for three cycles, liver recurrence, switched backe to folfox w/avastin

    2nd liver resection 13Jan09. 2 hour surgery home in 4 days. Developed liver abcess. Septic shock 6 times. Drain and stint put in liver. Drain removed 02 April 09.

    26Mar09 Most recent PET and CT reveal no cancer in abdominal cavity.

    I still have thyroid cancer, which is a whole different story. I will begin dealing with that next week. It should be fairly easy to deal with considering the last year. Tumor has barely increased in size over the last year and is not related to the colon cancer. One of the reasons I was placed on best supportive care by the first Dr.'s is because I had two primary cancers at the same time. Though rare it does occasionally happen. My current Dr.s ignored the Thyroid cancer as did I until we beat down the colon cancer.

    So I'm claiming NED status, eventhough I still have this thyroid cancer. Soon I'll start posting on the Thyroid page and claim NED status there too.

    Another NED
    Hi there,

    Diagnosed Jan. 2007
    Stage 3 with 2 nodes out of 18 positive
    Had surgery to remove ascending colon & 6 months chemo
    Currently NED and loving it!

    Reside in Toronto

    Cheers, Lance
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 597 Member
    snommintj said:

    March 5, 2008
    My name is John
    Boiling Springs SC
    diagnosed @ 34
    Stage 4 with multiple large mets

    Technically not diagnosed until the 10th of march 2008.
    Had colonoscopy 05mar08, Dr. had oncology surgeon there before I woke up. Sent for CT scan with contrast same day.
    CT scan results immediately showed a dozen large tumors in liver, lungs, colon, gall bladder. Dr.'s agreed without confirming with biopsy that I had end stage 4 colon cancer. Biopsy results came back on 10th and verified Dr.s diagnosis.

    Good news/Bad news-PET scan revealed no mets in lungs. Multiple mets in liver, 6 of which were bigger than 5 cm.
    Cancer was inoperable.

    Eventhough I had no symptoms, Dr.'s agreed to place me on best supportive care.

    March 17th new Dr.s!

    Had port put in.

    March 20th went for chemo, port didn't work. Interventional radiologist replaced port by 11:30 am, receiving chemo by 1:30 pm

    great response to folfox w avastin.

    Colectomy, liver resection, ileostomy, on 01Jul08. 13 hrs of surgery, left hospital in six days, easy recovery. Ileostomy reversal 08Aug08.

    Ileostomy site infection delayed chemo. Folfir w/avastin for three cycles, liver recurrence, switched backe to folfox w/avastin

    2nd liver resection 13Jan09. 2 hour surgery home in 4 days. Developed liver abcess. Septic shock 6 times. Drain and stint put in liver. Drain removed 02 April 09.

    26Mar09 Most recent PET and CT reveal no cancer in abdominal cavity.

    I still have thyroid cancer, which is a whole different story. I will begin dealing with that next week. It should be fairly easy to deal with considering the last year. Tumor has barely increased in size over the last year and is not related to the colon cancer. One of the reasons I was placed on best supportive care by the first Dr.'s is because I had two primary cancers at the same time. Though rare it does occasionally happen. My current Dr.s ignored the Thyroid cancer as did I until we beat down the colon cancer.

    So I'm claiming NED status, eventhough I still have this thyroid cancer. Soon I'll start posting on the Thyroid page and claim NED status there too.

    Take Off Eh!!!!!
    Diagnosed: March 5,2002 at age 40
    Surgery: March 20,2002
    Diagnosis: Rectal Cancer stage 3c ~ 10 positive lymph nodes.
    Still " NED " and enjoying life.............

    Home: Riverview, New Brunswick, Canada
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 547 Member
    Stage 4 here dx 9/06. Liver
    Stage 4 here dx 9/06. Liver surgery, 2 lung surgeries, Folfox, I am now suffering emmmm... "recovering" at home from the second lung surgery. Over all things went OK. Surgery Monday and a tough first day... a horrible experience Tuesday with a couple collapsed lungs and real struggles. I actually had the Code "You are going to die" team come in to fix me up..(It actually looks more dramatic on TV and not from a patients viewpoint.) Of course then, because it’s a teaching hospital, all day people came in and poked and proded and bleed me when their class was out to add to their resume of experiences as a Stanford med student. Seriously, I kid around, but this time I was scared to death that morning... I wish I was smart and witty but all I could focus on was a poster made by the science dept right in front of me and just the good memories there saved me as much as the ventilators and drugs given. It truly is amazing how a little kindness shown can really matter. Right now I just hurt... lungs, breathing, back, side... but it will get better. I can not wait to get back to work.



    On the good news side, there was only one met that he could find by palpating the lung. He did have to do the open procedure which was OK with me. Next big question coming up the 30th is follow up chemo. I have faced this before and was told that with lung mets, there really isn't data out there and I still have a below 1 CEA and NED. I will ask more later about this.

    Thanks all

    Chip
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064
    spongebob said:

    NO!
    Your uncle is Mayor Joe?

    Darn Tootin'
    I know we've had this conversation before. At least I thought we had.....I am sure I told you this when we found out you were moving to Charleston. :-) I had just forgotten that's where you're stationed.

    My mother is from SC and most of my family lives down there. (we have a looooong history in that state from before the Revolutionary War. And don't even get me started on the War of Northern Aggression....) HA!

    so yeah y'all, that's my Uncle Joe.

    peace, emily
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064

    Stage 4 here dx 9/06. Liver
    Stage 4 here dx 9/06. Liver surgery, 2 lung surgeries, Folfox, I am now suffering emmmm... "recovering" at home from the second lung surgery. Over all things went OK. Surgery Monday and a tough first day... a horrible experience Tuesday with a couple collapsed lungs and real struggles. I actually had the Code "You are going to die" team come in to fix me up..(It actually looks more dramatic on TV and not from a patients viewpoint.) Of course then, because it’s a teaching hospital, all day people came in and poked and proded and bleed me when their class was out to add to their resume of experiences as a Stanford med student. Seriously, I kid around, but this time I was scared to death that morning... I wish I was smart and witty but all I could focus on was a poster made by the science dept right in front of me and just the good memories there saved me as much as the ventilators and drugs given. It truly is amazing how a little kindness shown can really matter. Right now I just hurt... lungs, breathing, back, side... but it will get better. I can not wait to get back to work.



    On the good news side, there was only one met that he could find by palpating the lung. He did have to do the open procedure which was OK with me. Next big question coming up the 30th is follow up chemo. I have faced this before and was told that with lung mets, there really isn't data out there and I still have a below 1 CEA and NED. I will ask more later about this.

    Thanks all

    Chip

    Whoa
    Wow Chip,

    prayers for a speedy recovery coming your way.....it sounds like you have been through hell this week so just keep on driving! :-)

    peace, emily
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    2bhealed said:

    Whoa
    Wow Chip,

    prayers for a speedy recovery coming your way.....it sounds like you have been through hell this week so just keep on driving! :-)

    peace, emily

    errrrr
    well errrrr we could go for a Timmie's eh" she's a good day here for it:):):)
    mags

    please forgive me forum members.....the above is Canada speak
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    maglets said:

    errrrr
    well errrrr we could go for a Timmie's eh" she's a good day here for it:):):)
    mags

    please forgive me forum members.....the above is Canada speak

    I love it
    I can even hear you saying it.

    Being a southern gal with the obvious accent I love my Canadian friends accents and I think I could probably translate the above!!
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    maglets said:

    errrrr
    well errrrr we could go for a Timmie's eh" she's a good day here for it:):):)
    mags

    please forgive me forum members.....the above is Canada speak

    TIMMMMMMMMMMIE'S!!! Count
    TIMMMMMMMMMMIE'S!!! Count me in, eh?? And let's roll up the rim to win!!! :)
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    scouty said:

    Are you on 5FU
    I used to live in DC so am very familiar with Ocean City. I'm guessing you are taking 5FU or Xeloda (I think that is the pill version of 5FU) and yes they do warn about skin irritation from sun exposure while on it. But they also warned me about digging in my gardens and I could pick up serious infections from the soil. That last one pissed me off big time so I ignored it and planted my veggie and flower gardens anyway (a few time with my 5FU fanny pack on in the sun) and never had any problems. I found it very important to do normal things every once in a while so I could forget I had cancer even if it was just for a few minutes.

    I will say it seemed I got red pretty quickly so I just lathered up more sunscreen and was careful not to be out in the sun for too long at a time. I went on an all day deep sea fishing trip and just stayed in the shade more than I usually would.

    Today I am not near the sun worshiper that I used to be but I can not stay inside. I believe in Vitamin D!!!

    Enjoy your trip and I hope I've answered your question. Give me your personal email on my email here and I'll get you that great boxer/baby video. It's an attachment. Anyone else that wants it can do the same. And you are so right, it is very boxeress with the pawing and the yawn (like that word; boxeress??).

    Video and Vit. D
    Scouty, I'd love to see the video! Laughter is good for what ails you!
    Speaking of Vitamin D, a new study shows Vit. D in the right amounts can cut your colon cancer risk / recurrence risk by 39%. Of course, we have to use common sense, but whatever helps!

    [email protected]

    Diane
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136
    kimby said:

    Roll Call
    DX 8/07
    stage IV, mets to liver and celiac nodes
    5 surgeries
    liver radiation
    continuous chemo w/progression (I've had it all)
    still in treatment

    I live in NW Ohio

    Kimby

    Hey, Kimby.
    Where in NW Ohio? If you don't mind me asking.
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487

    TIMMMMMMMMMMIE'S!!! Count
    TIMMMMMMMMMMIE'S!!! Count me in, eh?? And let's roll up the rim to win!!! :)

    Minnesota here....
    Woodbury Minnesota, just outside of Saint Paul. (born in Philly,lived in Florida for 16 years before coming here tho)

    Emergency surgery on my birthday (11/7/08), stage III (something or other), 2/17 nodes involved. Had 18 inches removed. Currently doing FOLFOX, just finished number 9 yesterday, 3 to go!

    Sherrie
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565
    2bhealed said:

    Darn Tootin'
    I know we've had this conversation before. At least I thought we had.....I am sure I told you this when we found out you were moving to Charleston. :-) I had just forgotten that's where you're stationed.

    My mother is from SC and most of my family lives down there. (we have a looooong history in that state from before the Revolutionary War. And don't even get me started on the War of Northern Aggression....) HA!

    so yeah y'all, that's my Uncle Joe.

    peace, emily

    SAT NEXT TO HIM ON A RECENT FLIGHT
    Sat by him on a recent flight to CA (it was the Charleston to Atlanta leg) - I guess I totally forgot about that chat - would have made for interesting small talk! I worked with him a bit when he was on the Pew Oceans Commission.

    Small world
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    jenben59 said:

    Hey, Kimby.
    Where in NW Ohio? If you don't mind me asking.

    NW Ohio
    I'm 10 miles from the Michigan border and 30 miles from the Indiana border outside a small town. Very rural and flat, but close to family and good people. Not pretty or fancy, but nice.

    Where do you live?

    Kimby