HIPEC treatment

Dee570
Dee570 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone has this treatment and if so how was it? Did you get real sick? How long were you in hospital?

My doctors want me to have it, but just the thought of it makes me sick.

Thank you,
Dee

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    I'm scheduled 05/18
    I was going to have it done back in July 2006 when I had surgery for a recurrence, but for a few reasons it wasn't done then. Now my CEA has been rising and nothing is showing on scans, so we are pretty sure it's peritoneal implants, so I spoke with Dr. Levine at Wake Forest and he's going to do the IPHC (another way of referring to the same procedure). From what I read, it's going to be a tough recovery, but it's my best chance of getting rid of what ails me! CanadaSue's husband has what they refer to as the Sugar Baker Procedure, which sounds like the same process only they do it multiple days in a row instead of one single washing for 90 minutes. Where are you thinking about having it done?
    mary
  • Dee570
    Dee570 Member Posts: 2
    msccolon said:

I'm scheduled 05/18
    I was going to have it done back in July 2006 when I had surgery for a recurrence, but for a few reasons it wasn't done then. Now my CEA has been rising and nothing is showing on scans, so we are pretty sure it's peritoneal implants, so I spoke with Dr. Levine at Wake Forest and he's going to do the IPHC (another way of referring to the same procedure). From what I read, it's going to be a tough recovery, but it's my best chance of getting rid of what ails me! CanadaSue's husband has what they refer to as the Sugar Baker Procedure, which sounds like the same process only they do it multiple days in a row instead of one single washing for 90 minutes. Where are you thinking about having it done?
    mary

HIPEC treatment
    If I have it done, it will be at the Hillman Cancer center in Pittsburgh,PA. The doctor didn't suger-coat any of it and I know it will be a rough time. I have had my 3rd recurrence this pass August. I think I rather have it done all at once instead of several days in a row.This is a tough decition to make :(
    Dee
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Dee570 said:

HIPEC treatment
    If I have it done, it will be at the Hillman Cancer center in Pittsburgh,PA. The doctor didn't suger-coat any of it and I know it will be a rough time. I have had my 3rd recurrence this pass August. I think I rather have it done all at once instead of several days in a row.This is a tough decition to make :(
    Dee

my doc didn't sugar coat it either
    and the pamphlet he sent home was fun to read as well! You know, we do what we have to do so when the day comes and we're sitting in judgement, we can be confident that we did everything we could to fight this beast!
    mary
  • pmppals
    pmppals Member Posts: 4
    HIPEC Treatment
    I, as well as hundreds of other members of the PMP Pals' Network, have rec'd the HIPEC treatment at hospitals in the US, including Hillman/Shadyside at UPMC, as well as in Europe, Australia, and Asia. You can read more about HIPEC under the "Treatments" page at www.pmppals.org and you can communicate directly, via email or telephone, with other men and women who have experienced and recuperated from the HIPEC Treatment. Best wishes for your good health!
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Dee570 said:

HIPEC treatment
    Dee

HILLMAN CANCER CENTER
    Hi Dee

Sorry to have to meet you here and to hear about your recurrence and you tough decision ahead.
    I have received all my treatments at Hillman. Who is your oncologist? Do you actually live in Pittsburgh or drive here from elsewhere. Hey -we might be neighbors.

You'll be in my thoughts
    DAwn