Just Diagnosed

heeler728
heeler728 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm still reeling. Last week I was diagnosed with BC. At this point we know there is lymph involvement so the have me scheduled for sugery on the 22nd with chemo to follow. I wish I could say more but right now my brain is on shut down.

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome to the club nobody wants to join. I know you have a perfectly terrible reason for being here, but you couldn't have found a more supportive group of people. This is a great place to post all your questions, concerns, and feelings. Feeling totally numb with shock after diagnosis is pretty normal. I was first diagnosed in 2002 yet I still remember nearly keeling over when the doctor called to tell me I needed to go in for tests and that I probably had breast cancer like it was yesterday. That doctor didn't believe in talking to patients face to face and didn't bother to see if I had anyone at home to support me after he gave me his good morning call. He's history now, but I still remember wondering if I would survive the year and figuring I probably would at least make it through the month.That was as optimistic as I could think at the time. Right after the shock came the tears. We had to buy the multi-box packages of Kleenix every shopping trip for months because I couldn't get through even a short phone call without a flood! Nowdays my phone calls are much cheerier. Time passing has helped, but the support from fellow survivors has made a difference too. These days if I feel overwhelmed, I get on the discussion boards and start asking questions on how to cope. It might take a day or so, but inevitably someone posts an idea they found worked when they had the same problem. I like the chat room too, when I can get on. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

C. Abbott
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Welcome, and sorry you had
    Welcome, and sorry you had to join us. Like cabbott said, you will find a great group of people. Right now you're overwhelmed. But when you settle down, post any questions or concerns and we will be more than happy to help out. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in June 2007. Had a mastectomy and went through 8 rounds of chemo and made it. And you will too. Everything is doable, just put it in your mind that you will get through it and we are here to offer our cyber support. Hugs, Lili
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Heeler
    Dearest sister.. I know that you must be numb and in shock over all that has taken place. It turns your world upside down. I promise you came to the right place. Me and the rest of our dear sisters in pink will hold your hand every step of the way. Cry, vent, get angry..you just let go of your emotions however you can.. we will be beside you to answer questions..listen to your worries and be your friend. Oh yeah..we still find much joy and laughter..and you will too. this is not the road any of us would have chosen. But it is what it is and we can find ourselves and our lives again.

Please post and let us know how you are doing. There are many prayers and good wishes coming your way. I am praying for you tonight dear girl.
    God Bless
    jackie
  • heeler728
    heeler728 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. You're right, I didn't want to join this club but now that I'm in it I've found friends. And if you have friends you can do anything. I am one who questions everything so yes I will be a pest with questions.Thanks to all.
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    heeler728 said:

Thanks
    Thanks to all. You're right, I didn't want to join this club but now that I'm in it I've found friends. And if you have friends you can do anything. I am one who questions everything so yes I will be a pest with questions.Thanks to all.

Hi Heeler we welcome
    Hi Heeler we welcome everyone even pest.(LOL) Glad you found us. If you think you have stupid questions ask away because we have plenty of stupid answers. Just kidding. You found the right place for help and answers. These sisters are fantastic.

Hugs
    Jadie
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    heeler728 said:

Thanks

Hi Heeler :)
    I wish you the best of luck. This is a great site for questions, concerns or just to voice your opinion. It is amazing sometimes the strength we find inside ourselves to fight this beast. I know I get amazed!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    heeler728 said:

Thanks

Good to Question Things
    Heeler, I'd like also to say hello and reassure you that questions are welcome. I think a questioning attitude is a good one, especially with cancer or any disease. Please keep in touch, and ask whatever/whenever you need to.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    I am so sorry heeler. I
    I am so sorry heeler. I will pray for you. Try to think positive and get support.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Heeler
    It's Ok for your brain to shut down for a while. A cancer diagnosis is a terrible shock for anyone. My brain shut down, too, at first. I spent 3 days and nights reading novels, not sleeping or eating. I just needed a distraction. I numbly went to all my myriad medical appointments, hardly feeling a thing. Things didn't really hit me until well after my surgery, right before chemo started. Everyone handles things differently, and it is OK. You will get through this. We are here to help every step of the way.

Mimi
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Heeler
    It's Ok for your brain to shut down for a while. A cancer diagnosis is a terrible shock for anyone. My brain shut down, too, at first. I spent 3 days and nights reading novels, not sleeping or eating. I just needed a distraction. I numbly went to all my myriad medical appointments, hardly feeling a thing. Things didn't really hit me until well after my surgery, right before chemo started. Everyone handles things differently, and it is OK. You will get through this. We are here to help every step of the way.

Mimi

My Dear Heeler
    So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and upcoming surgery. Just know that there are lots of wonderful posters on this board, all of which are willing to share their individual experiences with most anything you may have questions about. To spite what we as women have always been taught, sometimes you have to let go of the wheel and let someone else steer for a while. We are here whenever you need to let go, and here to get you back on track. The main thing is to stay focused, and always use the resources you have available to your advantage. This is a harrowing experience, but you will get through it, and will have victory on the other end. Hugs your way.

Judy
  • JoyD
    JoyD Member Posts: 81
    Have Faith
    Heeler728: Just like you, I was diagnosed last Jan 2009 and it was a shock to me. When the Dr told me about the BC, I was in denial and did not even cry. But when I started to talk/discuss it with my husband and relatives that is where it hits me - I was crying for about 3 days. The first thing that came into my mind was that I was going to "die". I discovered this site and started reading experiences of our sisters in pink. You could pick up a lot from their experiences and at the end you will also start sharing for those who are new to the site. I am sometimes depressed especially when I am by myself, but I try to be busy like walking 45 mins in the morning, reading the Bible, praying, joining the ACS support group 2x a month, volunteered with the nearest ACS office, talk to friends, go shopping, etc. Try to be busy and take it one step at a time. I am praying everyday for all of us. By the way, I had masectomy on the left side, chemo tomorrow since they found my cancer cells in my lymph nodes too.....so you are not alone in this. Thanks.

Joy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Heeler..be sure and keep us
    Heeler..be sure and keep us updated please. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
  • Kristin N
    I just read your posting
    I just read your posting again. How are you doing? You feel any better mentally?
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    my thoughts are with you
    Right now you're reeling, as you say, and that's normal, but believe me, you'll get through it. I cried constantly after first being diagnosed and thought I was going to die right then and there, but now I know that most women survive breast cancer and you will, too.

Keep me posted, and feel free to email me at each step of the process. The women on this board are wonderful!

Ohilly
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Sorry about your diagnosis.
    Sorry about your diagnosis. Glad you have found us here, we are here any time you need someone to listen or to ask questions. I was just wondering how your doctor can say your lymphnodes are involved BEFORE your surgery?
  • Kristin N
    I don't understand Heeler.
    I don't understand Heeler. How could your doctor know there is lymph node involvement?? They find that out with the surgery. Don't they??