Oh No!!!!!!! What did I do this time?????????

Options
tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I chained up the Alsatian and answered the door yesterday morning thinking it was the mail-lady (it's my birthday April 1st) BUT...It was the Jehovas.......Last time they called in was during my chemo and I'm ashamed to admit I was completely inebriated (Pissed out of my skull) at 10am. Anyway, the nice lady remembered me and invited me to one of their meetings.... well, you all know that I am not a believer and I told her so, she pressed on "We sing Songs"... I asked "Not those filthy Rugby songs?"..she fell about... Then she told me that I would LOVE it..I told her "the womens institute and Jam and Jarusalem Brigade didn't want me when I was in England". Heck I mentioned the "Brogue Brigade" and she still laughed, then I called her "Woman", Gave her a huge hug (yes she is a lovely lady) and sent her to her heated car. They are such nice people, I just don't feel I could fit in with their ideas. In any other circumstances I would be honoured to be her friend, but all this religion just gives me the creeps. Now I know that there are many amongst you who dissagree with me, and a few that don't. Each to their own Eh?

Goodnight, and may your God go with you

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    You are so funny!
    These moments of yours are perfect for a wacky English comedy. I love those. I have a more sinister story about the Witnesses, however. They used to come around our apartment when I was a kid. We lived in student housing because my dad was getting his master's degree, and the complex was mostly international students. So, they targeted us foreigners. Whenever they would knock on our door my mother would tell them that she was ironing. After a few times, they starting putting skull and crossbones stickers on our mailbox. What ****. Years later, a lady approached me in college with her bible. She showed me a picture of people sitting around with tigers and lions and said that all the animal kingdom would be united.

Sorry, your story brought back memories.
  • tasha_111
    Options
    mimivac said:

You are so funny!
    These moments of yours are perfect for a wacky English comedy. I love those. I have a more sinister story about the Witnesses, however. They used to come around our apartment when I was a kid. We lived in student housing because my dad was getting his master's degree, and the complex was mostly international students. So, they targeted us foreigners. Whenever they would knock on our door my mother would tell them that she was ironing. After a few times, they starting putting skull and crossbones stickers on our mailbox. What ****. Years later, a lady approached me in college with her bible. She showed me a picture of people sitting around with tigers and lions and said that all the animal kingdom would be united.

Sorry, your story brought back memories.

FriutBats
    Hey Mimi..........I like this lady, I wonder, Is there any use in telling her I want to be friends but I don't want the religious stuff? Is that all there is? I'm sorry you had the indoctrination and threat game going on. Nobody needs that stuff... Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • mimivac
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

FriutBats
    Hey Mimi..........I like this lady, I wonder, Is there any use in telling her I want to be friends but I don't want the religious stuff? Is that all there is? I'm sorry you had the indoctrination and threat game going on. Nobody needs that stuff... Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sure, why not?
    Why not be friends with her? I think that's great if she can separate the religious mission from the friendship. You would be able to tell right away. I don't what's wrong with me today, but I see the makings of a great screenplay here. You live in a wind-swept small town by the ocean in Ireland or Scotland somewhere. She comes to convert you. Instead you strike up an odd and sustaining friendship. I like the actress Brenda Blethyn as you. Now, who for the Jehovah's Witness?
  • mimivac
    Options
    mimivac said:

Sure, why not?
    Why not be friends with her? I think that's great if she can separate the religious mission from the friendship. You would be able to tell right away. I don't what's wrong with me today, but I see the makings of a great screenplay here. You live in a wind-swept small town by the ocean in Ireland or Scotland somewhere. She comes to convert you. Instead you strike up an odd and sustaining friendship. I like the actress Brenda Blethyn as you. Now, who for the Jehovah's Witness?

Oh, I got it!
    Maggie Smith as the Jehovah Witness. Yes, I have gone crazy.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    They did the people going
    They did the people going around to convert on Black's Books. It is so funny. The two guys become friends with Black (the book shop owner's name) and they were having discussion and the two guys ended up asking questions of Black because he knew more. Then they return to have another discussion and Manny (another regular who ends up working at the book shop) answers the door. It freaks them out because he is wearing a white long robe and has long hair and a beard.

We had a Jehovahs living next door at one house we lived at. Very nice couple. They didn't try to convert us at all. Their church was in the neighborhood so we had someone knocking regularly. One time I opened the door and was attempting to hold back a Husky (very friendly but just wanted a kiss) and he didn't know the dog was friendly and said, "I see you are busy, I'll just leave some literature." and he ran off.

I don't attend church either but I am spiritual. I have my own beliefs.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

They did the people going
    They did the people going around to convert on Black's Books. It is so funny. The two guys become friends with Black (the book shop owner's name) and they were having discussion and the two guys ended up asking questions of Black because he knew more. Then they return to have another discussion and Manny (another regular who ends up working at the book shop) answers the door. It freaks them out because he is wearing a white long robe and has long hair and a beard.

We had a Jehovahs living next door at one house we lived at. Very nice couple. They didn't try to convert us at all. Their church was in the neighborhood so we had someone knocking regularly. One time I opened the door and was attempting to hold back a Husky (very friendly but just wanted a kiss) and he didn't know the dog was friendly and said, "I see you are busy, I'll just leave some literature." and he ran off.

I don't attend church either but I am spiritual. I have my own beliefs.

How refreshing to hear these
    How refreshing to hear these stories. Makes me think of a story my Dad always told. While he was attending college at the University of Texas, he was required to list a religion on his student application. Being a professed "non-believer", he chose to leave this blank. The administration called him out of class several times to get him to declare a religion, so finally he told them he was Buddist...thinking that in Austin Texas this was clearly not a common religion, and they would leave him alone. One dark, rainy, dreary day, he was studying in his room, and there was a knock at the door. There stood a Buddish Monk, ready to welcome him into their community. I think this taught him a life-long lesson....don't tell people anything you can't back up later.

I think religion in something between you and your God...no matter what your beliefs. Thanks for sharing these stories.

Judy
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Jehovah's Witnesses.....
    You may or not believe this, considering that you kinda sorta know me now~ but I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 23 YEARS! I spent 16 of them volunteering 1000 a year in the door to door work. My former husband is still one of Jehovah's Witnesses, an elder in one of the local Southern California congregations.

I am a pretty good avenue for info about JW's, as you might well imagine...so, if you want to know something, ask me! I am actually not even very biased on the subject; I will answer your queries honestly and with hopefully with grace and dignity. (no, that isn't a law firm!)

For the record, JW's are almost never thrown or frightened by the things homeowners do, including naked ppl answering the door, signs of the cross, cursing, etc etc. More than likely, they are cracking up hysterically when they get back in their cars. I always did!

So....fire away!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • tasha_111
    Options
    chenheart said:

Jehovah's Witnesses.....
    You may or not believe this, considering that you kinda sorta know me now~ but I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 23 YEARS! I spent 16 of them volunteering 1000 a year in the door to door work. My former husband is still one of Jehovah's Witnesses, an elder in one of the local Southern California congregations.

I am a pretty good avenue for info about JW's, as you might well imagine...so, if you want to know something, ask me! I am actually not even very biased on the subject; I will answer your queries honestly and with hopefully with grace and dignity. (no, that isn't a law firm!)

For the record, JW's are almost never thrown or frightened by the things homeowners do, including naked ppl answering the door, signs of the cross, cursing, etc etc. More than likely, they are cracking up hysterically when they get back in their cars. I always did!

So....fire away!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Oh Claudia..
    I'm pretty ignorant of organised religion altogether. I think I must be on a par with Marcia, I have my faith, it just doesn't need a designated building or group label. I was Christened Church of England but never attended until I was 13, I then discovered Bell-Ringing (Campanology) and had years of great fun with it, I still ring whenever I go back to England and thoroughly enjoy it, BUT us bellringers are notorious sinners and very seldom, very few attend the services. One of the churches I used to visit had their ringing practice on a thursday night 7-9pm. anyway the ringers there were marginally more sinful than the norm and they all bogged off to the pub over the road every practice night for half an hour before resuming their ringing....just as well, during one of the soirees to the pub, the church collapsed!
    Anyway, getting back to my ignorance: I always listen to other peoples side and ask a few questions (OK> I only invited the Mormons in because they were drop-dead gorgeous young men with husky American accents) Shallow or what?
    Mimi....Maggie Smith or Kathy Bates...Great imagination there! LOL
  • mimivac
    Options
    chenheart said:

Jehovah's Witnesses.....

So....fire away!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Wow!
    Claudia, I'm really surprised! I can't picture it at all! To tell you the truth, I have had very bad experiences with Christianity in general. I've been targeted more than once as a non-Christian and "foreigner." But, I am absolutely fascinated by religion, perhaps because I've felt myself to be an outsider all my life. I think individual relgious faith and expression (especially artistic expression) can be beautiful. But I'm extremely turned off by most organized religion right now.
  • chenheart
    Options
    mimivac said:

Wow!
    Claudia, I'm really surprised! I can't picture it at all! To tell you the truth, I have had very bad experiences with Christianity in general. I've been targeted more than once as a non-Christian and "foreigner." But, I am absolutely fascinated by religion, perhaps because I've felt myself to be an outsider all my life. I think individual relgious faith and expression (especially artistic expression) can be beautiful. But I'm extremely turned off by most organized religion right now.

Spirituality.....
    For the record, the operative word of course, is WAS...I WAS one of JW's for a long time. I no longer am, having been disfellowshiped ( JW terms for ex-communication) for about 8 years now. It has definately colored my view of organized religion as well~ the witnesses practice shunning, and I was isolated, lonely and afraid for a long time. There are no doubt myriad psycho-social reasons as to why I stayed so long, which I'm sure a team of shrinks would love to investigate for as long as I have good insurance!

I also consider myself a spiritual person, and express it in ways which make me feel connected to something/someone other than myself! I am sometimes taken aback that I went from such a boxed in strict life to living with a Native American whos belief system is so unlike anything I have ever practiced~ it took me a while, but now I love the Native ceremonies and their connection with the earth. I remember telling a Tribal Elder that I appreciated being with them, even though I know I am not of them. She corrected me by saying that I am indeed of them, because unless we are united in heart and spirit, there can never be a healing.

Oh...as for you being an outsider? What Karma was involved in making you not just an integral part, but a loved, and most welcomed member of a CANCER discussion board?? Sheesh girl~ we can BOTH keep the shrinks busy! HAHAHAHA!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mimivac
    Options
    chenheart said:

Spirituality.....
    For the record, the operative word of course, is WAS...I WAS one of JW's for a long time. I no longer am, having been disfellowshiped ( JW terms for ex-communication) for about 8 years now. It has definately colored my view of organized religion as well~ the witnesses practice shunning, and I was isolated, lonely and afraid for a long time. There are no doubt myriad psycho-social reasons as to why I stayed so long, which I'm sure a team of shrinks would love to investigate for as long as I have good insurance!

I also consider myself a spiritual person, and express it in ways which make me feel connected to something/someone other than myself! I am sometimes taken aback that I went from such a boxed in strict life to living with a Native American whos belief system is so unlike anything I have ever practiced~ it took me a while, but now I love the Native ceremonies and their connection with the earth. I remember telling a Tribal Elder that I appreciated being with them, even though I know I am not of them. She corrected me by saying that I am indeed of them, because unless we are united in heart and spirit, there can never be a healing.

Oh...as for you being an outsider? What Karma was involved in making you not just an integral part, but a loved, and most welcomed member of a CANCER discussion board?? Sheesh girl~ we can BOTH keep the shrinks busy! HAHAHAHA!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Man, when you look at it that way...
    We need a team of shrinks, to be sure. The ex-communicated Jehovah Witness now paricipating in Native American ceremonies. The outsider who found acceptance in a cancer discussion board. Hahaha. Oh, the Native American belief system (I know there is more than one) is very, very interesting to me as well. I love the inclusive, loving attitude of the tribal elder. I think being part of something like that can be very healing. I plan to try to be more spiritual now, too. I think it can bring a kind of peace I am looking for.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    mimivac said:

Man, when you look at it that way...
    We need a team of shrinks, to be sure. The ex-communicated Jehovah Witness now paricipating in Native American ceremonies. The outsider who found acceptance in a cancer discussion board. Hahaha. Oh, the Native American belief system (I know there is more than one) is very, very interesting to me as well. I love the inclusive, loving attitude of the tribal elder. I think being part of something like that can be very healing. I plan to try to be more spiritual now, too. I think it can bring a kind of peace I am looking for.

Sorry you were treated so
    Sorry you were treated so badly, you have to remember there are good and bad in all groups. Nothing is black and white. I don't know all there is about Native American beliefs but I think I believe more along that line from what I do know.
  • chenheart
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Sorry you were treated so
    Sorry you were treated so badly, you have to remember there are good and bad in all groups. Nothing is black and white. I don't know all there is about Native American beliefs but I think I believe more along that line from what I do know.

And the beat goes on
    For the record, I wasn't actually treated badly, nor was I unaware that this would be my "punishment". In a nutshell, I looked at being one of JW's rather like a job description, and I knew just what the requirements were before, and of course during the time I was a member. The witnesses didn't change the job requirements, I stopped abiding by them! It was I who changed, and they who remained constant. They are pretty much the original "tough love" advocates; the thought being that if I missed them, the teachings, the fellowship, etc etc, I would go back to them. Many do~ I didn't. The lonliness, etc was due to the fact that these ppl were my only circle of friends who now shunned me, I also got separated/divorced from my husband of 27 years, and moved 100 miles away where I knew virtually no one. But...within a year I met my sweet Reggie, got BC (oh well!) and now I am 6 years out of treatment and still with my sweetie!

And 2 things are a certainty: I am not very thin-skinned! Going door to door for that many years coupled with doing battle with the BC Beast has made me almost unafraid of anything! Except for elevators, but that's a story for another day! LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mimivac
    Options
    chenheart said:

And the beat goes on
    For the record, I wasn't actually treated badly, nor was I unaware that this would be my "punishment". In a nutshell, I looked at being one of JW's rather like a job description, and I knew just what the requirements were before, and of course during the time I was a member. The witnesses didn't change the job requirements, I stopped abiding by them! It was I who changed, and they who remained constant. They are pretty much the original "tough love" advocates; the thought being that if I missed them, the teachings, the fellowship, etc etc, I would go back to them. Many do~ I didn't. The lonliness, etc was due to the fact that these ppl were my only circle of friends who now shunned me, I also got separated/divorced from my husband of 27 years, and moved 100 miles away where I knew virtually no one. But...within a year I met my sweet Reggie, got BC (oh well!) and now I am 6 years out of treatment and still with my sweetie!

And 2 things are a certainty: I am not very thin-skinned! Going door to door for that many years coupled with doing battle with the BC Beast has made me almost unafraid of anything! Except for elevators, but that's a story for another day! LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia

What an interesting life
    What an interesting life you've had. I can't imagine that you would be afraid of anything after your experiences. That is one thing at least that bc can teach us -- to be fearless.
  • chenheart
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

FriutBats

Why can't we be friends???
    Tasha~ as nice as she is, and I believe 100% that she is..after all I'm nice too, aren't I????? She will NOT be your friend! She doesn't have a nefarious nature, nor a "bad" motive, but , as one of JW's her mindset is this: In order to be one of her friends, you will have to join her~ she will not join you. It is the sole purpose of JW's to convert you. JW's spend time volunteering in the door to door work for that purpose alone. She may think you are adorable and sweet, and she may really like you and enjoy chatting with you when you open your door to her. She is hopeful that if you have a great rapport, you will eventually agree to studying the Bible with her, and attending meetings with the end result you being a baptised witness. If, in a reasonable amount of time, you have NOT made this decision, she will stop coming over, and the invitations will be irregular at best. It is not encouraged that witnesses socialize with non-witnesses. So yeah, basically, to answer your question, that is "all there is". She will visit you as long as you are receptive, but just know that she is hopeful that something she is saying is interesting you in learning more about the religion.

So it is....
    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • redriverartist
    redriverartist Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Hi, Tasha -
    I doubt seriously that you hurt anyone's feelings. And, I agree with you - there is a huge difference between organized religion and Christianity. Being a plain old Christian is nothing to be ashamed of - in fact, you should be very proud of that fact.

God Bless, Teresa