Scan and Radiologist Anxiety

CherylHutch
CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, I guess I'm into countdown mode. On Friday, I go for my lung CAT scan. This is a twofold scan. It is being done at the hospital I had my Lung RFA done as the 8 week followup scan after my RFA procedure and at the same time I will be having the followup appt. with the radiologist who did the lung ablation.

I really don't have any doubt that the lung ablation is healing just fine. I have not had any problems, or complications or even anything that indicates a procedure was done with my lung. The whole procedure went so smoothly and from the moment I awoke from the anesthetic, I was back to my normal self. No sign of breathing problems, no lung congestion.. nada. So I really do think this appt. is more a formality than anything else and the chance for the radiologist to check with the CAT scan that the scar tissue is healing as expected.

What I'm somewhat nervous about is the remaining nodules and whether they have grown or new ones have shown up since the CAT scan in January. I'm sending positive energy to the lung area that the nodules have not grown and there is no sign of new growth. So, if for the next 2 days you all can just take a moment here and there and send positive energy/thoughts that the nodules are dormant or shrinking on their own, I would appreciate it.

Now, I really must go to bed and get some beauty zzzzz's :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

Comments

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Yes!
    Sending positive vibes/best wishes/prayers your way!

Love,
    Tara
    (a fellow lung-met gal -- but currently none -- yea -- I'm sending that vision your way!)
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Positive thoughts!
    Cheryl,

Positive thoughts from NJ!!!

Amy
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    Scan Anxiety
    I'm new here but I'm still sending you positive vibes and energy. I know what it's like waiting for scan results,just like everyone else here. It's the waiting thats the worst!I'll be thinking of you.

Wendy
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Many hugs from here!
    Cheryl,

Yes, waiting sucks, but we are here and gearing up positive thoughts! Vicki
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    VickiCO said:

Many hugs from here!
    Cheryl,

Yes, waiting sucks, but we are here and gearing up positive thoughts! Vicki

Yes Maam.........
    The very best to you in your scans.....God Bless ya hun.....hugs, Buzz
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    While you wait....
    I hope you won't be offended if I pray for you to get only great news.

Big Hugs!
    Diane
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    Lisa
    I can understand you're wanting to hear the letters NED! I thought I would be able to say that also. I had my first pet/ct scan in Feb 2008 right after I started chemo (Folfox/oxi) and thry detected some nodes near my left kidney, although my colon, liver, and kidneys were clear. My onc presented the results to a surgeon to see if I should have a biopsy. but he thought it was to dangerous because of where it was. They had a wait and see attitude since I was first starting chemo. When I took my second scan 2 months after I finished my chemo, the nodes were no longer detected, which was great news for me. Now 2 wks ago I took another pet/ct scan and guess what they saw again? Thats right the nodes are back, which was so discouraging for me. I didn't even think about them when I took my scan because I didn't think they would be back. Once again my onc presented this to the surgeon to see if we can do a biopsy, because were not even sure if it's definately cancer. It's still too dangerous, so it can't be treated since we don't know what it is. The only thing to do is wait and see, which I HATE!! I now have to wait 3 months and I'll have a cat scan with contrast to see if anything changed. If it gets bigger or more grow than I might be able to have it biopsied to make sure of what it is. If it is cancer I will most likely be on Xeloda. If nothing changes then we wait another 3 months and scan again. This waiting and not knowing what it is or if it's going to spread into more nodes,my liver or kidneys is a horrible waiting game! But there's nothing more I can really do and being alive is still a wonderful thing! Take care, I'll be thinking of you.
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Buzzard said:

Yes Maam.........
    The very best to you in your scans.....God Bless ya hun.....hugs, Buzz

Sending Positive Vibes
    Am hoping for the very best on your scans; somehow I think it will be
    ok but I know it is tough living from scan to scan.....have some quality
    time with little Bridget....I know when I hug my Kelsie and play with her...
    my spirit lightens and a sense of calm settles over me.....

Hugs,
    Barbara
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    G O O D - E N E R G Y coming at 'cha
    Hi Cheryl,
    I am sending truckloads of good healing energy your way. I think you will be just fine but I understand how you feel with the anxiety and all. I'm sure you know the routine, try to keep yourself busy, that seems to help the most.

I had a RFA done once and it was great, a walk in the park. I could not believe how simple the procedure was and there was basically no recovery time.

You're in my thoughts
    {{{hugs}}}
    -phil
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    best wishes
    My dearest girl: I am sending all best wishes, hopes and hugs for a positive outcome on Friday. We have the time difference so you will be a little later but we will be waiting to hear your news.

All positive energy flowing your way

Canuuckkisses

~Mags~
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    healing energy!
    (((your scans will be clear))) :) Let us know as soon as you find out anything!
    mary
  • Glv49
    Glv49 Member Posts: 206 Member
    You will be in my thoughts
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and all good vibes coming your way.

Gail
  • dianetavegia

Lisa
    I can understand you're wanting to hear the letters NED! I thought I would be able to say that also. I had my first pet/ct scan in Feb 2008 right after I started chemo (Folfox/oxi) and thry detected some nodes near my left kidney, although my colon, liver, and kidneys were clear. My onc presented the results to a surgeon to see if I should have a biopsy. but he thought it was to dangerous because of where it was. They had a wait and see attitude since I was first starting chemo. When I took my second scan 2 months after I finished my chemo, the nodes were no longer detected, which was great news for me. Now 2 wks ago I took another pet/ct scan and guess what they saw again? Thats right the nodes are back, which was so discouraging for me. I didn't even think about them when I took my scan because I didn't think they would be back. Once again my onc presented this to the surgeon to see if we can do a biopsy, because were not even sure if it's definately cancer. It's still too dangerous, so it can't be treated since we don't know what it is. The only thing to do is wait and see, which I HATE!! I now have to wait 3 months and I'll have a cat scan with contrast to see if anything changed. If it gets bigger or more grow than I might be able to have it biopsied to make sure of what it is. If it is cancer I will most likely be on Xeloda. If nothing changes then we wait another 3 months and scan again. This waiting and not knowing what it is or if it's going to spread into more nodes,my liver or kidneys is a horrible waiting game! But there's nothing more I can really do and being alive is still a wonderful thing! Take care, I'll be thinking of you.

Question for shoppergal
    Did you NOT have scans before surgery for colon cancer?

I'll remember you in prayer, too.

Diane
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Thanks everyone!
    What a treat to sign on tonight and find so many supportive posts! I managed to keep myself very busy today. Bridget and I went to the theatre office and it just so happens we are really busy right now. My friend, Jill, and I were working away and the next thing we knew, it was 7pm!! LOL! Ok, so the plan was that we would leave the office around 4:30pm or so... but we both were being very productive ;)

Anywho... tomorrow morning I'll have an easy morning... I may even treat myself to breakfast out. But, knowing me, but the time the morning rolls around, I'll be too lazy to get ready early and get out for breakfast... so I'll probably just have one here and putter around on the computer ;)

I'll be leaving my apartment around 1pm... then spending the afternoon at the hospital (well, first I have to get there and this particular hospital is about an hour away). Once I am through at the hospital, I'm meeting a friend and the two of us are going to do dinner and a movie night... looks like we will be seeing the new Julia Roberts "Duplicity" thriller ;)

Soooo, I won't be getting home until probably around 11pm... but assuming I'm not exhausted, I will check in here no matter how late it is ;)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member

Thanks everyone!
    What a treat to sign on tonight and find so many supportive posts! I managed to keep myself very busy today. Bridget and I went to the theatre office and it just so happens we are really busy right now. My friend, Jill, and I were working away and the next thing we knew, it was 7pm!! LOL! Ok, so the plan was that we would leave the office around 4:30pm or so... but we both were being very productive ;)

Anywho... tomorrow morning I'll have an easy morning... I may even treat myself to breakfast out. But, knowing me, but the time the morning rolls around, I'll be too lazy to get ready early and get out for breakfast... so I'll probably just have one here and putter around on the computer ;)

I'll be leaving my apartment around 1pm... then spending the afternoon at the hospital (well, first I have to get there and this particular hospital is about an hour away). Once I am through at the hospital, I'm meeting a friend and the two of us are going to do dinner and a movie night... looks like we will be seeing the new Julia Roberts "Duplicity" thriller ;)

Soooo, I won't be getting home until probably around 11pm... but assuming I'm not exhausted, I will check in here no matter how late it is ;)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

you betcha!
    Cheryl,

I will definitely be sending energy your way in the form of a prayer that you will not be too anxious awaiting your Dr. appt and getting your results, and that your results will be good. I, obviously, can very well relate to that anxiety, having just experienced this!

I know you will let us know how it goes, but take your time if you need it (even though you're normally always so quick to post!)

You take care and I'll be awaiting your next post.

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    praying
    Cheryl,
    I'm praying the nodules are dormant or shrinking. I pray that you have some peace during this difficult waiting period.
    Hugs to you.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member

Lisa

Shoppergal
    Hi Shoppergal,

I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with the lousy "wait and see" game that is definitely no fun. I'm curious that you mentioned that you had your first pet/ct scan after you started chemo. Did you have just a regular CT or any kind of scan at all right after diagnosis before your surgery, or no scan at all then? It's considered standard practice and routine, even if nothing is suspected to have spread, to do a CT scan right away to either determine yes or no if anything has spread or if there's anything suspicious anywhere else in the body. I believe it would be considered negligent if they really didn't do any kind of scan on you until after you had surgery and started chemo. If that's the case, I guess it's too late to do anything about now, but I'd question your doctor about it and maybe even consider a different oncologist if that's how he/she practices. I don't want to sound too overreactive, but it really was a huge oversight if they didn't scan you prior to surgery. I had my CT scan within two weeks of first being diagnosed (which we thought I was stage 2 & no lymph nodes were found on their ultrasound sigmoidoscopy, so they didn't suspect anything had spread- it was considered "just routine". All doctors were very surprised to discover on the CT that it had, indeed, spread to my liver and lungs. Because no lymph nodes showed up initially on the scope sigmoidoscopy, they would have not known at all it was in the liver and lungs if they hadn't chosen to do the CT scan that quickly. I found out that colon and rectal cancer can sometimes spread directly through the bloodstream, bypassing the lymph nodes. It's definitely more rare, but can happen, and did happen in my case.

I will be thinking of you and including you in my prayers for the anxiety to lessen and for things to stay small or even go away.

Take care-
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Catch!
    Good energy coming your way.
    Keep us posted Cheryl
    -p
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    PhillieG said:

Catch!
    Good energy coming your way.
    Keep us posted Cheryl
    -p

Me too
    Hey Cheryl,

I too am sending the most positive of vibes to you for a good scan. We are all thinking of you.

Cheers,
    Lance
  • dianetavegia

Thanks everyone!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Sounds like a fun day after the doctor...
    I've remembered you in prayer and can't wait to hear good news! Have a wonderful day!

Diane