Losing hair

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am losing some of my hair on my head but why is it the hair that is covered with clothes the first to go--yes that hair plus arm and leg hair. Maybe the only reason why my hair hasn't fallen out more is from the gel/wax I put in my hair. I have also started to lose my eyebrows and eye lashes already.

I had my first chemo treatment on 3/10 and will have my second one out of 62 treatments on 3/24. My head already feels like creepy crawlies on it so I the time is soon. When can I expect my hair on my head to follow all other hairs?

Margo

Comments

• celinelvr
    celinelvr Member Posts: 30
    losing hair
    I heard it takes about 2 weeks to lose the hair on your head. If you are already losing that hair - it should be within the two weeks, or maybe a little more. I lost my hair by the brushfulls for 6 days before I started to lose it faster. Thats when I decided just to shave my head. You will feel YOU are in control, and not the cancer. I lost the hair on my head first before I noticed other places... One thing you learn - everyone is different.
    ~ Milly
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    celinelvr said:

losing hair
    I heard it takes about 2 weeks to lose the hair on your head. If you are already losing that hair - it should be within the two weeks, or maybe a little more. I lost my hair by the brushfulls for 6 days before I started to lose it faster. Thats when I decided just to shave my head. You will feel YOU are in control, and not the cancer. I lost the hair on my head first before I noticed other places... One thing you learn - everyone is different.
    ~ Milly

eyelashes?
    I think losing my eyelashes will be worse than anything else. You can tell by my picture, I have really short hair, and I hate plucking my eyebrows, but I feel naked without mascara. I'm afraid that alone will make me look really, really sick. Can I do false eyelashes?

(Cart before the horse--I don't even know if I'm going to have chemo. First appt with medical oncologist on Thursday.)

Lisa
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Ltalcott said:

eyelashes?
    I think losing my eyelashes will be worse than anything else. You can tell by my picture, I have really short hair, and I hate plucking my eyebrows, but I feel naked without mascara. I'm afraid that alone will make me look really, really sick. Can I do false eyelashes?

(Cart before the horse--I don't even know if I'm going to have chemo. First appt with medical oncologist on Thursday.)

Lisa

Hair today gone tomorrow
    For the record, I penciled in brows and wore false eyelashes...so yes, you can!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hair loss schedule
    You are right on schedule...the "creepy crawlies" are a good indicator of impending hairloss. Oftentimes it is more than crawlies~ the scalp actually aches as if a rubber band had been left in too long and too tightly! As soon as you shave your head ( sorry~ this is the route we take) your head will stop aching. The hair loss is a result of the chemotherapy. It is an internal reaction, not an external one, so TLC won't stave it off. The reason we shave our heads is because hair will start to fall out everywhere! It is bad enough on our pillows and in the shower, but when it starts flying around the kitchen and getting in our family's food, well enough already! It is truly one of the most difficult things we as women go through, but you will see that we get our hair back!!!

Glad you posted~ you are in good company!

Hugs,
    Claudia