happy about wig

ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So: my hair did not grow back properly because I have underlying female pattern baldness. I am realizing this is not the end of the world, and want to share my good news with you: I am going around to different wig/hairpiece shops before I make my decision, but I am going to get a really, expensive nice wig or hairpiece. The one I wore during chemo was synthetic and cost $135, but this is for the rest of my life. I went to one shop today in the Orthodox Jewish community in Chicago because I figured they would know the most about wigs. The lady was so nice to me and the wig I tried on was beautiful, European human hair. You honestly could not tell it was a wig and it had a silk backing and was really light. It was completely different than wearing my wig during chemo.

Has anyone else invested in a really top quality wig?

Anyway, I will keep you informed.

Ohilly

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Wigs
    Ok, I'll play! Why would Orthodox Jewish Communities have the upper hand about wigs? Given a choice, my brain went immdiately to the Black Women I know ( and those I don't) who seem to always have a much better body image than I do~ ever! The ones I know seem to have the market cornered on wigs, weaves, you name it! Monday its short, Thursday its long, and the colors~ OMG...outrageous and stylin!!! Ditto hats! And I have 3 words to prove this point: Aretha Franklin/Inauguration! LOL

I am truly glad you seem more settled with what is and what you can do about it! HOORAY~ and great luck in finding just your style! Sooo happy for you, ohilly!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    chenheart said:

Wigs
    Ok, I'll play! Why would Orthodox Jewish Communities have the upper hand about wigs? Given a choice, my brain went immdiately to the Black Women I know ( and those I don't) who seem to always have a much better body image than I do~ ever! The ones I know seem to have the market cornered on wigs, weaves, you name it! Monday its short, Thursday its long, and the colors~ OMG...outrageous and stylin!!! Ditto hats! And I have 3 words to prove this point: Aretha Franklin/Inauguration! LOL

I am truly glad you seem more settled with what is and what you can do about it! HOORAY~ and great luck in finding just your style! Sooo happy for you, ohilly!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Chasidic Jewish women cover
    Chasidic Jewish women cover their hair. They often wear wigs over their own hair. I am from this community even though I don't practice this (or much else these days) my two married daughters both wear human hair wigs. The women in this community take their wigs very seriously and indeed, even grammas have stylin hanks. Great place to go, Ohilly!
    My daughter got married when I was just a couple weeks out of chemo and bald. So I wore my wig. So did all the other women. It was actually very nice, especially since I would not normally have worn a wig and would have stood out! It would have been like, "that's the mother of the bride over there...you know, the one with the ugly hair..."
    glad things are working out, Ohilly.
    love, Joyce
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    That's wonderful you found a
    That's wonderful you found a plan you will be happy with. You sound actually excited and that's even better. I'm very happy for you.
    love
    jan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

Chasidic Jewish women cover
    Chasidic Jewish women cover their hair. They often wear wigs over their own hair. I am from this community even though I don't practice this (or much else these days) my two married daughters both wear human hair wigs. The women in this community take their wigs very seriously and indeed, even grammas have stylin hanks. Great place to go, Ohilly!
    My daughter got married when I was just a couple weeks out of chemo and bald. So I wore my wig. So did all the other women. It was actually very nice, especially since I would not normally have worn a wig and would have stood out! It would have been like, "that's the mother of the bride over there...you know, the one with the ugly hair..."
    glad things are working out, Ohilly.
    love, Joyce

Hair, Hair!
    Thank you, Joyce! I knew there had to be a REAL reason that wasn't obvious to those of us on the fringe, as it were! With that in mind! ohilly, I am sure you will find what you need ! YAY!!!!

hugs,
    Claudia
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    HAPPY TO HEAR THIS
    Ohilly, it is so good to hear a somewhat cheery Ohilly! I must admit I am much like Chen and was wondering the same questions so to Joyce, thank you for the insight I have learned something new today.

Ohilly I hope you find exactly what you are looking for, oh and when you do shoot a photo of your stylish self!

RE