radiation time

Options
neda
neda Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi to every body. Today I had my 3th radiation. But it takes only 3 minutes. I was wondering if it is usual? I have to add that my tumor was stage 1 invasive DCIS but the size of tumor was very smal about 0.17 so do you have any idea? i thought it will take about 15 to 20 minutes but I was surprize to see it only took 3 minutes!

Have a peacefull weekend to every body,

Neda.

Comments

• bahallock
    bahallock Member Posts: 12
    Options
    radiation time
    It takes longer to get undressed and dressed again than for the treatment. It's normal. Hang in there. Glad they found your tumor early. Hugs to you. B
  • neda
    Options
    bahallock said:

radiation time
    It takes longer to get undressed and dressed again than for the treatment. It's normal. Hang in there. Glad they found your tumor early. Hugs to you. B

thank you
    Hi, did you you ever had radiation? if yes, how long your's took?

thanks.
  • sldp
    sldp Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Radiation
    Neda,
    I just completed day 10 of my rads. I am only on the table for 3 minutes as well. I teach school, then drive 45 miles to the center for treatments. I haven't noticed any side effects so far, other than a little skin sensitivity.
    Hope your treatments go well and you have a healthy recovery.
    Sandy
  • neda
    Options
    sldp said:

Radiation
    Neda,
    I just completed day 10 of my rads. I am only on the table for 3 minutes as well. I teach school, then drive 45 miles to the center for treatments. I haven't noticed any side effects so far, other than a little skin sensitivity.
    Hope your treatments go well and you have a healthy recovery.
    Sandy

an important question
    I was wondering why my DR (radialogist) does is not there every day ? can we be secure by very young traqpists?
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    rads

I have had 14 treatments out of 33. Table time is closer to 10 minutes for me but the actual treatment is 3 "shots" of radiation about 10 seconds each. Luckily I live about 7 minutes away from the treatment office. And I trust the therapists, they train for this and I believe that they are certified but I haven't asked. I'm little tired and the right breast is definitely redder than the very pale left one.

Maureen
  • sldp
    sldp Member Posts: 5
    Options
    neda said:

an important question
    I was wondering why my DR (radialogist) does is not there every day ? can we be secure by very young traqpists?

radiation
    Neda,
    You will most likely see your radiation oncologist (Dr.) once a week. I too am surprised how young the radiation techs are, but think of it this way... they have the most current training. During your next treatment, watch how carefully they check your numbers and markings before your treatment begins. I'm confident they know what they are doing. Please continue your treatments... but ask questions if you are unsure of something. I've ask questions about the pulling I felt where my incision is (which the Dr. told me was the scar tissue stretching -- a good thing according to him). I've asked about the "panels" the tech puts into the machine. They have always been happy to explain. To me, the techs make the experience more enjoyable.
    Wishing you well.
    Sandy
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Yes, radiation takes only a
    Yes, radiation takes only a few minutes. We spend more time in travel and dressing. I also had IDC stage 1, 1 cm and had 25 radiation treatments. Once the Radiation Techs got me aligned, I think it was automated according to what the Oncology Radiologist had mapped for me specifically. I saw the Radiologist each week following an xray. Good luck!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    yes
    Yes, it is normal for the treatment itself to be a very short time. It took me longer to dress and undress and wait for my turn on the table than it did for the actual treatment. The technicians seemed young, but so do many of the chemo nurses and the 2 plastic surgeons. If you are concerned, ask about their credentials and where they got their training. Ask questions about what they are doing and why. They should be happy to explain, and it might help you feel more confident that they know what they are doing. I knew the center I was going to had a good reputation, so I assumed they would not harm that reputation by hiring unqualified staff. Also, what they told me fit in with what the Dr. had told me to expect.

Fear and uncertainty are normal too, but never be afraid to ask questions and keep on asking till you understand what they are doing and why.

take care, seof
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    seof said:

yes
    Yes, it is normal for the treatment itself to be a very short time. It took me longer to dress and undress and wait for my turn on the table than it did for the actual treatment. The technicians seemed young, but so do many of the chemo nurses and the 2 plastic surgeons. If you are concerned, ask about their credentials and where they got their training. Ask questions about what they are doing and why. They should be happy to explain, and it might help you feel more confident that they know what they are doing. I knew the center I was going to had a good reputation, so I assumed they would not harm that reputation by hiring unqualified staff. Also, what they told me fit in with what the Dr. had told me to expect.

Fear and uncertainty are normal too, but never be afraid to ask questions and keep on asking till you understand what they are doing and why.

take care, seof

Too cute
    Those radiation techies--way to good lookin' and there i lay with my boob hangin' out. A girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do. And those fella's do a great job, quickly. It does take longer to get dressed and undressed. So glad it is 2 years behind me.
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options

Too cute
    Those radiation techies--way to good lookin' and there i lay with my boob hangin' out. A girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do. And those fella's do a great job, quickly. It does take longer to get dressed and undressed. So glad it is 2 years behind me.

short and good
    As everyone else has said, the treatment itself is so fast. As for those techs...just more wonderful people I've met on this journey. The young ones showed such professionalism, the older ones gave such reassurance to the process. Every other day I had a bollus treatment which is just a fancy way of saying they had to put a warm, wet terry towel across my chest to pull the radiation to the surface. I used to call those my spa treatment days. I came to know these folks so well, shared stories about our kids, weekends, even got to see a pictures of the one girl's dress for her upcoming wedding. I also enjoyed the bond with the gentleman and his family who came every morning at the my same time for his treatment for throat cancer. After 36 treatments, it felt odd to leave my "breakfast club". How nice it is to "visit" them when I go back for a check up.
  • raclea
    raclea Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Radiation time
    Hi! I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Invasive ductile carcinoma, had the lumpectomy mid Feb and am now ready for radiation. I am having IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) which I understand is much more precise and has less risk to healthy tissue. I had my first appointment last week to set me up wherein they made a mold around me so that each time I will be precisely in the same position through the use of this mold. I was warned not to move while the technicians did whatever in the adjoining glass walled room. This took about 20 minutes and I was really uncomfortable since the mold was digging into my head and I was so afraid to move. Anyway, after the doctor marked my breast, they said the next time I would get the "tattoos" after all the planning was completed. They advised that even though once I actually start the radiation, the time would be about 15 minutes, most of this is setting you up precisely and the radiation machine is actually only on about 2-3 minutes.
  • MollysGma
    MollysGma Member Posts: 13
    Options
    neda said:

an important question

important question
    Hi, I've had 17 of 33 radiation treatments and am beginning to feel very tired afterwards. I see the radiologist once a week, and yes the therapists are very young (I'm 60). When I was getting set up for the treatments I was asked if it was OK to have someone new watch and learn and I said yes. Then when I got the tatoo marks this person was told to go ahead and give me the first one. It hurt really bad and was black and blue for a week! The other marks didn't hurt or turn color. When I went back for the first radiation treatment I asked who was going to give it to me and said I didn't want the new girl near the machine. I tried to be nice, but assertive. Didn't want someone learning "how to" on me. She hasn't been in the room with me since, and although I feel bad about it, I still wouldn't want someone learning how on me. It's OK to watch, but not actually do it as far as I'm concerned. I've had lymphodema on that side, too, since surgery and it's getting a little worse. I'm scared this will continue. I sleep with my arm on a pillow and use the aloe gel the doctor told me to put on the treatment area. -MollysGma
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    MollysGma said:

important question
    Hi, I've had 17 of 33 radiation treatments and am beginning to feel very tired afterwards. I see the radiologist once a week, and yes the therapists are very young (I'm 60). When I was getting set up for the treatments I was asked if it was OK to have someone new watch and learn and I said yes. Then when I got the tatoo marks this person was told to go ahead and give me the first one. It hurt really bad and was black and blue for a week! The other marks didn't hurt or turn color. When I went back for the first radiation treatment I asked who was going to give it to me and said I didn't want the new girl near the machine. I tried to be nice, but assertive. Didn't want someone learning "how to" on me. She hasn't been in the room with me since, and although I feel bad about it, I still wouldn't want someone learning how on me. It's OK to watch, but not actually do it as far as I'm concerned. I've had lymphodema on that side, too, since surgery and it's getting a little worse. I'm scared this will continue. I sleep with my arm on a pillow and use the aloe gel the doctor told me to put on the treatment area. -MollysGma

Radiation does tire you out
    Radiation does tire you out and as you go on you will be more tired. Just rest if you can, maybe take short naps. Now, concerning the lymphedema on your arm, call the oncologist or surgeon at once and have them send you to physical therapy. They need to drain the liquid out of your arm with special massages and exercise. They will also teach you how to do it. If you don't get a grip on this it will make the lymphedema much worse. Hugs, Lili
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Radiation time
    I just had my 5th radiation treatment out of 37 today. I think the actual time of radiation is only about 5 to 10 minutes. It does take longer to set you up and make sure you are right where you should be. Even with the tatoos..it takes awhile and I want them to take their time..no hurrying for me. Feeling a lil tired from it, but, that could be mental too. Good luck to you!