devastated by dermatology appt.

ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just knew my hair wasn't growing in normally, with the thin spots and all. Today I went to a dermatologist specializing in hair disorders who told me the following: I have female pattern balding which might not have appeared until I was 80, but it was 'unmasked' by the chemo (became apparent earlier because of it). This dermatologist told me she will test my thyroid and iron levels, and that if I do have something wrong in those areas, some women regrow hair just by having that treated. She did kind of push Rogaine, but she said to take it step by step, that I don't have to decide on this now. I am kind of reluctant to do Rogaine because 1.) you have to use it the rest of your life 2.) I haven't yet talked to anyone that it helped more than a little and 3.) it has nasty side effects like hair regrowth on your face. I am definitely going to do the iron and thyroid testing, but made several appts. to see about getting a hairpiece.

I am absolutely devastated by this: it feels worse than when I was diagnosed with cancer. The dermatologist said she sees similar cases all the time in her office. In other words, I have female pattern balding, but it wouldn't have showed itself until I was 80 if all this had not happened to me.

If anyone out there has had a similar experience, or just some words of comfort, I could really use your support right now.

Ohilly

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Maybe...
    Hi Ohilly,

My daughter had balding spots in her early twenties. It did turn out to be a thyroid problem. Once that was corrected, her hair grew back in normally.
    So I'm glad that the dermatologist is testing you for that.

CR
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    So Sorry...
    Ohilly, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis from the dermatologist. I think you're wise to see about a hair piece and to get yourself tested for thyroid and/or iron problems. The advice you received from your dermatologist about taking it step y step is good. You've endured so much over the past year and half, you need to give yourself a break. A good stylist and a good hair piece can do wonders for your spirits. Then, once you start feeling a little better, tackle whatever course of action you deem appropriate. Please hang in there kiddo. Hugs, Marilynn
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Rogaine
    Ohilly, I am bummed for you and the news you got today. I do want to let you know that my husband used Rogaine when he first starting losing his hair and it was more trouble for him than it was worth (yes I know it is different for men.) He used it regularly for months with little or no result so he finally just stopped using it.

I hope the tests you are having done will result in treatment that will restore your hair to a place where you will be pleased.

My best to you Ohilly,

RE
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Ohilly, I am sorry about
    Ohilly, I am sorry about your news. I know how much this situation has been bothering you. Hair is important, especially to we women. Hopefully the tests will reveal a deficiency that can be corrected and your hair will be restored.

If this is not the case, you could look into the hair pieces that are made from real human hair and are affixed to the scalp. I know someone with one, actually a man and a women(my sister in law). They fit them to your scalp, and cut and style them to blend in perfectly with the rest of your hair. They go every 2 weeks to the salon during which the stylist removes the piece, cleans and exfoliates the scalp, replaces the piece and trims your natural hair. My sister in law's hair was thin just like yours for years and she finally decided she was not going to put up with it anymore. I must say, it looks comepletely like her own hair. She can shower, swim etc, style it, whatever. No one could ever tell in a million years that she is wearing a hairpiece. She LOVES it! The place she goes to is called New-U. Its a little pricey---about $2400.00 a year but if it makes you feel better I say its worth it if you can swing it. Good luck Ohilly and keep us posted on how you make out. Eil
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    That is really crummy news!
    That is really crummy news! But you know, I'm sure chemo wreaks havoc on some women's thyroid so let's keep our fingers crossed that this is the problem. I'm sure I've read about women having either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism after chemo. Another thought is, if this is something that may have happened when you're 80 that the chemo has triggered, then maybe when your body gets back to normal it will too, just might take longer than anticipated.

Something else, I just got a body wave and it sure makes my hair seem much fuller. I was wondering how that would work with you. Don't panic yet, wait till after the tests. I wouldn't be surprised if low levels weren't more common than we think.

We're all hoping for the best.
    love
    jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Ohilly, I am devastated by
    Ohilly, I am devastated by your news. I know how important this appointment was. But, I do have to tell you that chemo messed up by thyroid and that I am now doing somewhat better that I'm under treatment. Though, I don't wish any more complications to be added to your agenda, in a way, I do hope that it is your thyroid, so that once it is controlled your hair will start growing back. Hugs, Lili
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I do know what you mean. The
    I do know what you mean. The thought that this shouldn't happen until I'm 80 has occured to me. I want you to know I acknowledge what you are feeling and sympathize. It could get better so be hopeful.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Just let yourself heal and give it some time..
    Ohilly, Just please wait for the test results. It could be either of those things causing the problem, or, something else. And, your body has gone thru so much already. Once your healing takes over and you give yourself some time, your hair may just grow back in thicker on its own. I know it is hard for you, but, hang in there. Hugs!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    FPB....me, tooo......
    For years. Before cancer. After cancer.

What I did was to go to a cosmotologist, and ask for help with a hairstyle that hid the spots. Mine is similar to MPB...the 'points' on each side are thinning. So, we part my hair on the side (I really LIKED this), but slightly to the middle, so that my 'widow's peak' is hidden.

It is doable...look at my pic....can you tell?

Hugs, Kathi
  • ohilly
    KathiM said:

FPB....me, tooo......

What I did was to go to a cosmotologist, and ask for help with a hairstyle that hid the spots. Mine is similar to MPB...the 'points' on each side are thinning. So, we part my hair on the side (I really LIKED this), but slightly to the middle, so that my 'widow's peak' is hidden.

Hugs, Kathi

thank you all for your support
    I want to thank each and every one of you for caring: my hair problems must pale in comparison to those of you who have had recurrence or who fear it. I think for myself, the best solution is a hairpiece and I have appts. at three hair restoration places to compare their styles, prices, etc.

Kathi, I feel better knowing that you also had thinning hair, and no, I can't tell. I know this is ridiculous, but when I was in the dermatologist's office, I became so upset I actually almost fainted and had to lie down. I think the words 'female pattern baldness' (the word BALD) was what upset me so much. Maybe it's good that I went to this dermatologist appointment and found know, though, so I can get a hairpiece and move on with my life. I cannot tell you what a suffering it was looking at my hair every day and seeing it not grow back, and hearing everyone else talk about how their hair grew back.

Again, thank you all for caring,

Hugs,

Phyllis
  • ohilly
    KathiM said:

FPB....me, tooo......

Hugs, Kathi

does it get worse?
    Kathi, I do have one question I did not ask the dermatologist: does female pattern baldness get worse? Or does nobody know?

And also, my mind is pretty much made up not to try Rogaine, but did you ever try this?

Ohilly
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    ohilly said:

does it get worse?
    Kathi, I do have one question I did not ask the dermatologist: does female pattern baldness get worse? Or does nobody know?

And also, my mind is pretty much made up not to try Rogaine, but did you ever try this?

Ohilly

I don't know...
    If it does, it's slow....I don't notice it (ROFL....probably will when it reaches the back of my HEAD...).

I don't take anything. I eat as healthly as I can. I don't have anything harsh done to my scalp/hair/head. Stress can cut down on hair growth. So can diet changes.

Hugs, Kathi