Just needing some advice

LMedlin
LMedlin Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am afraid and really need someone to talk to.. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2003 and nearly died from surgery and post operative issues... I am suppose to be cancer free however I had a mammogram done last week and there is a lump in my breast. Also being seen is microcalcifications. also found was a small cyst in one of my breast.. I have not spoken to my doctor as of yet. I have an appointment on Wed.. However I do have a copy of the report.. I am worried, scared and going crazy..... I do not want to worry my husband and am hoping you guys can assist. I just need to hear I am worrying for no reason.. I am not sure I am strong enough to go through cancer again. I know there are many of you facing many health issues and I really have no right to ask for help.. Just that when I went through the cancer the first time my family was around.. I have since moved 900 miles away.. so I am very frightened. It may be nothing.. Does anyone have any insight?? I really appreciate all of your time... Thank you.. Li

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Aw, Li I am sending strong hugs to you.
    I know it's hard to do, but put off thinking about this until you hear from the doctor. And, then there will be time for action, if necessary.

I am not a doctor, so I can't say whether there is anything there or not. But, from a double cancer survivor (rectal, followed 6 months later by breast), I will share what my 5th (!) 2nd opinion said to me in response to my stating that I am so weary: "Kathi, you worked so hard to battle cancer on the first time around, why would you throw that away by not fighting as hard as you can this time?"

As hard as it was, I picked myself up and fought again. I am now nearing 4 years post-treatment on both, cancer free on both, and living life LARGE!

Please let us know what the doctor says on Wednesday.

Hugs, Kathi
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Many ears
    I agree with Kathy, don't borrow trouble until it comes to you. Having said that, I also know that it is very difficult to ignore the what ifs. Try to take it one day at a time, or one hour if you need to, and we are here to listen. We know about those fears and unanswered questions.

Maureen
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    You have come to the right
    You have come to the right place for support. Many are battling cancer more than once. Good luck with the Dr. and keep us posted.

Sending Big hug and prayers your way.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    The problem is, that when
    The problem is, that when there is no way we can face the future, there is also no way we can not. You will find the strength, even involuntarily, to do whatever needs to be done. Hopefully, all will be well. Battling BC can take many forms. Chemo may or MAY NOT be needed. Hang in there. I know that waiting is hard. We all know that because we have all been there. And that is what is so good about this site - we have been there and ARE there with you, to help in anyway.
    All my best wishes, Joyce
  • LMedlin
    LMedlin Member Posts: 21
    KathiM said:

Aw, Li I am sending strong hugs to you.
    I know it's hard to do, but put off thinking about this until you hear from the doctor. And, then there will be time for action, if necessary.

I am not a doctor, so I can't say whether there is anything there or not. But, from a double cancer survivor (rectal, followed 6 months later by breast), I will share what my 5th (!) 2nd opinion said to me in response to my stating that I am so weary: "Kathi, you worked so hard to battle cancer on the first time around, why would you throw that away by not fighting as hard as you can this time?"

As hard as it was, I picked myself up and fought again. I am now nearing 4 years post-treatment on both, cancer free on both, and living life LARGE!

Please let us know what the doctor says on Wednesday.

Hugs, Kathi

Thanks to all.....
    I just

Thanks to all.....

I just needed to hear it.... Its hard not to just fall apart. I have always been the strong one but with all that I have faced in the past few years it is getting harder. I moved so that I could live with my husband.. We got married in 2006 and did not live together full time until 2007 because of his work. I moved away from my friends and family and that has been hard.. Then in Dec 2007 I started having chdest pains that doctors could not figure out. I have regurgitation in two valves of my heart but the pain was not from that it was from esophageal spasms. I found out right before Christmas 2008 that both of my lungs are collasping and the reason is not known. It is a watch and wait issue. Its like I moved and all these bad things started happening... My grandmother is in poor health so if I have to face cancer again I cant even tell her about it because it could cause her major health problems.. I really dont worry for myself. I am worried for my family.. Trying to protect the kids from having to face this again as well. It is good to know that there is someone to talk to that can understand what is going on and the whys I am making myself crazy.. Thank you to all for listening. I will let you all know what is up on Wednesday.. Thanks again. Lisa
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    One Day
    Hey Sweetie,
    I know this is very frightening and you must know that no matter what the call is, we are all here. The sisterhood will be your family and it is good to reach out. We will surround you with our love and angels. I know that worryihg will not do anything and you can't do anything until you go to the doctor...with that said....I know how frightening it is so feel free to write often until your appointment. Try to fill your time with good thoughts. Get that box of old photos and enjoy looking through them....even if you an have an old high school annual, get that out and laugh at all the comments, pictures, and how you might or might not have given the teachers a run for their money. My husband read me an email that his sister sent him about things to do just for fun: go to a restaurant and order "diet water", go to a fast food drive through and say, "I'd like this order to go", for men: get a box of condoms and go to the counter and ask where the fitting room is"..if that doesn't work....one day my thighs were rubbing together due to my pantyhose. I am a teacher and knew it was just 9:30am and I had to do something because it was most uncomfortable. I had this great idea, I asked the teacher next to me to watch my class, I grabbed two panty liners and put one on each side and pulled my hose back up. It felt good and I was not in pain until about an hour later, I was standing up in front of the class and one of my little boys asked, did you hurt you ankle...the pads had slipped down and was caught inside the panty hose at the ankle. I told him I hurt them playing tennis....needless to say I had to run to the restroom and just took the dang panty hose off. Now that will give you something to think about.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member

One Day
    Hey Sweetie,
    I know this is very frightening and you must know that no matter what the call is, we are all here. The sisterhood will be your family and it is good to reach out. We will surround you with our love and angels. I know that worryihg will not do anything and you can't do anything until you go to the doctor...with that said....I know how frightening it is so feel free to write often until your appointment. Try to fill your time with good thoughts. Get that box of old photos and enjoy looking through them....even if you an have an old high school annual, get that out and laugh at all the comments, pictures, and how you might or might not have given the teachers a run for their money. My husband read me an email that his sister sent him about things to do just for fun: go to a restaurant and order "diet water", go to a fast food drive through and say, "I'd like this order to go", for men: get a box of condoms and go to the counter and ask where the fitting room is"..if that doesn't work....one day my thighs were rubbing together due to my pantyhose. I am a teacher and knew it was just 9:30am and I had to do something because it was most uncomfortable. I had this great idea, I asked the teacher next to me to watch my class, I grabbed two panty liners and put one on each side and pulled my hose back up. It felt good and I was not in pain until about an hour later, I was standing up in front of the class and one of my little boys asked, did you hurt you ankle...the pads had slipped down and was caught inside the panty hose at the ankle. I told him I hurt them playing tennis....needless to say I had to run to the restroom and just took the dang panty hose off. Now that will give you something to think about.

That story reminded me
    When my son was younger i bought him a little Vikings football uniform. (He is still quite a Vikings fan) anyway he was playing outside in it..i looked out the window and OMG he had Kotex (took out of my box) stuck on his shoulders and knees and all over. Neighbors were doin the teehee! I called him in and asked him what in the world was he thinking? He said "when i asked you what was in that box you said pads!!) Thanks for making me LOL!!!

We can pull out the good and funny memories to get through hard times. Just try not to dwell on the what if's. I bet besides us your hubbie will be there right beside you no matter what!! i am praying for all good news for you .
    God Bless
    Jackie
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    rjjj said:

That story reminded me
    When my son was younger i bought him a little Vikings football uniform. (He is still quite a Vikings fan) anyway he was playing outside in it..i looked out the window and OMG he had Kotex (took out of my box) stuck on his shoulders and knees and all over. Neighbors were doin the teehee! I called him in and asked him what in the world was he thinking? He said "when i asked you what was in that box you said pads!!) Thanks for making me LOL!!!

We can pull out the good and funny memories to get through hard times. Just try not to dwell on the what if's. I bet besides us your hubbie will be there right beside you no matter what!! i am praying for all good news for you .
    God Bless
    Jackie

worrying ahead of the fact
    It's hard not to worry before we know what's coming--in fact, I guess that's when we do the most worrying. Knowledge is power, one of the best things about this site.

One of my first visitors in the hospital (before path reports were back) gave me this quote of Abraham Lincoln's:

"The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time."

hugs,
    lisa