Port in...chemo on Thursday

jaavon2002
jaavon2002 Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The closer it get the more scared I get. I KNOW I am going to go into my treatment crying, I have become such a cry baby!! Lately, I've been having more good days than bad (YEAH!!). I still feel like I am going to wake-up from this nightmare any day now. I know I will get through it but I'm still not ready for this fight.

I've read a couple post about putting cream over the port site...what's the name of it, I want to call my oncologist before my treatment. I wish to feel NO pain. Any suggestions on relaxing prior to and during the treatment?? I am already nerveous.

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Ja, you will be ok. Try
    Ja, you will be ok. Try some relaxation cd's, they do help. We all have trepidation when faced with the unknown. This is a nightmare that no one wishes for, ever, but you will get through it. We are all here to give you moral as well as cyber support. Post any question you may have and we'll all try our best to answer. Remember to drink lots of water a few days before, the day of and the few days after. You want to be very well hydrated so that the chemicals do not irritate your organs. Eat small and light meals the day of and the days after chemo. Basically, you will learn by trial and error what foods you will tolerate better. Don't eat anything spicy as that will irritate your stomach and also watch with the coffee. I got seriously nauseas if I drank coffee the day of and the few days after. You're in my prayers, Hugs, Lili

PS: The name of the cream is ENLA. It's a topical numbing cream.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    (((((HUGS)))))
    My cancer center had private rooms for the infusion, I don't know how yours is set up. I took a soft blanket and a book of Mad-Libs which my niece and I did...we would laugh until our sides ached! It was a grand diversion for me. If you like relaxation /visualization CD's, by all means, get them! My room also had a TV so I could distract myself that way too.

For the record, I cried like a baby when they hooked me up to the IV for the 1st time. Even though I had already had surgery, for some reason the chemo made it real, and I fell apart.
    It was the big wave of fear sweeping over me. Thankfully, it passed, and all subsequent chemos went by just fine, and with no tears!

You are ready for the fight! And on those days when you feel less than ready? We are all with you cheering you on and walking your journey with you.

The numbing cream is EMLA...and you will need a prescription for it!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    chenheart said:

(((((HUGS)))))
    My cancer center had private rooms for the infusion, I don't know how yours is set up. I took a soft blanket and a book of Mad-Libs which my niece and I did...we would laugh until our sides ached! It was a grand diversion for me. If you like relaxation /visualization CD's, by all means, get them! My room also had a TV so I could distract myself that way too.

For the record, I cried like a baby when they hooked me up to the IV for the 1st time. Even though I had already had surgery, for some reason the chemo made it real, and I fell apart.
    It was the big wave of fear sweeping over me. Thankfully, it passed, and all subsequent chemos went by just fine, and with no tears!

You are ready for the fight! And on those days when you feel less than ready? We are all with you cheering you on and walking your journey with you.

The numbing cream is EMLA...and you will need a prescription for it!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Not bad
    I am also spleeny(?spelling) when it comes to needles. I was also nervous/scared for my first chemo treatment which was 3/10. It wasn't bad. They sprayed my port with a freezing spray and didn't feel the needle going in. It is the unknown that makes us scared but once you have it done once you will see that you can make it through this chapter of your book, I know I have and many more chapters to go with treatment.

The wonderful thing is that you only get pocked once and they can do the blood draw and receive your treatment through the same needle.

I have my second treatment on 3/24 and I know that one will be easier since I know what to expect.

I will be sending Hugs and good thoughts to you on your first day.

Keep us informed as to how you did for your first treatment.

Hugs and prayers,
    Margo
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

Not bad
    I am also spleeny(?spelling) when it comes to needles. I was also nervous/scared for my first chemo treatment which was 3/10. It wasn't bad. They sprayed my port with a freezing spray and didn't feel the needle going in. It is the unknown that makes us scared but once you have it done once you will see that you can make it through this chapter of your book, I know I have and many more chapters to go with treatment.

The wonderful thing is that you only get pocked once and they can do the blood draw and receive your treatment through the same needle.

I have my second treatment on 3/24 and I know that one will be easier since I know what to expect.

I will be sending Hugs and good thoughts to you on your first day.

Keep us informed as to how you did for your first treatment.

Hugs and prayers,
    Margo

Chemo
    Yes, I had the Freezing spray as well~ I think it is ethyl alcohol in an aerosol. The RNs used to ask if I wanted to have "Ethyl" visit my port! Yes I would, thank you very much!

That fear of the unknown is a doozy, isn't it?? But you are right~ after the first infusion, it was pretty smooth sailing. And the chemo nurses were just amazing~ so compassionate and encouraging and loving. It made all the difference in the world!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    You'll do fine
    Hi ...

I just wanted to let you know that you could not be any bigger chicken than I am. Just hearing the word needle almost makes me pass out. When I was told I needed chemo I could not believe my ears. I just couldn't imagine how in the world I could EVER do "it." But ... thank goodness I found this wonderful group of women on this discussion board ... and somehow I got the courage to have the port "installed" and move forward and do what I had to do. A few of the posts mentioned that "magic" cream and it took me about 2 minutes to call the oncologist and get a prescription. It's called EMLA ... and it is GREAT! I also asked for something for anxiety and was given a prescription for xanax.

My first chemo was last Friday. About an hour before my appointment I put a blob of the cream on the port ... covered it with a WATERPROOF bandage ... and I took a xanax. By the time I got to the appointment and the nurse removed the bandage I HONESTLY did not feel a thing when the needle went in. HONESTLY!!! The first "stuff" they gave me was 15 minutes of benedryl and something else ... followed by 15 minutes of steroids and something else ... then one hour of Taxol and 90 minutes of herceptin. But ... aftr the benedryl ... I put on my "relaxation CD" and pulled up a blanket and I actually slept for more than an hour. I couldn't believe it. Once I got past the needle going in ... I think I was OK ... but I did bring a bag of stuff to keep my mind busy. I had books to read, knitting, suduko, etc. And ... before I knew it ... the appointment was over.

Just call your doctor and get a prescription for EMLA ... and get some waterproof bandages ... and maybe some xanax ... and a relaxtion CD ... and you'll do just fine.

As I said ... I am the BIGGEST chicken around ... but ... I cannot tell you how amazed I am at how strong this "chick" really is. I can't believe I'm going through this ... but I am ... and it is what it is ... and I am actually doing it. I guess I'm stronger than I ever gave myself credit for. And ... you are too.

I'll be thinking of you ... and let us know how you do.

hugs.
    Teena
  • mary_o
    mary_o Member Posts: 1
    tgf said:

You'll do fine
    Hi ...

I just wanted to let you know that you could not be any bigger chicken than I am. Just hearing the word needle almost makes me pass out. When I was told I needed chemo I could not believe my ears. I just couldn't imagine how in the world I could EVER do "it." But ... thank goodness I found this wonderful group of women on this discussion board ... and somehow I got the courage to have the port "installed" and move forward and do what I had to do. A few of the posts mentioned that "magic" cream and it took me about 2 minutes to call the oncologist and get a prescription. It's called EMLA ... and it is GREAT! I also asked for something for anxiety and was given a prescription for xanax.

My first chemo was last Friday. About an hour before my appointment I put a blob of the cream on the port ... covered it with a WATERPROOF bandage ... and I took a xanax. By the time I got to the appointment and the nurse removed the bandage I HONESTLY did not feel a thing when the needle went in. HONESTLY!!! The first "stuff" they gave me was 15 minutes of benedryl and something else ... followed by 15 minutes of steroids and something else ... then one hour of Taxol and 90 minutes of herceptin. But ... aftr the benedryl ... I put on my "relaxation CD" and pulled up a blanket and I actually slept for more than an hour. I couldn't believe it. Once I got past the needle going in ... I think I was OK ... but I did bring a bag of stuff to keep my mind busy. I had books to read, knitting, suduko, etc. And ... before I knew it ... the appointment was over.

Just call your doctor and get a prescription for EMLA ... and get some waterproof bandages ... and maybe some xanax ... and a relaxtion CD ... and you'll do just fine.

As I said ... I am the BIGGEST chicken around ... but ... I cannot tell you how amazed I am at how strong this "chick" really is. I can't believe I'm going through this ... but I am ... and it is what it is ... and I am actually doing it. I guess I'm stronger than I ever gave myself credit for. And ... you are too.

I'll be thinking of you ... and let us know how you do.

hugs.
    Teena

Such a help
    Teena, I just registered here at CSN several minutes ago. and the very first thing I want to do is thank you for your immensely helpful description of your first chemo session.

Mine is not until next Wednesday (the 25th), and my "information session" with one of the hurses at the oncology center was just yesterday. I can tell that I have been starting to get anxious about the unknown, but the things you described doing ahead of time are just what the nurse recommended to me yesterday, and it's such a big help to know that these things really can work to relieve the stress of the experience.
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    EMLA cream
    My 1st treatment was 5 hours long, very boreing. Didn't take a book or music or FOOD or anything. Just sat there, alone- in a room with 19 other patients. Afraid, scared, wanting to cry (but men aren't supposed to cry)

Best part was the EMLA cream that I put on my port site an hour ahead of time.Just covered it with an oversized bandaid to keep it in place. [be sure to use a GOB of it- don't rub it in] Didn't feel a thing....but several times I forgot the cream and it wasn't so bad- like taking a blood sample from your arm.

Take a friend with you if thats allowed. iPod or DVD player or knitting or a book or ????? something to occupy your self with. With some types of chemo they give you benadryl first and lots of folks take a nap. [think tylenol PM]

My 6 months of chemo are over but I'll never forget the first time.

Best wishes to you
    Bill S.