Bras and Radiation

bahallock
bahallock Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm finding bras uncomfortable after surgery and during radiation it will probably get worse. I saw an after surgery tube top that velcros so you don't have to lift your arms. Has anyone tried these?

Comments

• base61ball
    base61ball Member Posts: 125
    Bra
    I haven't used those, but I did go to Walmart and get a front close sports bra - around $6.50 and that was really soft and comfy.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

Bra
    I haven't used those, but I did go to Walmart and get a front close sports bra - around $6.50 and that was really soft and comfy.

Bra...
    I ordered a one size fits all front unloader from a catalogue. I also stuff it with silky feeling bandanas from the dollar store. It helps. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I didn't wear bras after
    I didn't wear bras after surgery or during radiation. I wore men's cotton undershirts. After radiation I bought some sports bras. They seemed to work best with the empty side. I had a frozen shoulder after surgery because I babied that side and had to go to physical therapy to get it unstuck. Some of the ladies got exercises from their surgeon. Maybe you should ask for some.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Marcia527 said:

I didn't wear bras after
    I didn't wear bras after surgery or during radiation. I wore men's cotton undershirts. After radiation I bought some sports bras. They seemed to work best with the empty side. I had a frozen shoulder after surgery because I babied that side and had to go to physical therapy to get it unstuck. Some of the ladies got exercises from their surgeon. Maybe you should ask for some.

I am now almost 5 months
    I am now almost 5 months post chemo/radiation, and I still can't wear a bra. At Walmart I have found a camisole that is form fitting, and it works really well. It is soft, and comes in several colors. It does hold enough to keep me in place, and doesn't bind. The camisole is long, and fits at my hips, making it very comfortable to wear, and flexible enough to allow me to not feel uncomfortable without a bra. Good luck in your search for something comfortable.

Judy
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

I am now almost 5 months
    I am now almost 5 months post chemo/radiation, and I still can't wear a bra. At Walmart I have found a camisole that is form fitting, and it works really well. It is soft, and comes in several colors. It does hold enough to keep me in place, and doesn't bind. The camisole is long, and fits at my hips, making it very comfortable to wear, and flexible enough to allow me to not feel uncomfortable without a bra. Good luck in your search for something comfortable.

Judy

Camisoles rock!
    And my girlfriend who blessed me with one, rocks too! It was purchased from a cancer catalog from my doctors office-it has little pockets to "stuff", and no roughly finished seams-all french seams-which are smooth and hidden. I am a quilter so I used some loosequilt stuffing- to stuff, and a piece of quilt batting to have a smooth layer on top. Creative boobage I called it. One in white, and one in beige-so soft i could sleep in it.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    my 2 cents worth
    I do not wear bras since surgery because I had expanders put in and they are super-firm...my old bras don't fit...also I will be having reconstruction, so I plan to wait till after recon to see what will fit. I bought a post-surgry camisole from the American Cancer Socity's catalog "TLC", and my Sister-in-law bought me one at the hospital gift shop. They are the kind that have the pockets inside for the surgical drains, also pockets for the breast forms, and velcro down the front. They are very comfortable. Mostly I wear undershirts, or go without if I am wearing clothes that don't show what's not under them. I expect you will want only soft, loose-fitting clothes next to your skin during radiation, but that will only be a few weeks.

hope this helps, take care, seof
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Another option
    One of the teachers at my elementary school was undergoing radiation after breast surgery. Her doctor told her NOT to wear a bra (or use deoderant either). She didn't want to look "funny" in front of the kids. She solved the problem by wearing some light jumpers made out of madras material (that light plaid stuff from India) with brightly colored tee shirts underneath.

I had a mastectomy sometime later. I've used a variety of things. After my first surgery, I used a lounge bra the hospital gave me, but you can get one at a number of mail order and internet suppliers as well as shops that specialize in mastectomy products. A camisole bra from Walmart worked really well after more chest surgery that came after that for a different problem. I couldn't wear a bra for a month that time, not even a lounge bra. The camisole bra had a shelf in it that would fit a "pillow" the shape of a prosthesis filled with pillow stuffing. You can also pin such a "pillow" inside an undershirt and then wear a regular top, but I preferred the silky camisole.

Some of my older friends made do with pinning a shoulder pad inside their top. It crushes but it was light and very inexpensive.

You can also just go without. That's the cheapest and sometimes the most comfortable of all.
    If the top you are wearing is thick like a sweatshirt or has a few frills on the front, most folks can't tell.

C. Abbott
  • divablu
    divablu Member Posts: 75
    I'm going through radiation
    I'm going through radiation now ... 14 days of radiation. I was wearing a cotton camisole that is soft like a man's undershirt, but it has a second panel that hugs my one lonely breast, and adjustable straps so I can tighten it up and provide a bit more support.

Yesterday, after radiation my skin heated up and got mighty red. I had to take off the camisole, cause even the light camisole irritated my skin. This was my first day of real discomfort from the radiation.

I appreciate all the other suggestions, I think I'll head to WalMart and see what they have.

My radiation doc has me scheduled for some physical therapy this coming week. The treatment area, where my left breast was, is getting tight, and it seems some of my nerves might be getting involved. I felt like I had a sun burn from my left arm pit all way down to my elbow, but this is not an area of treatment.

Ah ... the mysteries of all these treatments! I never know what will happen next! :-]

P.S. Not crazy about going without a bra. But I know the ones I have would irritate my skin.

Thanks to all for the variety of suggestions!
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    My surgeon recommeded
    My surgeon recommeded wearing a bra even during sleep after surgery. Being a full figure type breast, going braless was not a good option. Found a soft, wireless, stretch straps, seamless one that I still wear today. When radiation burns appeared I used self adhesive guaze applied over the burn area and meds to cut down on friction from the bra.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    divablu said:

I'm going through radiation
    I'm going through radiation now ... 14 days of radiation. I was wearing a cotton camisole that is soft like a man's undershirt, but it has a second panel that hugs my one lonely breast, and adjustable straps so I can tighten it up and provide a bit more support.

Yesterday, after radiation my skin heated up and got mighty red. I had to take off the camisole, cause even the light camisole irritated my skin. This was my first day of real discomfort from the radiation.

I appreciate all the other suggestions, I think I'll head to WalMart and see what they have.

My radiation doc has me scheduled for some physical therapy this coming week. The treatment area, where my left breast was, is getting tight, and it seems some of my nerves might be getting involved. I felt like I had a sun burn from my left arm pit all way down to my elbow, but this is not an area of treatment.

Ah ... the mysteries of all these treatments! I never know what will happen next! :-]

P.S. Not crazy about going without a bra. But I know the ones I have would irritate my skin.

Thanks to all for the variety of suggestions!

Diva: Put some aquaphor
    Diva: Put some aquaphor cream on. It will help with the burn and smooth the skin. Hugs, Lili
  • divablu
    divablu Member Posts: 75

Diva: Put some aquaphor
    Diva: Put some aquaphor cream on. It will help with the burn and smooth the skin. Hugs, Lili

Thank, Lili. I'm usin the
    Thank, Lili. I'm usin the Aquaphor. The nurse gave me a tube of Biafine this week, and that helps. My routine is slathering on organic 100% Aloe Vera, then I top it with either Aquaphor or Biafine.
  • lauren08
    lauren08 Member Posts: 29
    Found some comfy bras
    I found some very comfortable inexpensive bras at Target.
    HANES makes these little cotton sports bras that I like alot. The style number is H370 & they sell for $8.00 for a 2 pack. They run small so go up a size. I mostly wear these when I am home & for bed. CHAMPION Brand also at Target has some sports bras with a molded cup (wireless) which are nice if you are wearing something where you want a little more shape. These were around 13.00.
  • bahallock
    bahallock Member Posts: 12
    lauren08 said:

Found some comfy bras
    I found some very comfortable inexpensive bras at Target.
    HANES makes these little cotton sports bras that I like alot. The style number is H370 & they sell for $8.00 for a 2 pack. They run small so go up a size. I mostly wear these when I am home & for bed. CHAMPION Brand also at Target has some sports bras with a molded cup (wireless) which are nice if you are wearing something where you want a little more shape. These were around 13.00.

thanks for suggestions
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I'm off to do some shopping.
  • jeanne1948
    jeanne1948 Member Posts: 18
    bras
    I found that sports bras a couple sizes larger helped. They were soft and did not bother me where I had my drain site. Hope this helps and know you are in my prayers.
  • tami90650
    tami90650 Member Posts: 82
    bra
    At first I wore a bra and it was very painful. So I tried no bra which was even more uncomfortable. Then I got a sports bra! Wow, comfort and support all in one. Once I got towards the end of my radiation, it was impossible to wear a bra. I did give it a shot (sports bra) and thats when the top layer of my skin came off underneath my breast. Now that was uncomfortable. It healed. take care & god bless you