RECONSTRUCTION UPDATE FROM RE (PART 2)

RE
RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today is 14 day's passed my surgery date to have the expander placed inside my chest in preparation for an implant and hopefully the return of a breast I lost in 2007. I went back to the surgeon today to have the expander filled with more fluid which is necessary to stretch the skin. Boy was I nervous, truly it was not as bad as I had imagined. My skin had loosened up enough to accommodate 200 cc's more of fluid which gives me a grand total to date of 400 cc's of fluid. I have to admit that this 400 cc's of fluid has given me back the start of my cleavage and I am thrilled! It was really rather funny because I was wondering how the surgeon knew where to stick the needle so he could add the fluid. I decided to ask him and he said he uses a stud finder like our men use when they are hanging things on the walls for us. LOL I am afraid I busted up laughing! Once that was over it was down to business as the doc used the stud finder to locate the metal disc where the fluid would be injected. Unfortunately being the person I am I neglected to hold still and messed up the whole procedure, way to go RE! Now the doc had to re-use the stud finder (I really just like to use "stud finder" :-) ) once it was relocated I had to have another shot to numb the area then the procedure began again. Let me tell you that an odd thing occurred with the insertion of fluid in the expander. I had fully expected to have pain in front since that is where my expander is, ha guess what...my pain is in my back just beneath my shoulder blade. My surgeon has explained to me it is because there are many nerves that run from the breast area to the back area where I have been having unpleasant sensations. He noted that most likely it is only temporary, time will tell. Truly so far I feel it has all been worth it and I am will keep you all updated on my progress from speed bump to breast.

Comments

• sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Glad
    I'm glad it's going well RE. I enjoyed your funny stories!
    I hope it is all over for you soon.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Re: I am so glad everything is going well. Isn't great to have cleavage again? I was so happy when I did mine and was very sure you would be thrilled with yours. Now, the stud finder, hummmmm. LOL I would have been cracking up too. Hugs, Lili
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Glad that you're doing well
    Glad that you're doing well and it's not as bad as expected. I went a different route with a lumpectomy so this is a learning experience for me. Thanks for keeping us updated.
  • Irishwhispers
    Irishwhispers Member Posts: 96
    Ohhhhh Gooooooooodie!!!!!!
    So glad to know things are going so well!!!
    I was just going to email you ... to see how you were
    ;-) Now I will just smile with you in mind and Im still
    chuckling @ Stud finder!! hehehehe!!!
    Keep this momentum going..
    You will champion this I am sure of it!!!!!
    Love ya more than my luggage!!! ..of course!!
    ~T~
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

Ohhhhh Gooooooooodie!!!!!!
    So glad to know things are going so well!!!
    I was just going to email you ... to see how you were
    ;-) Now I will just smile with you in mind and Im still
    chuckling @ Stud finder!! hehehehe!!!
    Keep this momentum going..
    You will champion this I am sure of it!!!!!
    Love ya more than my luggage!!! ..of course!!
    ~T~

They say the first is the
    They say the first is the hardest, so here's to having the first one behind you. Now you know what to expect, and it won't be so scary. Congratulations on this milestone....and I know you are looking forward to this being a thing of the past. Hugs.

Judy
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I am so glad it is all going
    I am so glad it is all going well. And you're getting your cleavage back!! Definitely a reason to celebrate. For me you'd have to do a lot of squishing to get any cleavage LOL, and that was before BC. Geez we could all use a "stud finder" couldn't we?? LOL
    love
    jan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Part 2
    Stud finder, indeed! That was hilarious~ leave it to you to find the humor in the procedure, RE! I am glad things are going well for you...thanks for the update!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Oh my gosh, RE! I had the
    Oh my gosh, RE! I had the same back pain! I was going to write you about that but I thought it was rare. (Actually, for a while I thought it was bone mets...) It sacared me at first. It was pretty intense. My doctor lessened the size of my fills and it is easier to manage. I also get pain in my arm that feels like sciatica, which I think is the same idea, from the nerves.
    BTW, you say you got 200 ccs. Since I had radiation, I get from 20 to 30 cc's a visit. Can you believe what a difference? You will be in wet T-shirt contests long before I can wear a training bra. But, but, we ARE both going to get through this, like everything else.
    Getting the fills, what with the injection, is really weird, huh. I feel like a car at the gas station. And yes, it hurts a bit. So I always make the nurse tell me about her life to divert me. I have learned a lot about that lady!
    I am so glad to hear things are going well. My under construction breast doesn't look much like a breast but still, it doesn't look much like a masectomy either and that is good enough for now.
    love to you, Joyce
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member

Oh my gosh, RE! I had the
    Oh my gosh, RE! I had the same back pain! I was going to write you about that but I thought it was rare. (Actually, for a while I thought it was bone mets...) It sacared me at first. It was pretty intense. My doctor lessened the size of my fills and it is easier to manage. I also get pain in my arm that feels like sciatica, which I think is the same idea, from the nerves.
    BTW, you say you got 200 ccs. Since I had radiation, I get from 20 to 30 cc's a visit. Can you believe what a difference? You will be in wet T-shirt contests long before I can wear a training bra. But, but, we ARE both going to get through this, like everything else.
    Getting the fills, what with the injection, is really weird, huh. I feel like a car at the gas station. And yes, it hurts a bit. So I always make the nurse tell me about her life to divert me. I have learned a lot about that lady!
    I am so glad to hear things are going well. My under construction breast doesn't look much like a breast but still, it doesn't look much like a masectomy either and that is good enough for now.
    love to you, Joyce

Back Pain How Strange!
    Hi Joyce,

Yes, the back pain is awful it hurts pretty darned bad. I am really wondering if it is going to still be there once the breast is fully constructed. I have noticed that when I reach high over my head with that arm sometimes the back pain appears or my inner arm will ache. I am really interested to see how this turns out, you know to see how close to the real thing it gets.

My sister who passed in 07 had a double mastectomy and had the dorsi Flap procedure where they take muscle from the Dorsi back muscle to use to reconstruct a breast. She did not live near me so I was not previ to all she went through. I do know she had an infection settle into both breasts and had to have it all removed and redone. Her first go at it was the expander/implants you and I are doing. Since she had to have it all removed they decided to change to the Dorsi Flap. I cannot imagine having to redo it all she had more guts then I do. My mom who had to have a radical double mastectomy way back in 75 never had reconstruction, nor did she wear a prothesis, she made her own version and used that.

Now to your wet T-Shirt comment HAHAHAHAHAHA I truly don't see that in my future but thank you soooo much for the laugh. I read your comment to my guy and he chuckled a bit. He may have even been trying to envision it so I tossed a pillow at him! :-)

Okay this is turning into a short novel so I will stop, thank you so much for your support!

RE
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    RE said:

Back Pain How Strange!
    Hi Joyce,

Yes, the back pain is awful it hurts pretty darned bad. I am really wondering if it is going to still be there once the breast is fully constructed. I have noticed that when I reach high over my head with that arm sometimes the back pain appears or my inner arm will ache. I am really interested to see how this turns out, you know to see how close to the real thing it gets.

My sister who passed in 07 had a double mastectomy and had the dorsi Flap procedure where they take muscle from the Dorsi back muscle to use to reconstruct a breast. She did not live near me so I was not previ to all she went through. I do know she had an infection settle into both breasts and had to have it all removed and redone. Her first go at it was the expander/implants you and I are doing. Since she had to have it all removed they decided to change to the Dorsi Flap. I cannot imagine having to redo it all she had more guts then I do. My mom who had to have a radical double mastectomy way back in 75 never had reconstruction, nor did she wear a prothesis, she made her own version and used that.

Now to your wet T-Shirt comment HAHAHAHAHAHA I truly don't see that in my future but thank you soooo much for the laugh. I read your comment to my guy and he chuckled a bit. He may have even been trying to envision it so I tossed a pillow at him! :-)

Okay this is turning into a short novel so I will stop, thank you so much for your support!

RE

Vicodin~baby
    Yes ma'am that was my choice of comfort prior to my "procedure". You are filling up fast,girl. I usually got between 60 and 120cc each visit. We are all so unique. It feels good to have something there-and cleavage-or how do we say decoletage (french). It all sounds good to me.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

Vicodin~baby
    Yes ma'am that was my choice of comfort prior to my "procedure". You are filling up fast,girl. I usually got between 60 and 120cc each visit. We are all so unique. It feels good to have something there-and cleavage-or how do we say decoletage (french). It all sounds good to me.

fills
    My tissue expanders had 120 cc's put in them during the surgery and then on my first fill I had 90 cc's and had some discomfort in one of my shoulder blades. On my second and third fill I had 60 cc's each time and took Tylenol one hour before the fill and no discomfort.

I felt the needle more the first and second times but last time hardly felt anything.

Margo
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    RE said:

Back Pain How Strange!
    Hi Joyce,

RE

I get the back pain pretty
    I get the back pain pretty hard (especially when I had the bigger fills of 30 or 40, so I can only imagine 100-200) the first night and then it slowly goes away till it is time to do it again. Chemo trained me for this sort of schedule. The pain can be acute at first but becomes more psychological as it is really housed in the nerve. I keep trying to get comfortable. It feels just like when you have been bending over something for too long and you just want to lie flat on your back in bed. BUt then, with this, when you get there the pain doesn't go away because it was never muscular to start with.
    Not to sound like it is miserable, I am getting through just fine. Just complaining along the way as that's my style!
    And, RE, of course I will support you...I've got your back! love, Joyce
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Cleavage and Stud-Finders
    Hi, Re, thanks for your update. I dream of cleavage again one day and enjoyed your post--informative and told with your trademark humor.

Thanks everyone, for blazing the trail of new breasts and reporting back to us. We all hope to one day again have the requisite equipment to at least consider entering a wet t-shirt contest!