Neuropathy developed during chemo treatment

jeanne1948
jeanne1948 Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I developed neuropathy during my Taxol treatments. I was wondering if anyone has had success with any drugs for this condition. I have tried 3 different ones but still have not had success with the pain I have in my hands, back and especially my feet. I work all day and even walk about a mile each day at lunch but at about 7 pm my feet hurt so much and are so numb I just have to lay down and put the up.

I am discussisng with my doctor. Vit B6 was one vitamin suggested. The first three drugs I tried were the generic and made the condition worse. I am now on Lyrica and it is helping the pain but not the numbness and coldness. I think I can live with that.

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I say
    As always, I say,talk to your Doctor. I experienced some tingling in extremities on that drug, but as soon as the drug stopped, so did the symptoms. You did not say how long it has been since your treatments ended and whether you are on any more treatments, but I would say you may have to take it easy. Maybe reduce your walking to 1/2 mile and try to find ways to sit more and move less at work. You could look on chemocare.com to see if your experience is a common effect of the drug. I believe neuropathy to some extent is common, but I am not sure what the usual recovery rate is. That's a Dr. question.

Not sure how helpful I am, maybe you'll get better advice on other posts. seof
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi Jeanne
    I developed neuropathy in my feet a few months after finishing taxotere. I found Neurontin to be helpful but you've probably already tried it. Another thought is I had increased my Vit D in Sept 08 and by Nov 08 I wasn't using the Neurontin any more. Coincidence?? Maybe, but it wouldn't hurt to get your Vit D levels checked. Now I'm on Arimidex and they have flared up again so I'll be going back on Neurontin.

There is also a product called "Neurogen" which is based on botanical oils that some women find useful. It's very expensive though.

Best of luck to you and sorry you've had to join our "club".

love
    jan
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

Hi Jeanne
    I developed neuropathy in my feet a few months after finishing taxotere. I found Neurontin to be helpful but you've probably already tried it. Another thought is I had increased my Vit D in Sept 08 and by Nov 08 I wasn't using the Neurontin any more. Coincidence?? Maybe, but it wouldn't hurt to get your Vit D levels checked. Now I'm on Arimidex and they have flared up again so I'll be going back on Neurontin.

There is also a product called "Neurogen" which is based on botanical oils that some women find useful. It's very expensive though.

Best of luck to you and sorry you've had to join our "club".

love
    jan

Jeanne
    I got neuropathy really bad just after I finished my Taxotare, I tried Gabapentin and Lyrica, neither had any effect. Jan mentioned Neurontin, it worked! (Great if you are a millionaire) $30 a little bottle and it lasted (Using per instructions) one day. But I looked up the active ingredients and you can make up a whole bath-tub load for a lot less. Eucalyptus Oil, Bergamot Oil, Geranium oil...1/3 of each. It smells bad enough to make you eat the neighbours cats! But it is some relief. Ending on a good note........It does fade and become not a big problem with time. I finished chemo in aug last year and I barely notice it now, although it affected my sleeping, walking and balance at first. Good luck and don't let the bugger get ya down! LOL Hugs Jxxxxxxxx