Radiaton Burn

Kaboo
Kaboo Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Through my 7 wks. of radiation in 2005 after a sml lump was discovered in my left breast,I was left with a severe radiation burn extending to under my armpit and lymph nodes. This has resulted in a radical mastectomy and (rebuilt) left breast due to the damage done to my blood vessels. Basically, my breast shrunk severely in size and was "dying" due to the damaged blood vessels. Today, I am left with burn marks under my breast area and armpit,and (due to tummy tuck and muscle flap repositioning) a rebuilt left breast.
I was told many times by my Dr.'s and various medical personnel that mine was a unique and rare occurrence. Just how rare and infrequently this has happened,I am at a loss to know at this point...surely,there must be someone else that has had such a reaction to radiation treatments??? I am in a recovery mode now,and hopefully will not have to undergo any further operations for a long while to come. But it would be interesting and I would like to know if anyone else has had such an experience.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had a radiation burn also
    I had a radiation burn also and they had to give me two weeks off to heal. I healed fast and completed treatment. I had a modified radical mastectomy. The radiation was on the surgery site and lymph node area. They had removed 15 lymph nodes and two were cancerous. They also radiated the lymph nodes in my neck.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I don't know
    I don't know how common such an experience is. If you want to research it, you could go to websites like American Cancer Society, M.D. Anderson, or some other hospital where research is done to see if they have studies on severe radiation burns in breast cancer patients. You might ask your Dr. for resources for you to go to to look up information. I believe it is unusual, but not unheard of, because my Plastic surgeon and Oncologist both warned about shrinking of the breast and skin problems. I have heard of several patients who had to have treatment interrupted or stopped prematurely because of severe burning.

I hope you heal up quickly and find the information you are looking for. seof
  • raclea
    raclea Member Posts: 4
    seof said:

I don't know
    I don't know how common such an experience is. If you want to research it, you could go to websites like American Cancer Society, M.D. Anderson, or some other hospital where research is done to see if they have studies on severe radiation burns in breast cancer patients. You might ask your Dr. for resources for you to go to to look up information. I believe it is unusual, but not unheard of, because my Plastic surgeon and Oncologist both warned about shrinking of the breast and skin problems. I have heard of several patients who had to have treatment interrupted or stopped prematurely because of severe burning.

I hope you heal up quickly and find the information you are looking for. seof

IMRT
    I will be starting radiation in 2 weeks after having had a breast lumpectomy in Feb. for Stage 1 invasive ductile carcinoma, and my radiation oncologist said I would be having IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) as opposed to the standard external beam radiation. IMRT allows for the radiation dose to conform more precisely to the 3-D shape of the tumor by controlling the radiation beams. I had heard stories of radiation burns and expressed this to my radiation oncologist and he assured me that this is a newer technique and much more focused precisely on the tumor area and is much safer. It maximizes the tumor dose while protecting the adjacent normal tissue. During my first planning appointment, the technicians put me in position and then made a mold around me so that I will be precisely in that position each time I go for the actual radiation treatments. There's always apprehension with something like this, but my doctor assured me that much planning is involved and that it is very safe. I have one more "planning" session before I start.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    I had radiation at four
    I had radiation at four different sites and a pretty easy time of it burn wise. I do, however, have a tan spot on my chest that only nude sunbathers get and it has been a year. Sorry you had such a rough time. I hope that you are healing now. It is nice, no matter how tossed around we get, when we get to the point that from here on out, there is only healing. I wish you the best. Love, Joyce
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867

I had radiation at four
    I had radiation at four different sites and a pretty easy time of it burn wise. I do, however, have a tan spot on my chest that only nude sunbathers get and it has been a year. Sorry you had such a rough time. I hope that you are healing now. It is nice, no matter how tossed around we get, when we get to the point that from here on out, there is only healing. I wish you the best. Love, Joyce

Radiation
    I start radiation today, after having a lumpectomy. Can anyone share the good and the bad of it? Do you always get burned bad with it? thanks
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Jeanne D said:

Radiation
    I start radiation today, after having a lumpectomy. Can anyone share the good and the bad of it? Do you always get burned bad with it? thanks

Jeanne, my experience with
    Jeanne, my experience with radiation was fairly mild compared to others....40 treatments, lasting about 10 minutes each day. The last week the rads were more localized, and concentrated on the exact spot of the tumor. This last week made me a bit more tired, but fortunately I didn't have real problems with burn. It was like a mild sunburn in the concentrated area. The rest of the five weeks were general radiation over the entire breast, and the results was a slight tanning of the breast tissue. Tiredness did come with the treatment, but certainly doable. My oncologist and radialogist both told me it would take up to a year to get things back to normal after completing treatment. I am in the 5th month of recovery, and have to slow down when I really overdo. This is not what was expected....felt like I would just bounce up off the last treatment table and get back to my old life. WRONG! Give yourself time to absorb the rads, and then time to get your strength back. Good luck, and know there are lots of us out here willing to help with questions, or just give a helping hand and lend an ear. Hugs.

Judy
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Jeanne D said:

Radiation

rads

I had a lumpectomy on 1/23/09 and had treatment #15 out of 33 today. It's more annoyance than anything else. Having to be there every day and get undressed is a pain. My skin had done OK so far. I coat my breast with aquaphor twice a day and it gets red but thats it so far. The breast is definitely darker that the lily white left one but no big deal. Only those that see me naked know that.

Maureen
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

rads

I had a lumpectomy on 1/23/09 and had treatment #15 out of 33 today. It's more annoyance than anything else. Having to be there every day and get undressed is a pain. My skin had done OK so far. I coat my breast with aquaphor twice a day and it gets red but thats it so far. The breast is definitely darker that the lily white left one but no big deal. Only those that see me naked know that.

Maureen

Rads
    I got burned fairly badly, but I have sensitive skin so........They recommended polysporin and the lovely radiation doc gave me a prescription for a special cream as well to use on the really bas bits.......There was a technician in the rads room, a huge black guy, who told me to walk like a sista! Right hand on hip and with attitude! LOL. Anyway at worst it's like really bad sunburn, but within days of treatment ending; it's gone for good. I had a black breast for about 3 months (But that could have been down to the fact that I had no running water in the house and couldn't shower as often as I would have liked to)

Hope it goes good for you, it really IS worth doing..........Hugs Jxxxxxxxx
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867

Jeanne, my experience with
    Jeanne, my experience with radiation was fairly mild compared to others....40 treatments, lasting about 10 minutes each day. The last week the rads were more localized, and concentrated on the exact spot of the tumor. This last week made me a bit more tired, but fortunately I didn't have real problems with burn. It was like a mild sunburn in the concentrated area. The rest of the five weeks were general radiation over the entire breast, and the results was a slight tanning of the breast tissue. Tiredness did come with the treatment, but certainly doable. My oncologist and radialogist both told me it would take up to a year to get things back to normal after completing treatment. I am in the 5th month of recovery, and have to slow down when I really overdo. This is not what was expected....felt like I would just bounce up off the last treatment table and get back to my old life. WRONG! Give yourself time to absorb the rads, and then time to get your strength back. Good luck, and know there are lots of us out here willing to help with questions, or just give a helping hand and lend an ear. Hugs.

Judy

Radiation
    Thank you so much Judy and Maureen for replying to me about the radiation. I have heard horror stories of how badly burnt people get and I was worried. I didn't know when to expect it. I had my first radiation treatment today..scary..but didn't hurt. I hope they give me some cream or something if I start getting burned...I am sure they will. I just put some Vaseline Intensive care lotion on it now, to keep it as smooth as possible. I hope and pray for you Judy..I know you will be back to normal. Just give yourself time. You have been thru a lot...we all have. Thank you again for your info..it really helps to know people that have been thru it and that can help. I had radiation treatments in 85 for breast cancer too, but, I have forgotten or buried in my mind what it was like. So, this is like starting new again. hugs to you all! jeanne
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Jeanne D said:

Radiation
    Thank you so much Judy and Maureen for replying to me about the radiation. I have heard horror stories of how badly burnt people get and I was worried. I didn't know when to expect it. I had my first radiation treatment today..scary..but didn't hurt. I hope they give me some cream or something if I start getting burned...I am sure they will. I just put some Vaseline Intensive care lotion on it now, to keep it as smooth as possible. I hope and pray for you Judy..I know you will be back to normal. Just give yourself time. You have been thru a lot...we all have. Thank you again for your info..it really helps to know people that have been thru it and that can help. I had radiation treatments in 85 for breast cancer too, but, I have forgotten or buried in my mind what it was like. So, this is like starting new again. hugs to you all! jeanne

skin
    My treatment center has samples of aquaphor but I went ahead and bought a 14oz container of it about $20. I coat my breast twice a day and so far so good. 18 of 33 treatments.

Maureen
  • jakeca
    jakeca Member Posts: 92
    Jeanne D said:

Radiation

No scents or dyes
    Please be careful what products you use. I was warned not to use anything with fragrance or dye in it at any time during radiation--not even after the day's treatment. Ask your radiation technician for a recommendation.
  • Kaboo
    Kaboo Member Posts: 4
    raclea said:

IMRT
    I will be starting radiation in 2 weeks after having had a breast lumpectomy in Feb. for Stage 1 invasive ductile carcinoma, and my radiation oncologist said I would be having IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) as opposed to the standard external beam radiation. IMRT allows for the radiation dose to conform more precisely to the 3-D shape of the tumor by controlling the radiation beams. I had heard stories of radiation burns and expressed this to my radiation oncologist and he assured me that this is a newer technique and much more focused precisely on the tumor area and is much safer. It maximizes the tumor dose while protecting the adjacent normal tissue. During my first planning appointment, the technicians put me in position and then made a mold around me so that I will be precisely in that position each time I go for the actual radiation treatments. There's always apprehension with something like this, but my doctor assured me that much planning is involved and that it is very safe. I have one more "planning" session before I start.

Same story as mine
    After reading thru your story I had dejavu---what you had done was exactly what I had done. The plastic mold...same position....directed radiation beam to the site...7 wks. Monday-Friday and each session (on the table) lasted 15 min.at best. The effects of my radiation burn took over a year to fully be seen by all the Dr.'s,and every Dr. told me it was extremely rare and (they)had never seen nor treated such a reaction to the radiation treatment. It has been 5 yrs. now since my radiation,and I'm left with (brown)radiation burn marks under my left armpit and below my left breast site. I get "itchy"sensations a lot of the times in this area,in and around my mastectomy area (reconstructed) breast,and a pulling sensation due to the muscle flap brought around to my front (from my back). This is a phantom itching more or less,since I really can't feel anything in these areas,and scratching to releave the itching is mute...I have to just ignore the sensations.
    I do feel very lucky despite the radiation burn..it is rare and I had a terrible time the last 5 years thru all this,but I am now a 4-year cancer survivor...each day I wake up and say "I'm still here!!!" I am learning more and more about other radiation burn reactions and each and every one is educational and valuable to me.
    Good luck to you and all that you have to undergo in this war against cancer...Can I add you as my "friend" on this site,and maybe we can keep in touch,or you can post how you are doing thru your proceedures?
    Thanks again for posting your story.......
    (My name is:) Kitty Wrobel