Anti-Estrogen side effects

saundra
saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Well, we got the results on the phone of the bone density test and the Femara is doing a job on my bones.
I have a new prescription for Fosamax that I have taken in the past successfully. I did ask if the two would offset each other and was told "no". So the fact is, although the anti-estrogen is holding back the cancer growth, it is leaching my bones. I won't get to talk to my oncologist until April when I return from Japan.
Don't even want to know before the trip any bad news or what the next step will be. Just going to live in the moment. ☺☺♬ Saundra

Comments

• Lauracec
    Lauracec Member Posts: 101
    does calcium help with that kinda thing?
    HI Saundra, I know the calcium idea is probably a stretch but just had to be goofy. I will pray the fosamax will do a great job at strenthening your bones and doing what it needs to do without interupting what the femara is suppose to do. I like your idea of living in the moment. God Bless you and hugs, Laura
  • Bstrange
    Bstrange Member Posts: 87
    Japan
    You go and have a wonderful time. The Lord can handle your bones! :) Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    Barbara
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Calcium Helps
    Hi Saundra, I was on one of the drugs for bone loss a few years back, was diagnosed ostopenia at the time. Then I switched to the chewable calcium, a dr told me our bodies absorb it better. Anyway after only one year I didn't need the meds anymore, but I do pay attention to my calcium levels. Have fun in Japan..give Kathryn a hug for me. Love Ya Bonnie
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    Saundra
    Hi Saundra. praying that the Fosamax will help your bones. Have a great time in Japan!!!
    Hugs, Prayers and Love, Terry
  • green50
    green50 Member Posts: 312

Saundra
    Hi Saundra. praying that the Fosamax will help your bones. Have a great time in Japan!!!
    Hugs, Prayers and Love, Terry

Have Fun
    Saundra I hope you have a wonderful time in Japan! I take calcium among other Vitamins I don't have the bone pain as much as I use to so guess it helps. Have a great time and Praying the news will be good when you come back.
    Prayers and Hugs
    Sandy
  • JoanC
    JoanC Member Posts: 231 Member
    Have a wonderful time
    Saundra,
    Go and play and enjoy your wonderful trip!!
    Joan
  • saundra
    Lauracec said:

does calcium help with that kinda thing?
    HI Saundra, I know the calcium idea is probably a stretch but just had to be goofy. I will pray the fosamax will do a great job at strenthening your bones and doing what it needs to do without interupting what the femara is suppose to do. I like your idea of living in the moment. God Bless you and hugs, Laura

Calcium + D
    I have been taking 1200 mg CA plud D for years....Saundra
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Have a wonderful time.
    Saundra,

Just have a wonderful time with your family. You look great, girl!

Love you,
    Libby
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    BE CAUTIOUS
    Sandra:

I don't want to scare you, but please, please research before you take the Fosamax. The sister of the PA at my oncologist's office took Fosamax. They were on a cruise, she fell and broke her hip. Turns out she now has brittle bone disease, directly linked to the Fosamax.

Personally, I can tell you that I had a horrible experience with Boniva (the same bisphosphanate as Fosamax and some others). It shot my CA125 sky high. Not only that, I was terribly ill for 2 weeks - EXTREME bone pain, fever, chest pain, headache. I called the pharmacist, he just said to not take it again and call my doctor. My doctor didn't seem to think it was the Boniva causing the side affects nor the CA125 spike. But his Physician Assistant agreed that what happens is these drugs cause severe inflammation, a very good reason that my CA125 went up. I called the pharmaceutical company and they cautioned me to never take it again, not that I needed the confirmation, but it sure solidified my decision. Also, the pharmaceutical company called me back twice and wrote letters, asking how I was doing, etc. They actually opened up a case file on me. I think they may also have been concerned about backlash for their company.

My family doctor said that he found out his grandmother's doctor was going to give her Boniva and he told his mother, under no circumstances does he want her taking that junk. I also checked out a forum on Boniva and found lots of ladies who have permanent damage because of these types of drugs. Now, you need to decide for yourself. But please taking everything into consideration.

I really don't have bone loss, per se. But because of the low estrogen factor, my doctor wanted me to take it. But I rely on weight-bearing exercise, my cal/mag with boron and vitamin D to help my bones. I will never touch a drug like that again.
  • saundra
    mopar said:

BE CAUTIOUS
    Sandra:

I don't want to scare you, but please, please research before you take the Fosamax. The sister of the PA at my oncologist's office took Fosamax. They were on a cruise, she fell and broke her hip. Turns out she now has brittle bone disease, directly linked to the Fosamax.

Personally, I can tell you that I had a horrible experience with Boniva (the same bisphosphanate as Fosamax and some others). It shot my CA125 sky high. Not only that, I was terribly ill for 2 weeks - EXTREME bone pain, fever, chest pain, headache. I called the pharmacist, he just said to not take it again and call my doctor. My doctor didn't seem to think it was the Boniva causing the side affects nor the CA125 spike. But his Physician Assistant agreed that what happens is these drugs cause severe inflammation, a very good reason that my CA125 went up. I called the pharmaceutical company and they cautioned me to never take it again, not that I needed the confirmation, but it sure solidified my decision. Also, the pharmaceutical company called me back twice and wrote letters, asking how I was doing, etc. They actually opened up a case file on me. I think they may also have been concerned about backlash for their company.

My family doctor said that he found out his grandmother's doctor was going to give her Boniva and he told his mother, under no circumstances does he want her taking that junk. I also checked out a forum on Boniva and found lots of ladies who have permanent damage because of these types of drugs. Now, you need to decide for yourself. But please taking everything into consideration.

I really don't have bone loss, per se. But because of the low estrogen factor, my doctor wanted me to take it. But I rely on weight-bearing exercise, my cal/mag with boron and vitamin D to help my bones. I will never touch a drug like that again.

Thanks, Karen
    I have taken Fosamax for three years about 6 years ago with no side effects. It is a little different that Boniva because it is available in the generic form now and Boniva is not. That means that it is not the same chemical formula as Boniva. In the three years I took it, it did bring up my osteopena from the danger level to normal. Since the Femara is causing loss of bone and I am in the danger level again, the choice was between stopping the anti estrogen and still having the osteopena and allowing the cancer to grow or taking a drug I have tolerated before. I chose the latter. Will stop it if there are any adverse side effects.
    Thanks for the heads up, though. Saundra
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    saundra said:

Thanks, Karen
    I have taken Fosamax for three years about 6 years ago with no side effects. It is a little different that Boniva because it is available in the generic form now and Boniva is not. That means that it is not the same chemical formula as Boniva. In the three years I took it, it did bring up my osteopena from the danger level to normal. Since the Femara is causing loss of bone and I am in the danger level again, the choice was between stopping the anti estrogen and still having the osteopena and allowing the cancer to grow or taking a drug I have tolerated before. I chose the latter. Will stop it if there are any adverse side effects.
    Thanks for the heads up, though. Saundra

Evista
    Hi Saundra...I was on Evista for awhile, am taking a breather from it now. It gave me extreme, and I do mean extreme, leg cramps, It did not matter whether I was sitting, walking, lying down, sleeping. My legs would spasm all the way from the ankle to my thigh. Sometimes, just as I was driving, a cramp would happen in a thigh. My doctor said it was a good choice for me because it is also good for building up your bones. But because I had the side effects, I had to stop. I don't know how this effects others, as I have not seen too much posted about it on the boards. Good traveling in Japan. Take care, Cindy
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Bones
    Saundra, thanks for the update. I have been wondering about my bones and if I should get a bone density test or wait until this chemo treatment is finished. I have heard the chemo can do a number on your bones too....

I hope you have a wonderful trip. It will be a bonus if we get to see each other. My next chemo will probably be March 23rd. It takes me a good week to come out of the woods after that. Anyway, you have my contact info.

Prayers for a safe and wonderful trip!
    Kathleen:)
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Bones
    Saundra, thanks for the update. I have been wondering about my bones and if I should get a bone density test or wait until this chemo treatment is finished. I have heard the chemo can do a number on your bones too....

I hope you have a wonderful trip. It will be a bonus if we get to see each other. My next chemo will probably be March 23rd. It takes me a good week to come out of the woods after that. Anyway, you have my contact info.

• saundra
    kayandok said:

Bones

To Kathleen
    I will try to call you but it looks like you will be in the hospital for an infusion while we are in Kyoto.
    Treatment comes first, right?
    The bone density thing is a side effect of the anti-estrogen pill I am taking to hold back the cancer growth. Most likely, I will start some chemo after I return from the long awaited trip. That is just a guess. I am a small boned blonde and have a family history of broken hips, plus I am much older than the rest of you. 70
    Thanks for the prayers. Saundra