(front)

Photobucket
(top)

ohilly

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Ohilly: I see where it is
    Ohilly: I see where it is thinned out and I will give you my advice. I think you need to wait just a little longer. Another thing I would do is dye your hair a couple of shades lighter. It would make it less noticeable if your hair is lighter. Then, if it is still thin after waiting a few more months I would do something about it. Hugs, Lili
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441

Ohilly: I see where it is thinned out and I will give you my advice. I think you need to wait just a little longer. Another thing I would do is dye your hair a couple of shades lighter. It would make it less noticeable if your hair is lighter. Then, if it is still thin after waiting a few more months I would do something about it. Hugs, Lili

one more question
    I did get the feedback about dying my hair lighter, which I plan to do. But when you say in a few months you would do something about it - like what? Do you mean get a hairpiece? Please let me know what you mean.

but thanks for replying!

Ohilly
  • ohilly

one more question
    I did get the feedback about dying my hair lighter, which I plan to do. But when you say in a few months you would do something about it - like what? Do you mean get a hairpiece? Please let me know what you mean.

but thanks for replying!

Ohilly
  • mmontero38
    ohilly said:

one more question

but thanks for replying!

Ohilly

Ohilly: There you go change
    Ohilly: There you go change your haircolor to a dark blonde and it will be less noticeable. It took me almost a year from the time I finished my treatments to be at the point of what my hair was before starting treatment. Weren't you going to the dermatologist for a consult? I would wait to see what the dermatologist says and if there is no other solution, then I would get the hairpiece. Hugs, Lili
  • ohilly

Ohilly: There you go change
    Ohilly: There you go change your haircolor to a dark blonde and it will be less noticeable. It took me almost a year from the time I finished my treatments to be at the point of what my hair was before starting treatment. Weren't you going to the dermatologist for a consult? I would wait to see what the dermatologist says and if there is no other solution, then I would get the hairpiece. Hugs, Lili

thanks, Lilly
    One more, one more question! So did your hair look like this after 6 months of regrowth (be honest: I don't want to hear things just to make me feel better), and if it did, did it get back to normal and how long did that take?

I still feel deformed. I am trying to take action, but mostly I feel out of control, that there's nothing I can do (I realize logically that this is crazy, most of the people on this board have worse problems). I even have irrational fears that not even a hairpiece will cover it! Next Sunday I have an appointment at a beauty salon and will ask about styling tips and dying it lighter. My derm appt. is on March 20, so I will let you know what they say.

Lili, you have been a godsend! I know you were struggling with your weight: I wanted to ask if you have been to Weightwatchers? I'm going now, and it's really helping - I lost 10 pounds so far.

Hugs, Ohilly
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    ohilly said:

thanks, Lilly
    One more, one more question! So did your hair look like this after 6 months of regrowth (be honest: I don't want to hear things just to make me feel better), and if it did, did it get back to normal and how long did that take?

I still feel deformed. I am trying to take action, but mostly I feel out of control, that there's nothing I can do (I realize logically that this is crazy, most of the people on this board have worse problems). I even have irrational fears that not even a hairpiece will cover it! Next Sunday I have an appointment at a beauty salon and will ask about styling tips and dying it lighter. My derm appt. is on March 20, so I will let you know what they say.

Lili, you have been a godsend! I know you were struggling with your weight: I wanted to ask if you have been to Weightwatchers? I'm going now, and it's really helping - I lost 10 pounds so far.

Hugs, Ohilly

After six months I think my
    After six months I think my hair was shorter than yours. My hair is dark blonde and I dyed (bleached) it right away. I used to have straight hair and it is very curly now. (Its been almost a year for me) So, obviously, the hair changes. Because it is so curly it sticks out and it is hard to compare the volume with what was before. It has taken me a while to get used to it. But, from what I understand, it will change back. I have heard in two years or so. So...aside from the curl changes, maybe your hair has also become wispy child hair and it will thicken, as mine will uncurl, in time. To be honest, I didn't get the feeling that my hair was coming back in "balder", except I remember feeling there wasn't enough at the top hairline, like I had a lot of widow's peak going on. Part of it was from the hair there coming in white and hard to see. L'oreal took care of that.
    I love Lily's suggestion of lightening it. I am sure you have also considered scalp sprays.
    I also suggest new diamond earrings. Even just sparkly crystals, but go for the glitter while you wait for the glam.
    love, Joyce
  • ohilly

After six months I think my
    After six months I think my hair was shorter than yours. My hair is dark blonde and I dyed (bleached) it right away. I used to have straight hair and it is very curly now. (Its been almost a year for me) So, obviously, the hair changes. Because it is so curly it sticks out and it is hard to compare the volume with what was before. It has taken me a while to get used to it. But, from what I understand, it will change back. I have heard in two years or so. So...aside from the curl changes, maybe your hair has also become wispy child hair and it will thicken, as mine will uncurl, in time. To be honest, I didn't get the feeling that my hair was coming back in "balder", except I remember feeling there wasn't enough at the top hairline, like I had a lot of widow's peak going on. Part of it was from the hair there coming in white and hard to see. L'oreal took care of that.
    I love Lily's suggestion of lightening it. I am sure you have also considered scalp sprays.
    I also suggest new diamond earrings. Even just sparkly crystals, but go for the glitter while you wait for the glam.
    love, Joyce

thanks for replying
    JoyceLouise, would you get the hairpiece now or wait? Also, I have an (I think irrational) fear that even a hairpiece will not cover it.

Ohilly
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    ohilly said:

thanks for replying
    JoyceLouise, would you get the hairpiece now or wait? Also, I have an (I think irrational) fear that even a hairpiece will not cover it.

Ohilly

I looked at all the pictures
    I looked at all the pictures and I would not get a hair piece till I had tried dying it lighter. In the pictures it almost looks like you had dyed it darked three months ago and it is growing out. Compared to me, your hair is everybit as thick, I just don't have the thin spots showing. HAng in there. By the way, your hair is cute! Love the curls! love, JOyce
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    ohilly said:

one more question

but thanks for replying!

Ohilly

Hair
    Ohilly,One more thing you might try after lightening it is to fluff it up a bit and try to get rid of the part. It looks like it is parted and if you move it around a bit, it would probably cover it better. Good luck! HUGS! Cathy
  • ohilly
    cruf said:

Hair
    Ohilly,One more thing you might try after lightening it is to fluff it up a bit and try to get rid of the part. It looks like it is parted and if you move it around a bit, it would probably cover it better. Good luck! HUGS! Cathy

this was really good feedback
    This was some really good feedback. I am going to take it all to my stylist who I see next Sunday and I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Ohilly
  • ohilly
    cruf said:

Hair

the part
    I know what you mean about the part, but I actually had to part it on the other side because the side I usually part it on is so thin. I tried just brushing it back and having no part, but to me that looked thinner also. I will discuss this with the stylist.

Bottom line to all who replied (I know you cannot tell me for sure) but do you have any thoughts if it will get thicker and how long this will take?

Ohilly
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    ohilly said:

the part
    I know what you mean about the part, but I actually had to part it on the other side because the side I usually part it on is so thin. I tried just brushing it back and having no part, but to me that looked thinner also. I will discuss this with the stylist.

Bottom line to all who replied (I know you cannot tell me for sure) but do you have any thoughts if it will get thicker and how long this will take?

Ohilly

mine
    Mine came in dishwater grey and very thin and fine, then it got curly after it was about 1/4 inch long. Some bits were longer than other bits, so I got an electric trimmer and sheared it all off about 1/4 inch, then dyed it red. I think that was about 4 months after the last chemo. When it had grown to about 2 inches (about 6-7 months, I think) I decided I didn't want the red anymore, so I cut it. Under the curly red it was light brown and straignt...the baby fine is now pretty normal in thickness and texture. The color is darker than my pre-chemo color, but I like it. I am sad to lose the curl, but I can buy that if I decide I want it back. My advice would be: a) try to me sure your hairdresser and dermatologist both have experience with cancer patients. Chemo hair can react differently to hair treatments. b) wait till 6 months post chemo to try anything drastic or expensive to see if it thickens up on its own. c) talk to your hairdresser about how color and styling might help. d) don't be suprised if your hair continues to gradually return back to the way it used to be for up to a year after chemo.

One more thing, don't feel bad about being concerned with your hair. It is not vanity or pettiness...Hair color and style is part of who you are...it is one of the distinguishing physical characteristics that makes you you, so it is significant.

I hope you are able to find the help you need seof.
  • chwoodall
    chwoodall Member Posts: 10
    I think your hair looks
    I think your hair looks great! I see the thinner areas, but I think the idea of a lighter color(maybe highlights) and some tips on styling will work for you. My mom had very thin hair and a different style and lighter color with highlights made a huge difference. Hers does not look thin at all now. I would also try the nioxin, as well. Your stylist should know something about it. The shampoo and conditioner worked for me a few years back when I was having some thinning. You should be able to purchase it at the salon or at a beauty supply(Sally's, not sure if they have them in IL)
    Good luck. I completely understand the obsession about the hair. It's a daily battle with me, too.
    Take care,
    C
  • ohilly
    seof said:

mine
    Mine came in dishwater grey and very thin and fine, then it got curly after it was about 1/4 inch long. Some bits were longer than other bits, so I got an electric trimmer and sheared it all off about 1/4 inch, then dyed it red. I think that was about 4 months after the last chemo. When it had grown to about 2 inches (about 6-7 months, I think) I decided I didn't want the red anymore, so I cut it. Under the curly red it was light brown and straignt...the baby fine is now pretty normal in thickness and texture. The color is darker than my pre-chemo color, but I like it. I am sad to lose the curl, but I can buy that if I decide I want it back. My advice would be: a) try to me sure your hairdresser and dermatologist both have experience with cancer patients. Chemo hair can react differently to hair treatments. b) wait till 6 months post chemo to try anything drastic or expensive to see if it thickens up on its own. c) talk to your hairdresser about how color and styling might help. d) don't be suprised if your hair continues to gradually return back to the way it used to be for up to a year after chemo.

One more thing, don't feel bad about being concerned with your hair. It is not vanity or pettiness...Hair color and style is part of who you are...it is one of the distinguishing physical characteristics that makes you you, so it is significant.

I hope you are able to find the help you need seof.

hairpiece
    Seof, I plan to do all of the above (your advice). But can you (or anyone who wrote back) please reassure me on one point: if it doesn't come back all the way, SOMEONE can help me by making a natural looking hairpiece, right?

I feel desperate when I think about this.

Ohilly
  • mmontero38
    ohilly said:

thanks, Lilly

Hugs, Ohilly

Ohilly, yes I'm on WW and
    Ohilly, yes I'm on WW and still struggling. I lost 6 lbs then gained 3 back. I need to stick very hard to the diet, which I'm not doing. I just can't seem to motivated myself so I really need to start. The thyroid problem is still there, so it's not helping with the loss issue either. I made up my mind that starting tomorrow, I will be much stricter in watching everything that goes in my mouth and hopefully, it will help.

At 6 months my hair was probably about 2 inches. It was a mousy gray in the back and totally white in the front. It came in like peach fuzz and very curly. So, I would probably say it was thing for about 1 year. Then the curls went away, the hair got much thicker and now I have the same texture I had prior to chemo. Wait until you see the dermatologist and then you can plan your next step. In the meantime, dye it a much lighter shade. It will make it less noticeable. Hugs, Lili
  • ohilly

Ohilly, yes I'm on WW and
    Ohilly, yes I'm on WW and still struggling. I lost 6 lbs then gained 3 back. I need to stick very hard to the diet, which I'm not doing. I just can't seem to motivated myself so I really need to start. The thyroid problem is still there, so it's not helping with the loss issue either. I made up my mind that starting tomorrow, I will be much stricter in watching everything that goes in my mouth and hopefully, it will help.

At 6 months my hair was probably about 2 inches. It was a mousy gray in the back and totally white in the front. It came in like peach fuzz and very curly. So, I would probably say it was thing for about 1 year. Then the curls went away, the hair got much thicker and now I have the same texture I had prior to chemo. Wait until you see the dermatologist and then you can plan your next step. In the meantime, dye it a much lighter shade. It will make it less noticeable. Hugs, Lili

Weight Watchers
    Lili, if it would help you to have a WW 'buddy,' you can email me periodically to let me know how you're doing and how much weight you lost. I find Weightwatchers really helpful.

Ohilly
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi Ohilly, I think you're
    Hi Ohilly, I think you're doing pretty good for 6 months. I see what you mean about the thinness and agree with the other gals that going a lighter shade, see a stylist and waiting a bit longer might change things for you. I think my hair is a little thinner on the top and sides now. I was wondering if you were on an AI as that is one of the se. You've got some real nice wave to your hair. Mine is all gone now :(
    love
    jan
  • redriverartist
    redriverartist Member Posts: 54
    Hi, Ohilly - I agree with
    Hi, Ohilly - I agree with the others - wait a few months. If you're still bothered, they have very light and open webbed wigs that you can pull your own hair through to blend in with the wig hair. I love your hair the way it's coming back. A lighter shade would help, too. You have some good growth going on there, Girl! Hugs,Teresa
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hairs To You!
    I agree with ALL of the posters, OHilly~ your hair seems to be coming in right on schedule. I always try and think of newborn babies~ generally speaking, how much hair do they have in 6 months? It is a pretty good touchstone, in my opinion.

Lightening the hair is good advice; I would suggest rather than overall bleaching, you have it highlighted. The names change, but "back in the day" we used to call it frosting. Your hair will then actually look almost twice as thick as you will have the contrast of color which tricks the eye. With this procedure, as you are letting your hair grow, you will not have such a root regrowth issue. Many ppl with short hair like it short, so frosting is not ideal for them, as every 6 weeks or so they are getting it cut off! I dare say you will NOT be one of those cutting your hair any time soon! :-)

I would speak once again with your colorist/stylist, and get perhaps a soft caramel color you can live with!

Love ya OHilly!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • ohilly
    chenheart said:

Hairs To You!
    I agree with ALL of the posters, OHilly~ your hair seems to be coming in right on schedule. I always try and think of newborn babies~ generally speaking, how much hair do they have in 6 months? It is a pretty good touchstone, in my opinion.

Lightening the hair is good advice; I would suggest rather than overall bleaching, you have it highlighted. The names change, but "back in the day" we used to call it frosting. Your hair will then actually look almost twice as thick as you will have the contrast of color which tricks the eye. With this procedure, as you are letting your hair grow, you will not have such a root regrowth issue. Many ppl with short hair like it short, so frosting is not ideal for them, as every 6 weeks or so they are getting it cut off! I dare say you will NOT be one of those cutting your hair any time soon! :-)

I would speak once again with your colorist/stylist, and get perhaps a soft caramel color you can live with!

Love ya OHilly!

Hugs,
    Claudia

do you think the thin parts will fill in
    Chenheart, do you think the thin parts will fill in in time (or is there no way to tell)?

Ohilly