3rd recurrence... Has anyone been treated with only Gemzar?

Susan523
Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello again... I was diagnosed in May 2006. I had 6 rounds of Paclitaxol,and then a recurrence only a few months after finishing the chemo. My Dr. then put me on IP Chemo
(Cisplatin). I was able to handle 5 of those treatments. Well, I was only in remission for
about 4 or 5 months when I got that distinctive "bloating" feeling, and marched myself to the lab for a CA125. Sure enough, it had climbed from 4.3 to 9. Not much to worry about; until
mid-Oct when another CA showed it had risen to 35. Long story short, I have had a CT Scan which showed no cancer cells, but then an ultrasound detected "fluid around my liver". So a
sample of the fluid was taken and sent to the lab. Of course it came back with cancer cells,
so now I move on to Chemo #3. (By the way, this week's CA is at 116.5).
My question is about Gemzar, and the use of Gemzar alone. I told my Dr. I'd like to try it, and like to not go bald if possible, as shallow as it sounds.... (that part is just extremely tough for me). My Dr. completely agreed; saying that we can add the carboplatin at
any time if it isn't being effective in bringing down my CA. So beginning March 10th, I'll be trying Gemzar alone.
Has anyone had this? Was it effective?? any input would be greatly appreciated. Gosh, I'd
love to somehow be in remission for longer than a few months.... and those few months weren't
even long enough to recoup from the chemo!

God Bless all of us as we journey through this courageous battle xoxo ~Susan

Comments

• MichaelaMarie
    MichaelaMarie Member Posts: 163
    Gemzar
    Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear that you have to go back on chemo too! I was put on Gemzar about 3 years ago, and unfortunately it didn't work for me, but I've heard that it has for many others. Like you, I liked the fact that you don't lose your hair with Gemzar. However, mine did thin some.....but that's okay. I didn't have any bad symptoms from it either. I'm on Topotecan now, and it is brutal to your while blood cells! So far, they have been bouncing back in time for another treatment. Here's hoping that the Gemzar is the drug that will knock out your cancer once and for all!!!!! Take good care......with hugs and prayers, MM
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Sorry
    I chose the antiestrogen pill instead, so have not had Gemzar. I don't know what I will get if I come off the Femara. I am sad that you have to start something so soon. Bummer!!☹ I am enjoying having some hair too after 20 months of baldness on the Taxol. Given the choice of shrinking tumors or hair, I'll take the baldness though. Anything to fight back the bad cells.
    God Bless you, Susan. Saundra
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Gemzar
    Hi Susan

Sorry to hear your news, but there are a lot of different chemos for you to try. Gemzar is the one I am now on, but with Nexavar and oral drug.

I had Gemzar by itself back in 2006 and it didn't help me much, but others I know have gotten good results. Prayers that you are one of them.

Buckets of Teal Hugs ♥ Prayers coming your way. Bonnie
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    Susan
    Hi Susan, I'm so sorry you have to go thru this again.My ca never got below 34. it is now at 45 after 13 treatments . I have one more treatment of Doxil to go and then maybe a break or the Dr. said we would try topotecan. I know how you feel about the hair. Good Luck! Sending positive thoughts your way and hope this works for you and thhs time you get a really long remission.
    Hugs and Prayers, Terry
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Thank you everyone!!
    Thank you all for your wonderful input. I just love the support and understanding that only we, as patients can give to each other. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Gemzar
    Hi Susan, I am so sorry to hear you are recurring. I know the stress and dismay this can cause. My first recurrence was confirmed in November 2008 and it was so much harder to swallow than the original dx.

I'm getting gemzar/cisplatin right now. The first round they gave me gemzar only and waited a couple days to see the side effects before getting the cisplatin. I didn't have any reaction at all (the cisplatin is a different story altogether!). I have heard of people only getting gemzar with good results. I hope this is the chemo for you and wish you the best. Praying for strength for you today.

Warm hugs,
    kathleen
  • green50
    green50 Member Posts: 312
    kayandok said:

Gemzar
    Hi Susan, I am so sorry to hear you are recurring. I know the stress and dismay this can cause. My first recurrence was confirmed in November 2008 and it was so much harder to swallow than the original dx.

I'm getting gemzar/cisplatin right now. The first round they gave me gemzar only and waited a couple days to see the side effects before getting the cisplatin. I didn't have any reaction at all (the cisplatin is a different story altogether!). I have heard of people only getting gemzar with good results. I hope this is the chemo for you and wish you the best. Praying for strength for you today.

Warm hugs,
    kathleen

Gemzar
    I had gemzar as well and it didn't help me much but as others say it does help some people. It does not make you lose your hair and I had little side effects. Pray it works for you.
    Prayers and Hugs
    Sandy
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Susan523 said:

Thank you everyone!!
    Thank you all for your wonderful input. I just love the support and understanding that only we, as patients can give to each other. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo

Susan
    I haven't had to go through the recurrence thing yet, but I wanted to say I'll be keeping you close in my thoughts and hope that this chemo will give you more of a break then the last two times. Cisplatin, to me, is HORRIBLE. I'll be interested to hear how the Gemzar.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. Hugs.

Kris