Another reconstruction question

Options
RE
RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay ladies, I have another question. I know I should be asking my surgeon and I plan to, however I am really looking for the female view so here goes. For those of you who have chosen to have reconstruction I am looking for views on how you feel about the nipple reconstruction or if you opted for the nipple tattoo how satisfied are you with the results. As some of you know I am scheduling my reconstruction surgery and I just want more input from my friends here who I know will level with me. My sister has a double mast. and had recon. surgery. She had had a lot of rads so it was not as easy for her to accomplish. She did show me her tattoos and I thought they looked pretty natural for tattoos. Anyway, I know nothing about reconstucting the nipple area and if it is natural looking when it is all done or how difficult it is to do. Okay enough rambling from me, now it is your turn.

Sending Hugs To You All,

RE

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Re, it depends on how you feel about having a nipple. I opted for nipple reconstruction because I had the mastectomy on one side only and we wanted to match the other breast. For my reconstruction, they took skin from my hip area and formed the nipple (I had the tram flap and had plenty of excess skin there LOL). Then 4 months later, they tattoed the aerola and nipple to match the other one. Hope I've helped. Hugs, Lili
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Nipple
    Hey, RE, I've not opted for surgery yet, but I've made lots of inquiries and attended at least 2 reconstruction panels (where there was a 'show and tell' option if you wanted to see things up close and personal!).

Here are some of the comments that I heard from different people:
    "Oh, I just love my nipples and tattooed aerola."
    "I opted not to do the nipples and aerola because I actually have some sensation returning in the reconstructed breasts. I don't want to loose any of this sensation."

My personal feeling is that I didn't really have obvious nipples before my bilateral mastectomy, so if I opted for the reconstruction I would probably not do the nipples.

Chelle
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    The BIG decision
    RE, I'm reading your posts closely since I've been flip flopping about reconstruction. I am a little bit scared and don't feel like I'm in the right state of mind to make a decision just yet. Also, even with insurance, the whole thing is costly.

But, being flat chested is beginning to feel really weird to me - I feel like one of those little green men. I notice women's breasts now and I feel kinda jealous! Thanks for posting and sharing. Lynn
  • RE
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

The BIG decision
    RE, I'm reading your posts closely since I've been flip flopping about reconstruction. I am a little bit scared and don't feel like I'm in the right state of mind to make a decision just yet. Also, even with insurance, the whole thing is costly.

But, being flat chested is beginning to feel really weird to me - I feel like one of those little green men. I notice women's breasts now and I feel kinda jealous! Thanks for posting and sharing. Lynn

FLIP FLOPPING
    Hi Lynn,

I will be posting as i go through this both for myself and for others. It has been nearly 2 years since my mastectomy and it has taken this long for me to make this decision. You are not alone, trust me prior to the mastectomy I never was envious of other women's breasts. I have a lumpectomy on the left side which I am fine with it is the side where there is no breast at all that is messing with my head. Since I went to chat with the surgeon I feel a ton better about it and am actually excited about getting the process going.

My best to you Lynn,

RE
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    RE said:

FLIP FLOPPING
    Hi Lynn,

I will be posting as i go through this both for myself and for others. It has been nearly 2 years since my mastectomy and it has taken this long for me to make this decision. You are not alone, trust me prior to the mastectomy I never was envious of other women's breasts. I have a lumpectomy on the left side which I am fine with it is the side where there is no breast at all that is messing with my head. Since I went to chat with the surgeon I feel a ton better about it and am actually excited about getting the process going.

My best to you Lynn,

RE

wondering, too
    I am also debating the nipple question. I had expanders put in at the time of my double mas in June. I ended up needing radiation on my right side so the reconstruction has been delayed. I see the surgeon again in a couple of weeks and hope he says I'll be ready for the implants soon. Keeping my fingers crossed!! Before all this I remember bra shopping for the perfect bra to not have nipple show under my shirts. Now I think there is an option to not deal with this. Not having worn a bra since June is nice! Can someone tell me how long they were out of work after having the implants put in. I have plenty of sick time and I'm not too proud to use it.
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Nipplelicious
    Hey Sweetie,
    I had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. They took the muscle and skin from my back. At first, I had decided not to do the nipples because I was so use to the flat circle and could wear my shirts w/o a bra. When I visited my oncologist, she stated "Oh darling, finish the job." I decided to go with it. I was amazed at how totally real they looked and definitely do not regret it. I was getting veins and feelings back in the "fatty" section of the breast and worried it would mess that up but I still have the feeling and almost all the way to the aerola area. Then there was the decision of tatooing or not. I was please with just how they looked and the nipple and the "fatty" part were all the same color. I did have the circle scar of the aerola area. I have only one line going down from the areola area to under my breast which is the same line I had before my nipple decision. I decided to go for it. I could not feel them doing the tatooing and when I arrived home, my husband looked at them and said "OMG, when I play." He was totally fine if I decided not to have the nipple surgery and was fine if I did tatoo. I am amazed at what a difference it all made and feel fabulous. I do not have any regrets. I do find that I can't just wear thin silk shirts without a bra but when I see them, absolutely no regrets. I had thought to put pictures on my page but don't if that is permitted. Angela
  • RE
    Options

Nipplelicious
    Hey Sweetie,
    I had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. They took the muscle and skin from my back. At first, I had decided not to do the nipples because I was so use to the flat circle and could wear my shirts w/o a bra. When I visited my oncologist, she stated "Oh darling, finish the job." I decided to go with it. I was amazed at how totally real they looked and definitely do not regret it. I was getting veins and feelings back in the "fatty" section of the breast and worried it would mess that up but I still have the feeling and almost all the way to the aerola area. Then there was the decision of tatooing or not. I was please with just how they looked and the nipple and the "fatty" part were all the same color. I did have the circle scar of the aerola area. I have only one line going down from the areola area to under my breast which is the same line I had before my nipple decision. I decided to go for it. I could not feel them doing the tatooing and when I arrived home, my husband looked at them and said "OMG, when I play." He was totally fine if I decided not to have the nipple surgery and was fine if I did tatoo. I am amazed at what a difference it all made and feel fabulous. I do not have any regrets. I do find that I can't just wear thin silk shirts without a bra but when I see them, absolutely no regrets. I had thought to put pictures on my page but don't if that is permitted. Angela

Good news indeed!
    Thanks Angela,

The info you have shared is very helpful, actually I was unsure if I would have much feeling or not. It is nice to know that I may have some sensation when it is all said and done. I e-mailed my surgeon yesterday regarding the nipple recon and I am waiting for a response. I am glad to have the wheels turning on the reconstruction. I will be noting my progress as I go along so feel free to share as I am up for any information anyone wants to share! Glad it has worked out well for you.

(((((HUGS)))))

RE
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    RE said:

Good news indeed!
    Thanks Angela,

The info you have shared is very helpful, actually I was unsure if I would have much feeling or not. It is nice to know that I may have some sensation when it is all said and done. I e-mailed my surgeon yesterday regarding the nipple recon and I am waiting for a response. I am glad to have the wheels turning on the reconstruction. I will be noting my progress as I go along so feel free to share as I am up for any information anyone wants to share! Glad it has worked out well for you.

(((((HUGS)))))

RE

Nipple reconstruction
    Re: I had a Tram Flap reconstruction 8 years ago as well as nipple and aerola tattoo. I am happy I did them but one of the problems with the nipple reconstruction is that it can flatten out. Mine was great to start with but w/i a few weeks, it flattened out. I had it done a 2nd time and it did the same thing. The MD said this is common. I also had a tattoo of the aerola and that worked well. I have no feeling in the breast but it looks fairly good. It feels like the other side. I do wear a slightly padded bra as the reconstructed side is a bit smaller and the nipple is flat whereas the other nipple does show and that makes me a bit self conscious. I am happy and satisfied that I did it. I think for my psyche, it was necessary for me.Good luck with whatever you decide. HUGS!! Cathy
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    cruf said:

Nipple reconstruction
    Re: I had a Tram Flap reconstruction 8 years ago as well as nipple and aerola tattoo. I am happy I did them but one of the problems with the nipple reconstruction is that it can flatten out. Mine was great to start with but w/i a few weeks, it flattened out. I had it done a 2nd time and it did the same thing. The MD said this is common. I also had a tattoo of the aerola and that worked well. I have no feeling in the breast but it looks fairly good. It feels like the other side. I do wear a slightly padded bra as the reconstructed side is a bit smaller and the nipple is flat whereas the other nipple does show and that makes me a bit self conscious. I am happy and satisfied that I did it. I think for my psyche, it was necessary for me.Good luck with whatever you decide. HUGS!! Cathy

Cathy, I also have the same
    Cathy, I also have the same problem as you in that the reconstructed side is slightly smaller than the other. According to the surgeon, I didn't have enough viable fat to make them the same size. Without a bra, you can't tell the difference, but when I wear one, then you can tell. You mentioned you wear a padded, and I hadn't thought that would help, but I will go to Victoria's Secret and try some on. LOL. Thanks for the tidbit, I hope it solves my problem too. Hugs, Lili