Cancer Treatment Centers

deanna14
deanna14 Member Posts: 732
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Does anyone here have any experience with Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Is it common practice to get a second opinion prior to starting treatment?

Comments

• Lauracec
    Lauracec Member Posts: 101
    2nd opinion
    Hi, I have looked them up on the web and it sounds real nice. I also talked to a women who's son had brain cancer and she said it was wonderful there. I think she said they pay for you and a guest to fly out and after that they still pay for the patient back and forth. it is very common for people to get a second opinion. I did after my surgery. we went up to seattle to the cancer place up there just to get another opinion and they agreed with everything my doc is doing here. It kind of helped me feel more at peace about treatment. Laura
  • newhopechurchli
    newhopechurchli Member Posts: 126
    Lauracec said:

2nd opinion
    Hi, I have looked them up on the web and it sounds real nice. I also talked to a women who's son had brain cancer and she said it was wonderful there. I think she said they pay for you and a guest to fly out and after that they still pay for the patient back and forth. it is very common for people to get a second opinion. I did after my surgery. we went up to seattle to the cancer place up there just to get another opinion and they agreed with everything my doc is doing here. It kind of helped me feel more at peace about treatment. Laura

From what I have seen...
    Cancer treatment center offers alot of things that you won't necessarily get from one doctor - there are alot of issues such as nutrition and dealing with body pain from the chemo that are addressed there. I am only going by the web information I have read. But when you are experiencing pain - and you see that they have body massages and people to teach you how to eat.... I kind of wished I was there :) Also - they only treat cancer so they stay on top of all the lastest treatments. Hope this helps!
  • newhopechurchli
    newhopechurchli Member Posts: 126
    Lauracec said:

2nd opinion

From what I have seen...
    Cancer treatment center offers alot of things that you won't necessarily get from one doctor - there are alot of issues such as nutrition and dealing with body pain from the chemo that are addressed there. I am only going by the web information I have read. But when you are experiencing pain - and you see that they have body massages and people to teach you how to eat.... I kind of wished I was there :) Also - they only treat cancer so they stay on top of all the lastest treatments. Hope this helps!
  • deanna14
    deanna14 Member Posts: 732

From what I have seen...

Thank you for replies.
    Thank you both for your replies. I was asking because I haven't been completely comfortable with my doctor from the beginning, but he is the only 1 of 2 gyn/ocn in my area. The other one is not covered by my insurance.
    I actually have spoken with 2 different representatives from CTCA. They sound so knowledgeable, kind and compassionate on the phone. I was hoping to find someone to talk to that had actually been treated there or at least someone who know someone who had treatment there. I'm serously considering having the initial consultation with them. What can it hurt and they advertise that they pay for travel and lodging for the initial appointment.
    Thanks again for your input. I do love the sound of such a multi discipline "team" approach and the nutrition and naturopathic components. Not to mention the massages. I could have used one of those a few nights ago after Neulasta!
  • rasunshine
    rasunshine Member Posts: 28 Member
    deanna14 said:

Thank you for replies.
    Thank you both for your replies. I was asking because I haven't been completely comfortable with my doctor from the beginning, but he is the only 1 of 2 gyn/ocn in my area. The other one is not covered by my insurance.
    I actually have spoken with 2 different representatives from CTCA. They sound so knowledgeable, kind and compassionate on the phone. I was hoping to find someone to talk to that had actually been treated there or at least someone who know someone who had treatment there. I'm serously considering having the initial consultation with them. What can it hurt and they advertise that they pay for travel and lodging for the initial appointment.
    Thanks again for your input. I do love the sound of such a multi discipline "team" approach and the nutrition and naturopathic components. Not to mention the massages. I could have used one of those a few nights ago after Neulasta!

Gerson Therapy
    After my second round of Ovarian, I checked out the Gerson.org site. very valuable information. You should check it out and order the books . All natural and all organic.The way I look at it. What do I have to lose?..I am rebuiding my body cells. I am also detoxing my liver and taking nutrition to keep it healthy along with Pancreatin for my pancreas.
    There are alot of things that you can do on your own. My Dr. just tells me to keep doing what I am doing, because I am her best patient..I take that as a compliment. Take care and blessings to you. Candles burn in the Chapel for all of the ladies on this site..Think I will start a thread....organic foods and nutrition are a BIG factor in staying well and I believe the naturopaths will tell you that. I have checked into them also, but have not gone.