PSA returns after radical surgery

JoeT
JoeT Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I had radical surgery 6 yrs ago (gleason was 7--- 3-4)and although my last psa reading was low .3 it has been on a slow rise over the last 6 yrs. When I met with my urologist I told him I want to be agressive with this and he agreed with me. He sent me to see an oncologist and he recommended that I have radiation theropy in the area that the prostate was removed from. He though that perhaps some cells were left and are starting to multiply.
My question is how would he know they were in that area versus having moved. Should I insist on getting a PET scan or is that foolish???

I want to be agreesive because although there is not cancer history in my family, I have already had 2 other non related bouts with cancer. Any suggestions??
Also should I bother with a 2nd opinion???

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Duds147
    Duds147 Member Posts: 1
    Scared to Death
    Hello Joe,
    My name is Willie, my Gleason was a 7-3-4. My psa reading was 5.1. My surgery is scheled for the 21st of this month. After reading some the problems of having some the radical surgery.
    Makes we wonder if I made the right decision. I thought I had it all figured out, after reading some of the posts. I'm not sure anymore. I'm 56 years old and have a family history of cancer, on my dad and mother's side.

Thanks,

Willie
  • JoeT
    JoeT Member Posts: 2
    Duds147 said:

Scared to Death
    Hello Joe,
    My name is Willie, my Gleason was a 7-3-4. My psa reading was 5.1. My surgery is scheled for the 21st of this month. After reading some the problems of having some the radical surgery.
    Makes we wonder if I made the right decision. I thought I had it all figured out, after reading some of the posts. I'm not sure anymore. I'm 56 years old and have a family history of cancer, on my dad and mother's side.

Thanks,

Willie

Scared to Death
    Willie,

If I had it to do over I would have done the same thing. The radical was I think the best choice and I had a doctor that I trusted and still do. I was 60 when I had my operation.
    I just guess some cells were left behind and now the place needs to be swept clean. Kinda like an old broom, sometimes you need to do it twice to get it clean. Good luck with to you my friend. If you ever want to chat about you can reach me at Joetansey@msn.com

Joe
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Duds147 said:

Scared to Death
    Hello Joe,

Thanks,

Willie

Decision
    Willie,

You have to believe that you made the right decision after all your research. I was 58 when I had my Prostatectomy and have never regretted my decision. I have been cancer free and have not had any loss of functionality, so to speak.

It is hard, but practice your Kegals religiously, as they will have a big part in you retaining your continence following surgery. As far as the ED issue you have put your faith in your surgeon's ability. The MOST important thing is that the cancer be removed. REMEMBER that.

Best of luck and keep us informed of your progress. If you have any personal questions you are reluctant to post, e-mail me at this site.

Roger