Once a year osteoporosis treatment and semi-colons

Joy1216
Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm a semi-colon who was diagnosed with stage 1 cc in March 2006. After my resection, I started taking Actonel, which is a once a week osteoporosis pill, along with daily calcium and vitamin D. Since I have been having some occasional severe bone pain, I requested info about the once a year IV treatment for osteoporosis, Reclast. It sounded like a good alternative to Actonel. I received the Reclast info today. The pamphlets were just fluff, but the technical information (all nine 8 1/2 X 11 pages of it) really got my attention. "What should I tell my doctor before getting Reclast? Reclast may not be right for you. Tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you: had sections of your intestine removed." Well, that would include every single semi-colon. Apparently mineral metabolism is impacted by removal of part of the intestines. I had 5" of small intestine removed, along with 9" of colon, so my mineral metabolism is probably all messed up. One of the side effects of Reclast is "severe incapacitating bone, joint, muscle pain." Another is renal impairment. It also mentioned that in patients with cancer and bone mets, Reclast results in prolonged low plasma concentrations. With Reclast, you also have to take daily calcium and vitamin D to prevent a decline in serum calcium levels.

Does anybody know anything about this drug? I don't have a medical background, so maybe I am taking some of the info out of context. I just wanted to put this info out for you to consider. Don't think I'll be asking my doctor about this drug.
Joy

Comments

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Osteoporosis tx
    Hi Joy,

Well, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that chemo tossed me into severe osteopenia bordering on osteoporosis. I tried the Actonel, but my bones, joints yea, even my fingernails hurt for a week. Total incapacitation. So we stopped that. Later, I read that most of these osteoporosis medications sort of just solidify what bone you have. I don't know about Boniva, but my doc told me it was in the same family. However, Sally Fields keeps telling me that her bones regenerated--how is that? Either way I would be careful about these biophosphonates. They can have some bad side effects.

That was helpful, wasn't it? :)

Kirsten
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Have you had a DEXA bone density scan????
    Are you osteoporotic?

I am, and am taking Actonel and calcium supplements. Have been for 2 years. My osteoporosis in my hip is 'back' to osteopenia. My back is still osteoporotic, but improving...

Reclast, according to my oncologist, is for people who cannot tollerate the pills, but are osteoporotic. Both Boniva and Actonel now have a once-a-month pill, so it's way more convenient. Also, Reclast is now in trials for treatment of advanced-stage breast cancer, where it's gone to the bone. This is a major powerful drug.

Thanks for the info on the warnings, tho...I didn't know...I won't be quick to go there, either, having lost 12 inches of colon, and 5 inches of small intestine to rectal cancer...

Hugs, Kathi
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Osteoporosis
    Hello! Yeah, i decided in no way am i going to take that once a year shot! It hasn't been out that long, and there is a lot they're unsure of. I was told that it causes bone cancer in poor lab rats, but that if i took it for one or two years, it shouldn't affect me. HA! Like i'm really going to take THAT risk! Sometimes i wonder if they're not using me as a lab rat? Anyway, I was taking fossamax, and my orthopod says it will not reverse the damage to my bones (i'm a -3.9), but will keep me from losing more bone. My oncologist says it will reverse the damage. All i know for sure is that no one knows for sure. I would definitely weight the pros and cons before deciding to take it. Sounds like you're doing a good job with that now.

Good luck!
    Krista
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    KathiM said:

Have you had a DEXA bone density scan????
    Are you osteoporotic?

I am, and am taking Actonel and calcium supplements. Have been for 2 years. My osteoporosis in my hip is 'back' to osteopenia. My back is still osteoporotic, but improving...

Reclast, according to my oncologist, is for people who cannot tollerate the pills, but are osteoporotic. Both Boniva and Actonel now have a once-a-month pill, so it's way more convenient. Also, Reclast is now in trials for treatment of advanced-stage breast cancer, where it's gone to the bone. This is a major powerful drug.

Thanks for the info on the warnings, tho...I didn't know...I won't be quick to go there, either, having lost 12 inches of colon, and 5 inches of small intestine to rectal cancer...

Hugs, Kathi

Bone Density Scan
    I had a DEXA bone density scan a couple of years ago and was diagnosed with osteopenia. That was when my doctor prescribed Actonel. I also take daily calcium citrate with vitamin D. One seminar for cancer patients that I went to was taught by a pharmacist. She emphasized that calcium citrate (Citracal) was much better for you than calcium carbonate (Caltrate). She said that if you can chew it, it's calcium carbonate and full of sugar. When I go for my next physical, I'll ask about the once a month Actonel or Boniva. I had a baseline scan about four or five years ago, while still on HRT. Then I had this scan a year after I went off HRT after 17 years (premature menopause). I haven't had a follow-up scan, but I'll ask my doctor when she recommends having a follow-up scan.
    Joy