Xeloda & Radiation while working a 40 hr. week?

2»

Comments

• ac
    ac Member Posts: 88 Member
    Mike,
    I completed 5 1/2

Mike,

I completed 5 1/2 weeks of radiation and Xeloda a couple of weeks ago.

I managed to work throughout. But I was fortunate enough to experience minimal side effects (other than rectal burn) and my manager was also highly supportive. I cut back my hours typically 50 to 60 a week to about 1/2 working from home.

Good luck!

Andrew
  • markinalexva
    markinalexva Member Posts: 7
    Mike,
    I had six weeks of

Mike,
    I had six weeks of daily radiation and Xeloda with very few symptoms. I worked every day, scheduled my radiation for 4:30 then went home from the hospital. I only experienced very mild nausea on ocassion and fatigue but otherwise was fine. My tumor was very low in the rectum and my surgeon was estimating a 50/50 chance of a permanent colostomy. In the end, the pre-surgery treatment was very successful and I only had a temporary ileostomy.

As a guy who's been through this though, I would make sure I ask the radiation oncologist about protecting your genitalia. I have developed peyronie's disease which I attribute to the radiation and would like to have asked my oncologist about proctecting my penis, testicles, etc. during radiation. Nobody discussed this beforehand but I think it's important to most men.

Mark
  • clgregory
    clgregory Member Posts: 5
    To work or Not to work??
    When I was first diagnosed with stage iv cc I had been on my new job for about 2 months. My boss was very supportive- I was very sick and each week it was something crazy and new- I was in and out of the hospital in and out of surgery and chemo and I decided to take the year off and get better. Get better I did! 15 months later I was told it had returned- again I had just started a new job and this time I decided to work thru chemo as much as my boss would let me. They have been great- I work from infusion, I work from home when I feel sick (which really isn't often with todays meds, not so bad). I started working again 2 weeks after my last liver resection surgery-I am currently working thru chemo again. It keeps me busy and my co workers keep me encouraged. I have NORMAL in my life. So... I have been on both sides and I agree that it depends on you, your treatment and how you react to your treatment. Best wishes!!