Lung Biopsy Scheduled

dorookie
dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, I have my biopsy scheduled for Friday the 7th, then I see my ONC on the 12th for the results. Please keep me in your prayers. My boss at work has been really great, I was asking our HR people about a medical retirement, well he got word of that and called me at home tonight and told me not to quit on him, that I was now his responsibility and he was going to make sure I had enough sick leave to get through this. He has recently joined our office and he is very different from our last boss(my last boss was very good to me as well when I went through the first treatment). After he called, I told my partner about the call, she felt alot better, we both have been really concerned about our finances. There are so many things to worry about when your facing this kind of treatment. So I am thankful he called and is very supportive. I am still very scared and still a bit in shock over the recent news, however I am starting to let it sink in. I thank everyone for their prayers and I sure hope I can post next week that this was just a drill, a bad dream, and I can relax. Till next week. GOD Bless
Beth

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Lung Biopsy
    Hi Beth! Have you already received news that the cancer has spread to your lungs, or is the biopsy meant to rule it out? I'm having a similar scare, but haven't had to get a biopsy yet. I just got my second CT scan last week, and i am nervous that i have spread. The radiologist and my oncologist are not agreeing on this. I don't know your history, so i don't know if this is a first time scare of spread for you? I'm wishing you the best of luck with the biopsy. Please let us know how it goes.

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Held in God's hands
    Hi Beth,

I recall your fear that you were going to lose your house etc. God is looking out for you by giving you understanding bosses. I feel that no matter what the results are from your biopsy, you will be upheld and given the strength and tools to deal with it. I am praying for excellent results from the biopsy.

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • dorookie

Lung Biopsy
    Hi Beth! Have you already received news that the cancer has spread to your lungs, or is the biopsy meant to rule it out? I'm having a similar scare, but haven't had to get a biopsy yet. I just got my second CT scan last week, and i am nervous that i have spread. The radiologist and my oncologist are not agreeing on this. I don't know your history, so i don't know if this is a first time scare of spread for you? I'm wishing you the best of luck with the biopsy. Please let us know how it goes.

Many hugs,
    Krista

First scar after treatment
    HI Krista,

I had my 3 month ct scan and they found something in my lung, had a PET scan and the spot in my lung lite up. Good news the ONC said was that there was no other spots throughout my body, however he believes this one is cancer. There is a slight chance he is wrong, and believe me I wont to prove him wrong. I was Stage3c coloncancer in June 2007, cancer free in june 2008, possible spread in october 2008, so you can see why I am freaking out. I am not handling this as well as I did the original DX. Well I have to head to work, feel free to email me at dorookie2003@yahoo.com if you would like to chat more.
    GOD BLESS
    Beth
  • dorookie
    kmygil said:

Held in God's hands
    Hi Beth,

I recall your fear that you were going to lose your house etc. God is looking out for you by giving you understanding bosses. I feel that no matter what the results are from your biopsy, you will be upheld and given the strength and tools to deal with it. I am praying for excellent results from the biopsy.

Hugs,
    Kirsten

praying for wisdom
    I am not sure at this point that I would be praying for anything else other then wisdom. If the biopsy comes back with cancer and i have to go through the treatment again, I would pray for wisdom, to understand, to maybe help others, to learn all I can from this journey. I know this may sound stupid, but i kind of feel like maybe I didnt learn what I was supposed to last time, i was very shut down last time, didnt talk, didnt share my feelings, i was to busy trying to be tough like it was nothing. Okay late for work now...good thing I am one of the bosses...LOL God Bless
    Beth
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375 Member
    dorookie said:

First scar after treatment
    HI Krista,

I had my 3 month ct scan and they found something in my lung, had a PET scan and the spot in my lung lite up. Good news the ONC said was that there was no other spots throughout my body, however he believes this one is cancer. There is a slight chance he is wrong, and believe me I wont to prove him wrong. I was Stage3c coloncancer in June 2007, cancer free in june 2008, possible spread in october 2008, so you can see why I am freaking out. I am not handling this as well as I did the original DX. Well I have to head to work, feel free to email me at dorookie2003@yahoo.com if you would like to chat more.
    GOD BLESS
    Beth

Keep us posted!
    Hey Beth,

I'll be really interested to see how the biopsy goes for you. It so sounds like we are in such similar situations!!! I, too, have no other spots throughout my body... just this lung stuff, where one spot has lit up on the PET scan twice. They were talking of doing a lung biopsy on me as well, but have decided that they are pretty sure that this one spot (that has lit up the PET scan twice now) is cancer... but it is growing so slowly. Hence we are going to see if I'm eligible for the RFA (Radiofrequency Ablation) and then rather than wonder about the other few tiny spots that may or may not be cancer... just burn them all away, which would avoid having to go on chemo again and/or surgery.

So, you might want to ask your oncologist if the biopsy does prove that it's cancer, might you be a candidate for RFA since it is the most less-invasive of the treatments.

Keep us posted!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • dorookie

Keep us posted!
    Hey Beth,

I'll be really interested to see how the biopsy goes for you. It so sounds like we are in such similar situations!!! I, too, have no other spots throughout my body... just this lung stuff, where one spot has lit up on the PET scan twice. They were talking of doing a lung biopsy on me as well, but have decided that they are pretty sure that this one spot (that has lit up the PET scan twice now) is cancer... but it is growing so slowly. Hence we are going to see if I'm eligible for the RFA (Radiofrequency Ablation) and then rather than wonder about the other few tiny spots that may or may not be cancer... just burn them all away, which would avoid having to go on chemo again and/or surgery.

So, you might want to ask your oncologist if the biopsy does prove that it's cancer, might you be a candidate for RFA since it is the most less-invasive of the treatments.

Keep us posted!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Thank you
    Yes I will keep you posted, my biopsy is Friday and the results on the 12th, and I will ask my ONC about RFA if it does prove to be cancer. Thanks for the info. God Bless
    Beth
  • dorookie

Keep us posted!
    Hey Beth,

Keep us posted!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

where did you find info on RFA
    From what I was finding RFA does not replace chemo, its in addition to Chemo. Used primarily for pepole that cant handle surgery. Where did you find info saying that it would replace chemo? I have my biopsy in the morining, and have been so excited to find out about RFA, but from what I have read it doesnt replace chemo, like I said it just aid it. Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks
    Beth
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375 Member
    dorookie said:

where did you find info on RFA
    From what I was finding RFA does not replace chemo, its in addition to Chemo. Used primarily for pepole that cant handle surgery. Where did you find info saying that it would replace chemo? I have my biopsy in the morining, and have been so excited to find out about RFA, but from what I have read it doesnt replace chemo, like I said it just aid it. Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks
    Beth

RFA/Chemo/Surgery
    Hey Beth,

RFA is another procedure that can be used in conjunction with chemo, surgery or on it's own. In my case, my oncologist would like to avoid putting me on chemo if it is at all possible because we want to reserve chemo for when we really need it. At this time, the tumours in my lungs are very small and if the radiologist can burn them out, avoiding having to put me through chemo and/or surgery, then that is the ideal plan.

Here's one website about RFA:

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=rfalung&bhcp=1

Note the one sentence in there:

RFA is not intended to replace surgery, radiation therapy or chemotherapy in all patients. It may be effective when used alone or in conjunction with these treatments.

So, in my particular case... if I am a candidate for it, we are going to try to do the RFA on it's own. Obviously, after the fact, they will be monitoring me like a hawk to see if this does the trick or if we need more in the way of chemo or surgery.

Hope this helps with answering your question, Beth!! Good luck tomorrow!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Today!
    Hi Beth,

I'm sorry I am late in responding to your biopsy being scheduled. I am praying that it goes well. I can remember my procedure as though it were yesterday. I did not know the radiologist who performed my biopsy, but he tested the nodule while I still on the table and told me it was OK before I even got dressed. I am sorry you are having to wait over the weekend. The waiting is the worst. Sending you courage and strength to get through the next few days.

Hugs,

Kay
  • dorookie

RFA/Chemo/Surgery
    Hey Beth,

RFA is another procedure that can be used in conjunction with chemo, surgery or on it's own. In my case, my oncologist would like to avoid putting me on chemo if it is at all possible because we want to reserve chemo for when we really need it. At this time, the tumours in my lungs are very small and if the radiologist can burn them out, avoiding having to put me through chemo and/or surgery, then that is the ideal plan.

Here's one website about RFA:

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=rfalung&bhcp=1

Note the one sentence in there:

RFA is not intended to replace surgery, radiation therapy or chemotherapy in all patients. It may be effective when used alone or in conjunction with these treatments.

So, in my particular case... if I am a candidate for it, we are going to try to do the RFA on it's own. Obviously, after the fact, they will be monitoring me like a hawk to see if this does the trick or if we need more in the way of chemo or surgery.

Hope this helps with answering your question, Beth!! Good luck tomorrow!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

thamks for the info
    Iwill read it later, off to my biopsy now. Keep your fingers crossed it comes back with no beast. God Bless All
    Beth
  • dorookie
    Kanort said:

Today!
    Hi Beth,

I'm sorry I am late in responding to your biopsy being scheduled. I am praying that it goes well. I can remember my procedure as though it were yesterday. I did not know the radiologist who performed my biopsy, but he tested the nodule while I still on the table and told me it was OK before I even got dressed. I am sorry you are having to wait over the weekend. The waiting is the worst. Sending you courage and strength to get through the next few days.

Hugs,

Kay

Hope I am as lucky as you were
    Thanks for your post, I sure hope I get a slucky as you. I wish they would be able to tell as soon as yours did, I am going to ask them. Maybe they will be able to tell, cant hurt to ask. Well I am off to the hospital now, talk to everyone later. God Bless.. Beth