Report on CT

Options
saundra
saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Well, the CT scan did not show anything, but they don't show spots or lesions less than 1 cm. The physical detected nothing either but because the CA-125 is such a good marker for me, a rise from below 10 to 50 in two months indicates that something is growing and we just can't see it yet. I have three choices
(1) Continue to watch CA-125 and symptoms. He does not think my bloating and gas is caused by cancer because there is so little of it. (2) Start a new full regimen of chemo (Doxil). (3) Do an in-between choice of hormonal medication in pill form of tamoxifin or lexitrol which works on some OVÇA. Taking another month off would not make any difference. He doesn't think doing nothing would be a good choice, but waiting a month would not make any difference. I welcome all imput. I will meet with the oncologist Monday and see what he says. Today's appointment was with the gyn/onc surgeon. (((Hugs))) Saundra

Comments

• Lauracec
    Lauracec Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Hi Saundra, I'm so glad that
    Hi Saundra, I'm so glad that nothing shows up at this point. and that you do have choices. and I will be praying that nothing ever shows up. that is a possibility. I think if it were me since the doctor said a month wouldn,t make a difference I would want to try the oral medication asap and then recheck ca-125 in a month. I of course have not looked into the side effects of the oral so realy don't know what i'm talking about but maybe they are not as harsh as the chemo. Laura
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Hi Saundra that is great news! ~~~~doing the dance for you! I was wondering if you read Sue's post on the hormonal meds, they have worked wonders for her, it beats waiting a month.

I have asked my Doc about them but he says once you reach the point where the cancer is as large as mine is on ctscan it is too late for them to work. He says they do work for lots of women who start taking them when their ca125 is the only indicator. Then he added that sometimes at the end they use them also. Not sure I would want to go out having hot flashes, LOL.

It may worth a try for at least a month(just my 2cents worth), but wait and see what all the women here respond with.

Anyway that is great news that there are not any scan reports to confirm anything yet. Thanks for the update and I'll be watching and reading to see what is next.

Sending lots of hugs n prayers your way. Bonnie
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    GOOD NEWS!
    Saundra:
    So glad to hear there's nothing 'significant' to report. I know you still need to address the situation, but at least you have one opinion, and will get another on Monday. And, as always, the ladies here are wealth of experience and support. At my recurrance, I had no symptoms, nothing showed up on the diagnostic tests - but my CA125 starting steadily climbing. That was the giveaway for me. Even after a few months of no real indications of anything, once my CA125 got to 32 (after being 18 for a couple of years), my doctor suggested surgery. That's when he found the small growth, removed it, and I started chemo again. So, this is anyone's guess. You just have to follow you heart and instinct. I'm sure you'll find the best choice for you.

Luv & Hugs!
    Monika
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    News
    Saundra - great news that the CT scan didn't show anything! My two cents worth would be to not wait - at least try something so you are being proactive. My oncologist who is also my surgeon said that if my number went over 35, immediately they would start doing things - no waiting around. I know you must be scared - but we are all here pulling for you and sending you good thoughts from all parts of the globe. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Sending a hug.

Kris
  • ggggsister
    ggggsister Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Good news
    Hi Saundra, I'm glad to hear your scans were clear. I'm glad, too, that your docs have options for you. I've been thinking of you, and will continue to.
    Gail
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Saundra, thanks for keeping us informed. I'm sure you must be relieved that there is nothing on the CT! This is such good news. On the other hand, being in "limbo" can be stressful I'm sure. I'm praying that you can glean some wisdom from your oncologist and meanwhile have peace about what to do!!

Many blessings to you,
    Kathleen:)
  • MichaelaMarie
    MichaelaMarie Member Posts: 163
    Options
    kayandok said:

Hi Saundra, thanks for keeping us informed. I'm sure you must be relieved that there is nothing on the CT! This is such good news. On the other hand, being in "limbo" can be stressful I'm sure. I'm praying that you can glean some wisdom from your oncologist and meanwhile have peace about what to do!!

Many blessings to you,
    Kathleen:)

Hi Saundra, I agree that the CT scan is good news. I might fall on the side of those that say not to wait. I waited three months, and now I have a "mass" of 3 1/2 centimeters on my colon, plus another two sites, plus a 20% increase on two lymph nodes. But, I must say the "chemo break" is wonderful! Finally, your body starts to feel a little normal again. Best wishes to you with whatever you decide!!! Luv, prayers and hugs, MM
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    scan results
    Hi Saundra,
    I think that I would try the pill form for the next month. Of course that is just me and I'm a grade 1,what is your grade?? After I complete this current chemo my Onc is going to try me on a pill form chemo,in an attempt to stretch out my remission times. You have been on chemo for a very long time and I believe you deserve a break..but the what if's would drive me crazy!! Good luck!!!(((hugz))~~Joanne
  • saundra
    Options
    All I know is Stage IV
    All I know is Stage IV because of he metastatices to the liver. No mention of any numbers or letters after.
    Thanks for the advice. Saundra
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    saundra said:

All I know is Stage IV
    All I know is Stage IV because of he metastatices to the liver. No mention of any numbers or letters after.
    Thanks for the advice. Saundra

Great News
    Hi Saundra, such great news that your CT Scan came back clear. I am in the same boat as you with the CA-125, my doctor didn't want to wait and see what happens and neither did I, so I just started Doxil after being on carbo/taxol for 8 cycles.I know that you have been through a lot of Chemo but if your CA-125 is starting to rise I wouldn't stop now. Good Luck! Sending you buckets of hugs!!
    Terry
  • saundra
    Options
    Doxil
    Did they tell you how many cycles. How are you tolerating it? I'll find out Monday what they want me to take. Saundra
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    saundra said:

Doxil
    Did they tell you how many cycles. How are you tolerating it? I'll find out Monday what they want me to take. Saundra

Doxil
    I will be getting 6 cycles. I had my first one last Monday, my next one will be on 11/3.
    I followed what everyone had posted about the Doxil, ice packs on ankles and wrists , no tight clothing,no hot foods,cool showers and keeping your skin well hydrated with cream. Everything went well for me. I hope everything goes good for you Monday.Let us know what happens.
    Hugs and Prayers,
    Terry
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Estrogen
    Hi Saundra,

Tamoxifen is prescribed to deplete estrogen (which feeds ovarian cancer) in the body. It's cut my CA-125 from 284 to its current 114, with minimal side effects. I've noticed my nails are a little more brittle, and I've had hot flashes since about three months after I started taking it. My CA-125 went up for a couple of months after I started taking it, then dropped just a little, then steadily went down. To give you an idea of the time frame, I started taking it in April this year, after my level had risen to 142, and it went up to 284 in July, but has fallen since then, so it hasn't shown a quick result. I had a CT scan and a PET scan before I started taking it, and two CT scans since then, and still don't show anything.

I had some anxiety about taking another drug, but it's not been hard on me.