Minor problem, but looking for suggestions...

CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,

This s a minor problem, but if anyone has a suggestion???

I am almost 6 weeks post-op. I am able to wear a sports bra and I have a very lightweight prosthesis...no problem there.

My problem is that the bra strap goes directly over where my port is and it is causing pain.

I have tried padding the strap a bit and it works for a little while, but then the site of the port starts to sting again.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the same problem, or any ideas on how to wear the bra without causing pain there. Or am I back to undershirts forever...LOL!!

Thanks!
CR

Comments

• sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Had the same problem
    I had the same problem while I was having the port. I had to take the bra out at home, and use it only when going outside. With time it got better, and could use the bra longer hours.
    Be careful with the skin where is the port, that doesn't get hurt.
    Take care
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Suggestion
    How about a cami bra from Walmart for under ten dollars? I used that after a chest operation and was surprised that it worked without aggravating all the incisions for me. It had a shelf bra and my foam-filled prosthesis could sit in or I could pin it in with a safety pin. I have seen a post recently talking about some various net sites that sell different bras (strapless?) for prostheses that might have the straps in different spots. You could also call a boutique that fits folks for prostheses and see what they can recommend. I wish doctors would realize where bra straps go before they make their choices, but I know sometimes they have to fit things in where the other body parts dictate. It is still a bother!
  • Ginger7286
    Ginger7286 Member Posts: 13
    Minor Problem
    After my port was put in I noticed they placed it right where the strap for my sports bra sits. Mine are fairly well used so the strap does not bind. Sometimes though you just need some relief. I found just not placing that strap on my arm and letting it lie next to my side was so much better. I also wear baggy shirts right now so you cannot see the strap if I chose not to thread my arm through it. I am not sure when you had your port put in (mine was 6 days ago) but it does feel better with each passing day.
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    maybe
    I would try another bra and have found some great ones at Walmart of all places. You could try one of your old ones and see if they are comfortable and have a seamtress add the pockets to your old bras. The biggest thing is to not aggravate the port site. Angela
  • CR1954
    Thank you...
    Thank you for all of your great suggestions and advice! I knew I would get some great ideas here!

The port was placed two weeks ago, and has healed beautifully. Maybe with just a bit more time though, it won't be so sensitive in that area. I will give all of these suggestions a try! And I will also be very careful with the area!

Thanks again, dear friends!!

CR
  • kew
    kew Member Posts: 24
    Here's what I did...
    I went braless as much as possible and still do.

But when I needed to reign in "the girls" I wore one of those cami-bras, but tucked the port-side strap down in the bra. I didn't need both straps to keep it up.

I did have a lightweight strapless bra too, but it kept starting to fall down, so I liked having at least one strap.

Hope you're doing great!

KEW
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thank you...
    Thank you for all of your great suggestions and advice! I knew I would get some great ideas here!

The port was placed two weeks ago, and has healed beautifully. Maybe with just a bit more time though, it won't be so sensitive in that area. I will give all of these suggestions a try! And I will also be very careful with the area!

Thanks again, dear friends!!

CR

Time WILL make it better...
    2 weeks is a rather short amount of time. As others have said, I wore loose tops, and even tube tops (MAN...can you tell I'm a 70's child????) instead of a bra for awhile. My port was right in the way with many blouses, but over time the skin became tougher.

Hugs, Kathi
  • CR1954
    Thank you! And I found...
    Thank you all!

I was strolling through Wal-Mart toay and found a Vasserette bra, that has the straps more to the far outside of the cups, meant to wear with low, open collars... I bought one, and the strap actually now come to about an inch outside of where the port is, instead of direcly over it. Works very well! It was under $10, so I am happy to have found it.

However, undershirts are so much more comfy when at home...LOL!

Had second round of chemo today, and am doing well tonight, so far.

Onwards and upwards!!

CR