Wigged Out

dixchi
dixchi Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Would like to hear from others how they are coping with hair loss. I started
chemo in April before surgery and now have to have chemo again until early Dec.
What has grown back will be lost again. Am so self conscious about wearing my
wig but I look the best in it. Feel some people are staring at me; some people
probably know it is a wig; others not. Not to mention that it itches sometimes
and moves around on my head so I feel like I am repositioning it all the time.
Hope there's no strong winds, LOL. It is awful to feel even more socially
uncomfortable when everything else is happening as well.

Comments

• lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Wigged Out
    For a guy not having hair is sexy... Not so for a women unless you are Demi Moore! When I did chemo I got my hair cut shorter. I also wished I could pick the hair I could loose.. Like on my legs, under the arms anywhere but my head. I did have my hair thin but was lucky that I didn't loose it all. I has grown back but now I have a scalp condition that is thinning my hair more. Not very attractive but it could be worse. I could not be around to complain about thinning hair. I have friends that are making me feel good about some of the outward issues of my cancer. Like the scar on my chest I work on hiding. Think of it as a badge of honor to show that you have gotten through cancer and are fighting this terrible disease. HUGS.

Lisa F
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Hair loss
    I am sorry you are having to head back into chemo and am expecting your hair to fall out again. I have had it happen two separate times and I was very surprised just how devastating it was when it left! I always thought i wouldn't care... Anyhow, the first time around i wore wigs and hats; wigs to church and other places I felt conspicuous with no hair, the knitted and crocheted hats everywhere else. I got wig liners to help with the fit of the wigs and they cut down on the itchiness somewhat as well. Good thing it will be winter time so the wigs will help keep your head warm! It helps to take pictures and looks at yourself with a wig on, they feel so much bigger and obvious than they actually look! People who know you know you've lost your hair so it's no big deal, people who don't know you really can't tell you are wearing one! The second time around i just didn't wear any of my wigs at all; i chose to just knit and crochet a bevy of hats, one to match whatever i was wearing and that worked so much better for me. I even use some very light yarn for the warmer weather. I make hats for fellow survivors as well, even if they wear wigs during the day cause there's nothing like a soft skull cap at night to keep your head warm! Your wigs might be too big for you and that's why they move so much; the TLC catalog from the american cancer society really has a lot of products that help. http://www.tlcdirect.org/ is the link and is where i got my liners. I even purchased some of the hair pieces to wear with knitted caps to feel like I had SOME hair! Good luck with your new treatments and before you know it you will be done and the hair will be growing back in again! My prayers are with you. Mary
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    I lost my hair twice. It
    I lost my hair twice. It looked so patchy that I just had it shaved real close to the scalp. In the winter it was great, because it just replaced a hat. As soon as the hair started growing back to where it looked as if I deliberaty chose the GI Jane look, I kept the wig off except for special occasions. At the end of the day, do what makes you feel good, and comfortable. I stopped worrying about what people thought a long time ago. I think we have enough challenges without making that one of them. Monica
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    I had my hair cut to a
    I had my hair cut to a shorter style right after surgery. At the beginning of chemo my hair fell out in clumps. I used to have to draino the tub weekly. Now it doesn't fall out as much and I never truly lost all of it. It did thin alot especially on the sides. I keep the crown layered and use volumizing gell and that makes it look more full. I have wigs but haven't had to wear them. I went to the american cancer society "look good feel better" program at our local chapter and they taught us ways to wear scarfs, wig and makeup too. See if that is available in your area. Good luck to you on this next round.
  • dixchi
    High Winds
    This is so funny; I just had to send it along.
    We are getting high winds today off Hurricane
    Ike.....like 33 to 49 mph.....guess today is
    not a wig day.....LOL
  • fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member

Wigged Out
    For a guy not having hair is sexy... Not so for a women unless you are Demi Moore! When I did chemo I got my hair cut shorter. I also wished I could pick the hair I could loose.. Like on my legs, under the arms anywhere but my head. I did have my hair thin but was lucky that I didn't loose it all. I has grown back but now I have a scalp condition that is thinning my hair more. Not very attractive but it could be worse. I could not be around to complain about thinning hair. I have friends that are making me feel good about some of the outward issues of my cancer. Like the scar on my chest I work on hiding. Think of it as a badge of honor to show that you have gotten through cancer and are fighting this terrible disease. HUGS.

Lisa F

lisa,
    great attitude about

lisa,
    great attitude about it could have been worse. everyday i look at the situations i face and say yes it could be worse!!!. good positive attitude, keep it up. thru my whole journey i have tried to stay positive and i feel that has been a big reason i am still here .
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Go Natural!
    Hi there,
    With the Camptsar, I too, lost most of my hair. It got so thin that I just Buzzed it. It was during the summer and like you, the wig itched and I didn't feel comfortable. Just not me. Sooooo....as my brother suggested..."Wear lots of make-up and BIG earrings!" And you know what? He was right. I felt so much better. (during the cooler months, I had some really nice hats, from the ACS section at the hospital)

And you know something else? I believe they (the people that are looking at us, specially women) are acutally intimidated by this. Go figure. Here we think we look awful or self conscience and those looking at us, are thinking ...wow , that's cool or I hope I can do that if I need to or..she's brave.

I remember sitting at a restuarant and yes, I did see some people looking, briefly, but I loved it. I just kept my head up high.

I remember someone on this site (which I don't remember who it was now) said to me ( when I was stuggling with something to do or not to do), "You can do anything. You have/had cancer." I took that to heart and anytime I felt I couldn't do something, I thought of those words.

You do what you feel comfortable with and hold your head high!

Claudia

PS There are some really nice looking BIG earrings out there! >>>grin>>
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    A little inspiration...
    Hello dixchi...Dixie Chick(?)....

You got some good tips from the others here...I really can't offer anymore other than some inspiration...

I am not my hair
    I am not this skin
    I am not your expectations, no, no
    I am not my hair
    I am not this skin
    I am a soul that lives within...
    India Arie - I Am Not My Hair

check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQd2OJoG67w

Hugs!!!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    usakat said:

A little inspiration...
    Hello dixchi...Dixie Chick(?)....

You got some good tips from the others here...I really can't offer anymore other than some inspiration...

I am not my hair
    I am not this skin
    I am not your expectations, no, no
    I am not my hair
    I am not this skin
    I am a soul that lives within...
    India Arie - I Am Not My Hair

check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQd2OJoG67w

Hugs!!!

YouTube video
    Thanks for posting that video, Kat! That was awesome! Mary
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Is it ok to laugh?
    Ok, I get through everything with humor so I hope this helps someone else. Many of you will have already seen it, but here it is for those who haven't:

Three Hairs
    by Unknown

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head....

"YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    kimby said:

Is it ok to laugh?
    Ok, I get through everything with humor so I hope this helps someone else. Many of you will have already seen it, but here it is for those who haven't:

Three Hairs
    by Unknown

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head....

"YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"

LOVE IT!!
    This is great and made my day! I have heard it before but I still laughed. The best way to get through this sometimes is laugh. HUGS.

Lisa F.
  • dixchi
    High Winds
    Well, I stopped laughing about high wnds and wigs this weekend
    when Hurricane Ike and a low front from Canada slammed into
    Cincinnati and N. Ky and SE Ind. and left 800.000 people without
    power since Sunday afternoon.....just got mine back tonight (Tuesday)
    thanks to the power company pulling in 200 out of state power workers
    to help......mostly downed trees and power lines......missed my coffee,
    TV and computer.

Just read your fun and inspiring comments about hair loss......they
    and you are wonderful!!
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    dixchi said:

High Winds
    Well, I stopped laughing about high wnds and wigs this weekend
    when Hurricane Ike and a low front from Canada slammed into
    Cincinnati and N. Ky and SE Ind. and left 800.000 people without
    power since Sunday afternoon.....just got mine back tonight (Tuesday)
    thanks to the power company pulling in 200 out of state power workers
    to help......mostly downed trees and power lines......missed my coffee,
    TV and computer.

Just read your fun and inspiring comments about hair loss......they
    and you are wonderful!!

power
    Glad you finally got power back! I've have many appointments cancel this week because they didn't have power or just got it back. Bad for business but good for resting up!

Catch up here, have a second pot of coffee and watch Dr Phil! LOL

Kimby