Where are you from?

Comments

• Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Not as interesting as others but...
    I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and my family moved to Canada during the time of the military (remember, los desaparecidos). Not that my family was in any way affiliated to any political ties, but it seemed like a good time to try something new. I was supposed to move back when I was 18 and after a 6 week visit found that I could not do it. I had fallen in love with Canada. I have visited the States numerous times, and I think I would have been equally happy if I had landed there. Monica
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    NORTHWOODS CHICK
    Greetings from the North!

I live in Northern Minnesota in a log cabin on 40 acres with the wolves, moose, bear, and mountain lion who literally live in our forest. Yesterday my little one (in the photo with me) and my hubby and I were hiking in our woods and heard a moose. Many a night we hear the call of the wolves and my sled dogs answer in song. When I go dogsledding I see mountain lion tracks in the snow and scat and urine along the trail.

But before this......born in Wisconsin, went to Madison GO BADGERS!, moved to Germany to be with my future hubby (whom I met there--he's Canadian-American), came back and moved to Montana to fly fish and ski, had a baby and then moved back to Wisconsin had three more babies before moving to MN 15 years ago. Then had another baby 8 years ago. Then got colon cancer and moved onto these boards. Am a lifer. What can I say! haha

I love the winter but not 9 months of it. Minnesota Nice is alive and well up here, right Mark?

peace, emily
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Jimbob- said:

Florida
    I live in Pensacola,

Raised in Massillon, Ohio, went toOhio U, spent 22 Years in the marine corps.Retired in Pensacola.

Marine Corps
    Awesome, Jimbob! My father was Navy medical service corps so we lived on quite a few marine corps bases. I went to high school at camp lejeune and enjoy reunions which we have every 5 years for everybody whoever went to school there! We also lived at Camp Pendleton, but I don't remember it, i wasn't even in kindergarten!
    Mary
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Ohio, then Hawaii
    Grew up in Lima, Ohio and moved to Hawaii in 1971. Never really cared for the winters in Ohio, or the summers either. I live in Waimanalo, which is a partly rural little town on the east shore of Oahu with orchid nurseries and horse ranches, a half hour's drive from Honolulu. My visage is that of thrush living in my yard, named Thaddeus by my wife.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    2bhealed said:

NORTHWOODS CHICK
    Greetings from the North!

I live in Northern Minnesota in a log cabin on 40 acres with the wolves, moose, bear, and mountain lion who literally live in our forest. Yesterday my little one (in the photo with me) and my hubby and I were hiking in our woods and heard a moose. Many a night we hear the call of the wolves and my sled dogs answer in song. When I go dogsledding I see mountain lion tracks in the snow and scat and urine along the trail.

But before this......born in Wisconsin, went to Madison GO BADGERS!, moved to Germany to be with my future hubby (whom I met there--he's Canadian-American), came back and moved to Montana to fly fish and ski, had a baby and then moved back to Wisconsin had three more babies before moving to MN 15 years ago. Then had another baby 8 years ago. Then got colon cancer and moved onto these boards. Am a lifer. What can I say! haha

I love the winter but not 9 months of it. Minnesota Nice is alive and well up here, right Mark?

peace, emily

log cabin on 40 acres sounds heavenly!
    Sounds like you live in the perfect place to relax and continue your journey of healing!
    mary
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    nudgie said:

Northern Virginia
    Born and raised in Northern Virginia (outside DC). Moved to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia in 2004. Beautiful countryside, but miss Virginia.

I was born in
    I was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Lived there until I was 21, then moved to Richmond, then to a little place called Hartfield (Tidewater area). Almost 6 years ago we moved here to NC so I could take care of the grandchildren. I love doing that, but I sure do miss my house on the river in Virginia.

Gail
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi Mary,
    Spent the first 21 years of my life in Pittsburgh, moved to the Boston area and have been here ever since. Judy
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    KC Barbecue and Tornadoes
    I grew up in a small town in Missouri outside Kansas City. When I was in college, I moved to Alabama and stayed there 22 years. I loved the South, but moved back to the Midwest for a promotion. Guess I love tornadoes, since both Alabama and Missouri have frequent tornadoes. I moved to Lee's Summit, which is a suburb of Kansas City, 16 years ago. I met my current husband here, so I'll be eating Kansas City barbecue instead of southern barbecue for the rest of my life.
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi,
    Born In Brisbane in

Hi,
    Born In Brisbane in Queensland Australia. I live on the Sunshine coast a hundred kliks north of brisbane. My boat is anchored up on the Caloundra twelve mile reef. hard to take.....
  • cjf2006
    cjf2006 Member Posts: 83
    I was born and raised in Massachusetts, lived briefly in Sunnyvale,CA after getting married, bounced around for a few years between southeast PA (near Valley Forge)and Mass., then moved to eastern Tennessee. We have lived in this area for 13 years. I liked Pennsylvania the best.
  • doris2657
    doris2657 Member Posts: 38
    Germany to Texas
    HI

I was born and raised in Germany then 30 yrs ago I moved to Texas been here ever since.

Love to all and God bless you.

Doris
  • Sandi1
    Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
    rthornton said:

Atlanta
    I'm in Atlanta. A couple of years ago I posted a similar question in a thread called "SEX AND MONEY!!!" (I gave it that title because I really wanted to know where people were located and so I had to make sure they'd read the question). You can search it and see who all was posting back then and where they were located at the time. Many of the people who responded are still active on the forum.

Hi rthornton
    Hi, I just read your profile - you are similar to my husband. Stage 4 with mets to liver and lung. He is having the tumor removed from his colon on Sept 15th. today is our first visit with the oncologist. We are not quite sure what to expect. I am planning on asking her about side effects, nutrition (because I heard and read that if you eat properly it helps the chemo to work better). I am encouraged that you are in remission right now, and it's been 3 years since your diagnoses, that will help my husband battle harder. Every day we wake up and I say to him - still ready to fight? and why are we fighting? and we are going to do everything in our power to beat this aren't we?

any thoughts would be helpful
    thank you
    Sandi
  • brn2ride
    brn2ride Member Posts: 32
    Born and raised in Nebraska
    Very interesting thread. So many of ya have traveled a lot. I have led a pretty sheltered life I guess. I lived in iowa for a while but since I am on the border of iowa and nebraska it really wasn't much of a move. I also lived in south dakota for a while in the black hills but then returned to "the good life" nebraska's motto
    I currently live in the city but have lived in the country on a few occasions so i could keep my horses on my own place. I currently own three horses that i board at a stable where my daughter works as a horse trainer. I learned the hard way that it hurts to ride to soon after after surgery :)
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Solvang Ca
    Born in the territory of Hawaii, lived throughout the USA as a son of a military fighter pilot (RI, Fl, Tx, SC, Virginia,Al, Az) but mostly southern Calif in the Laguan Beach / San Clemente area. I have lived and taught in the Santa Ynez Valley ove rthe last 20 years after going to UCSB.
    Thanks
    Chip
  • peterhw
    peterhw Member Posts: 69
    Taiwan
    I was born and raised in Taiwan. After college, move to USA in 1982. Have been living in northern Viginia since 1987. I am planning to be a "snow bird" travelling the US for the rest of my life.

Peter
    DX stage 4, 05/2008
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    Sandi1 said:

Hi rthornton
    Hi, I just read your profile - you are similar to my husband. Stage 4 with mets to liver and lung. He is having the tumor removed from his colon on Sept 15th. today is our first visit with the oncologist. We are not quite sure what to expect. I am planning on asking her about side effects, nutrition (because I heard and read that if you eat properly it helps the chemo to work better). I am encouraged that you are in remission right now, and it's been 3 years since your diagnoses, that will help my husband battle harder. Every day we wake up and I say to him - still ready to fight? and why are we fighting? and we are going to do everything in our power to beat this aren't we?

any thoughts would be helpful
    thank you
    Sandi

Hi Sandi
    Hi. Well, I should probably update my profile soon, as it was last updated a long long time ago, and a few things have happened (for starters, my hair grew back). It sounds like your husband must have just been diagnosed, if he's only now getting surgery. I had my original surgery in May of '05, but that left multiple liver mets and a lung lesion. They told me I was NED, from chemotherapy, by November '05. I've actually had a couple of recurrences since then, but the good side is that I now feel very healthy, it's been more than three years past an original six month prognosis and I'm still here and doing relatively well, and I'm going on with life. So, although it's been difficult sometimes, cancer treatment doesn't have to become one's entire identity or prevent one from moving on with life (of course it does change things in immense ways ...). I wish your husband the best in getting on with treatment, keeping the motivation to get rid of the cancer and carrying on with his life.

Yes, it seems that proper diet must help matters. I'm guilty, especially lately, of the worst eating habits ... but certainly diet and exercise help with tolerating treatment, maintaining energy level, etc. There are people much more qualified than me to talk about those matters.

All the best,
    Rodney
  • FlSunshine
    FlSunshine Member Posts: 7
    Florida
    Hi Mary,

I'm from Jacksonville, Florida. Born in Vidalia, Georgia and lived in various parts of U.S. as a child (father was in Navy). Moved to Jacksonville in 1965, so this is home.

Christie
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Nice post!
    I was born in Cuba and raised between Cuba and Spain,(parents were from Spain)Is a long story so making it short,whole family moved to Miami Florida, have been living here since 1967.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    msccolon said:

log cabin on 40 acres sounds heavenly!
    Sounds like you live in the perfect place to relax and continue your journey of healing!
    mary

It is heavenly
    Hi Mary,

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Moving up here was all about my healing. We previously had a farm ministry (brought inner city kids out to the farm among other things) an hour outside of MPLS but due to my choice to heal from cancer using alternative medicine, we had to sell it. When my FIL died and left this cabin, it was a no-brainer for us to move here.

My plan is to someday open this up to others who need a "peace" of heaven while healing from cancer. What with the sauna, hot tub, miles of hiking trails (literally) right out our front door, and the charm of a log cabin, it's also is a no-brainer.

My FIL died from complications from stomach cancer surgery and his wife died from lung cancer and they loved it so up here. I just want to share it all. Of course, I have to rear the rest of my children and get them up and out of here first! haha. It might be a little like sardines in the hot tub and I'm sure naked strangers in the sauna would freak them out! :-)

peace, emily
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    ron50 said:

Hi,
    Born In Brisbane in

Hi,
    Born In Brisbane in Queensland Australia. I live on the Sunshine coast a hundred kliks north of brisbane. My boat is anchored up on the Caloundra twelve mile reef. hard to take.....

Son in Brisbane
    Hey Ron,
    My son is spending a semester abroad in Brisbane....small world when you get right down to it! He is going to UQ, and staying somewhere in Brisbane with a "home stay" mom. He is loving it already, having only been there for 2 weeks, but looking forward to many more great experiences. Hubby and I won't be able to visit now, but OZ is on our list for future travels! All the best, Judy