Overwhelmed

GRIZLUVER
GRIZLUVER Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi. I have finished treatment for StageIII lung cancer(June 11). My last CT scan showed that the cancer spots are shrinking. My 'problem' is that I get over one thing and then something else shows up (high thyroid numbers, ground glass infiltrates). My radiologist,the person who basically took me by my hand and helped me get through everything has retired. Basically, I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. I have an awesome husband and a great oncologist, not to mention all the love and support from family and friends. I think I just need to hear from people who have gone through this. I don't know what to expect, what is normal, how much can I do...etc. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated (and you would probably have a cling-on friend for the rest of your life-just kidding).

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Piece by Piece
    Yes, it can be overwhelming, it IS overwhelming, especially when it seems that it never ends. But, if you are around this site enough, you will realize that others have been hanging in there for a lot longer and putting up with a lot more, no matter WHAT you have gone through. I know because I have been where you are and I see everyday all that I have to be thankful for.

I am a head/neck cancer survivor from '05. Then, last June ('07) they said I had 10 months to live, maybe a couple of years. Then in August they decided that was a big Oops! and that an infection in my lungs had caused the misdiagnosis. Even so, there WAS a node, and I had a lobectomy on Jan 31 of this year, followed while recovering by a bout with a staph infection, MSSA, cousin to the dreaded MRSA. I ended up in the hospital for all of February.

Still, I am here, I am doing fine, and I will be going to see my newborn grandson (my first) this weekend.

So, let me just say to you that it is definitely worth it! All of it!

You might try checking into the chatroom here, where there are a bunch of folks with various experiences, some as survivors, some as caregivers, some as both, but all of whom are glad to listen to you and to provide some comfort and some common, shared experiences.

I look forward to seeing you there griz!

In the meantime, best wishes to you and your family. It sounds as though you are fortunate to have them!

Take care,

Joe
  • maggie_h
    maggie_h Member Posts: 2
    How are you doing?
    Griz,
    How are you?
  • grandmado
    grandmado Member Posts: 10
    coping
    I was diagnosed in 2003 with NSCLC 111B and had chemo and radiation simultaneously. I, too, had radiation pneumonitis (ground glass)pains, fever, colapsed lung, etc. Hang in there. I am 76 yrs old and in remission now. I get CT scans every 3 months. You need to take one day at a time, do what you can and don't feel badly about what you can't do. your energy level will improve over time. Think positively. You may email me if you wish.
    Hang tight.
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    I'm sorry to hear about your
    I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I just had vats surgery 8 weeks ago for stage 1a lung cancer. Cancer is scarey you are lucky to have great family and doctors.