Oxiplatin stopped

Madre
Madre Member Posts: 123
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Due to the nerve damage issue in my hands this last treatment (#8 out of 12) the doctor didn't give me the oxiplatin part of the FOLFOX treatment. Has anyone else had to stop it and still have positive ending results (NED)? I was happy not to have it but just want to make sure it isn't going to hamper the long term effects. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• krystiesq
    krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
    Doc stopped my mom's after
    Doc stopped my mom's after 12. She now just gets 5fu + avastin. Her disease is stable right now, so we can't complain. She had significant nerve issues with oxliplatin. They are very slowly subsiding.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    FOLFOX stopped
    Rejoice that you made it through 8 of those treatments! I had to stop after 3, due to issues with my hands as well. At that time we continued with just the 5FU and Leucovorin. I did have a recurrence, but i am now 2 years out from the recurrence and NED. I have no lingering nerve damage from the Oxaliplatin, and didn't get any with the CPT-11 we have done since. Speak to your doc if you have any concerns. Good luck with finishing your treatments and let us know how it goes! Mary
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Oxaliplatin
    I had to stop oxaliplatin after five treatments and continued with 5FU and leucovorin ( which was the standard for many years) and am currently 1.5 years NED. Many people have to stop some parts of chemo because the risk/benefit reward isn't worth it. Try not to worry about it, the odds are you will be fine. I decided to think that my body responded incredibly proactively to the chemo (there is some evidence to support this) so I couldn't tolerate as much. Also my dose was reduced three times.

Pam
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    help for neuropathy
    Hi,

I just wanted to give you a tip on dealing with the neuropathy that I also experienced from Oxaliplatin & Cisplatin. Somewhere I read about taking both vitamin B-6 and L-Glutamine. I can't say 100% for sure that this is what helped me, but about 4 weeks of taking these two every day, I realized that I had "forgotten" about my hands and fingers being numb and weak. I'd say my strength and feeling in my fingers/hands have returned to about 90% normal. My feet have also improved, but not quite as much as my hands have. Definitely worth trying!!
    Lisa
  • doris2657
    doris2657 Member Posts: 38
    oxiliplatin
    I had 8 sofar 4 to go had no problem with oxiliplatin,except my first one my onc lowered the dose and been fine sofar,sorry you had problems with it.

Doris
  • kmswisher
    kmswisher Member Posts: 1
    Oxaliplatin
    I was first diagnosed in Feb 2004. After surgery, the treatment plan included Oxaliplatin, Leucovorin & Fluorouracil (5-FU). After 6 months of chemotherapy I was "cancer free". Again in Dec 2007 I was again diagnosed. Had the surgery. This time due to the neuropathy in my fingers which is cumulative, my oncologist changed from that to Irinotecan (CPT-11). I got through the chemotherapy without the neuropathy increasing and without the nausea and mouth sores and the diarhea was only occasional. I will find out in October when I get the Cat Scan if I am cancer free once again.
  • happy06
    happy06 Member Posts: 3
    Stopping Oxaliplatin
    My Onc stopped by Oxaliplatin after 4 treatment due to numbness in my fingers and toes. It has been 4 years and I still have not regained the feeling in my toes.