Cimetidene (tagamet) before and after colorectal surgeyr

lesvanb
lesvanb Member Posts: 905
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all

I am new to this site, and appreciate that you a e all here. I have stage 4 rectal cancer with one met to the liver which so far is resectable. I will be having a LAR surgery 9/10 to remove the primary tumor which shrunk to ulcer size after chemo/radiation, then after PET scan to liver 10/17 and all is a go, will be scheduled for a liver resection. I have researched and found articles saying that taking cimetidine before and after surgery helps diminish any micro cancer cells from spreading. Most articles are from the 90's and it's difficult getting recent info. Anyone have any more info?

Leslie

Comments

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Hi Leslie,
    I read an article

Hi Leslie,
    I read an article about this fairly recently in Life Extension magazine which is a publication of lifeextension.com...
    At least I think that is the website. It is an organization of alternative practitioners working to get the word out about medicines that are not on the FDA approval list (for certain uses). At any rate, I have heard that Tagamet can help to prevent recurrences. I spoke to my oncologist about it and she said go for it "at least you won't have heartburn". I think you should use everything in your "arsenal" that you can to fight this disease. I have consulted with an N.D. on and off since I was diagnosed back in 2001, and I feel a lot of my success has to do with the knowledge that I have gained about alternative healing in addition to wonderful surgeons!
    Take care,
    Susan
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905

Hi Leslie,
    I read an article

Hi Leslie,
    I read an article about this fairly recently in Life Extension magazine which is a publication of lifeextension.com...
    At least I think that is the website. It is an organization of alternative practitioners working to get the word out about medicines that are not on the FDA approval list (for certain uses). At any rate, I have heard that Tagamet can help to prevent recurrences. I spoke to my oncologist about it and she said go for it "at least you won't have heartburn". I think you should use everything in your "arsenal" that you can to fight this disease. I have consulted with an N.D. on and off since I was diagnosed back in 2001, and I feel a lot of my success has to do with the knowledge that I have gained about alternative healing in addition to wonderful surgeons!
    Take care,
    Susan

Life extension
    Thanks Susan for your info. I originally became aware of Tagamet through LEF. I am having surgery 9/10 and it is recommended to take it 5 days before and then after. Thanks for the info and I agree with the complementary medicine. I also have an acupuncturist, ND, and anthroposophical DR helping me out which has been invaluable.
    warm regards, Leslie